Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong.
Copper and nickel uptake, accumulation and tolerance in Typha latifolia with and without iron plaque on the root surface
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 3, pages 481–488, July 1997
How to Cite
YE, Z. H., BAKER, A. J. M., WONG, M. H. and WILLIS, A. J. (1997), Copper and nickel uptake, accumulation and tolerance in Typha latifolia with and without iron plaque on the root surface. New Phytologist, 136: 481–488. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00758.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 15 October 1996; accepted 14 April 1997)
- 1967. The oxidising activity of roots in waterlogged soils. Physiologia Plantarum 20: 920–926.
- 1994. Mechanisms of flood tolerance in plants. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 43: 307–358. , , .
- 1961. Iron oxidation proximate to plant roots. Soil Science 92: 372–379. .
- 1994. Root-induced iron oxidation and pH changes in the lowland rice rhizosphere. New Phytologist 128: 469–477. , , ,
- 1991. Procedure for plant sample preparation for analysis by dry ashing. Analytical methods protocol, unpublished internal report, USDA, ARS Beltsville. .
- 1980. Iron coatings on rice roots: morphology and models of development. Journal of the Science Society of America 44: 1113–1119. , , .
- 1989. Location of radial oxygen loss and zone of potential iron uptake in a grass and two non-grass emergent species. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 717–722. , .
- 1986. Seasonal deposition of ferric hydroxide plaque on roots of wetland plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 64: 2120–2124. , .
- 1987. In: LindbergSE, HutchinsonTC, eds. Proceedings of the International Conference Heavy Metals in the Environment, New Orleans, USA, I: 404–406. Edinburgh : CEP Consultants. , , , ,
- 1991. Iron oxide plaque on wetland roots. Trends in Soil Science 1: 315–329. ,
- 1977. Oxidation of ferrous iron by rice (Oryza sativa L.) roots: a mechanism for waterlogging tolerance Journal of Experimental Botany 28: 678–690. , .
- 1994. Effects of iron plaque on roots of rice on growth and metal concentration of seeds and plant tissues when cultivated in excess copper. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 25: 2761–2769.
- 1995. Effect of iron plaque on roots of rice on growth of plants in excess zinc and accumulation of phosphorus in plants in excess copper or nickel. Journal of Plant Nutrition 18: 1659–1665.
- 1992. Amelioration of copper and nickel toxicity by iron plaque on roots of rice (Oryza sativa). Canadian Journal of Botany 70: 824–830. , .
- 1966. Sand and water culture methods used in the study of plant nutrition, 2nd edn. Technical Communication No. 22, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Farnham Royal, Bucks. .
- 1975. A treatise on limnology. Vol. 3. Limno-logical botany. New York : John Wiley and Sons. .
- 1991. Iron oxide deposition on axenic and non-axenic roots of rice seedlings (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Plant Nutrition 14: 375–386. , .
- 1995. Root-induced iron oxidation, pH changes and zinc solution in the rhizosphere of lowland rice. New Phytologist 131: 129–137. , .
- 1994. Coupled diffusion and oxidation of ferrous iron in soils. 3. Further development of the model and experimental testing. European Journal of Soil Science 45: 369–378. , .
- 1987. Soil factors influencing ferric hydroxide plaque formation on roots of Typha latifolia L. Plant and Soil 102: 177–184. , .
- 1985. Comparison of selected washing treatments on Agrostis gigantea samples from mine tailings near Copper Cliff, Ontario, before analysis for Cu, Ni, Fe and K content. Plant and Soil 85: 433–436. , , .
- 1974. Heavy metal tolerance in Typha latifolia without the evolution of tolerant races. Ecology 55: 1163–1165. , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Factors controlling the formation of oxidized root channels: a review. Wetlands 15: 37–46. , , .
- 1982. Elemental analysis of deposits on the roots of Spartina alterniflora Loisel. American Journal of Botany 69: 904–912. , .
- 1991. Uptake of arsenic by Aster tripolium in relation to rhizosphere oxidation. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 2670–2677. , , , .
- 1989. Iron plaque on roots of Aster tripolium L.: interaction with zinc uptake. New Phytologist 111: 309–317. , , , , .
- 1995. Root-induced solubilization of phosphate in the rhizosphere of lowland rice. New Phytologist 129: 325–336. , .
- 1996. The roles of internal iron hydroxide precipitation, sulphide toxicity and oxidizing ability in the survival of Stratiotes aloides roots at different iron concentrations in sediment pore water. New Phytologist 133: 253–260. , .
- 1987. Relation between Fe, Mn, Cu and Zn in root plaque and leaves of Phragmites australis. In: LindbergSE, HutchinsonTC, eds. Proceedings of the International Conference Heavy Metals in the Environment, New Orleans, USA, I: 466–468. Edinburgh : CEP Consultants. , .
- 1989. Factors affecting iron on the roots of Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steudel. Plant and Soil 116: 85–93. , .
- 1990. Manganese and copper in the root plaque of Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steudel. Soil Science 149: 191–198. , .
- 1993. Microscopic observations of the iron plaque of a submerged aquatic plant (Vallisneria americana Michx). Aquatic Botany 46: 155–167. , , .
- 1983a. Uptake and accumulation of heavy metals by Typha latifolia in wetlands of the Sudbury, Ontario region. Canadian Journal of Botany 61: 63–73. , .
- 1983b. Use of the DCB technique for extraction of hydrous iron oxides from roots of wetland plants. American Journal of Botany 70: 1254–1257. , .
- 1983c. Uptake and accumulation of copper, nickel, and iron by Typha latifolia grown in solution culture. Canadian Journal of Botany 61: 1825–1830. , .
- 1984. Formation and morphology of an iron plaque on the roots of Typha latifolia L. grown in solution culture. American Journal of Botany 71: 666–675. , ,
- 1996. Oxidation states and fractionation of plaque iron on roots of common reeds. Soil Science Society of America Journal 60: 323–329. , .
- 1988. Soil conditions and plant growth, 11th edn. Avon : The Bath Press.
- 1978. The measurement of tolerance to edaphic factors by means of root growth. New Phytologist 80: 623–633. .
- 1995. Heavy metal tolerance, uptake and accumulation in populations of Typha latifolia L. and Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steudel. Ph.D. thesis, University of Sheffield, UK . .
- 1994. Heavy metal tolerance, uptake and accumulation in populations of Typha latifolia L. and Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steudel. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Wetland Systems for Water Pollution Control, 6–10 November, 1994, Guangzhou, P. R. China, 297–306. , , .
- 1997. Zinc, lead and cadmium tolerance, uptake and accumulation by Typha latifolia. New Phytologist, 136: 469–480. , , , .