Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong.
Zinc, lead and cadmium tolerance, uptake and accumulation by Typha latifolia
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 3, pages 469–480, July 1997
How to Cite
YE, Z. H., BAKER, A. J. M., WONG, M. H. and WILLIS, A. J. (1997), Zinc, lead and cadmium tolerance, uptake and accumulation by Typha latifolia. New Phytologist, 136: 469–480. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00759.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 9 September 1996; accepted 18 March 1997)
- 1975. Metal tolerance in plants: perfecting an evolutionary paradigm. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Heavy Metals in the Environment, vol. 2, Toronto, Canada, 169–186.
- 1971. Heavy metal tolerance in plants. In: CraggJB, ed. Advances in Ecological Research. New York : Academic Press, 7: 1–85. , , .
- 1993. Mineral status of dicotyledonous crop plants in relation to their constitutional tolerance to lead. Environmental and Experimental Botany 33: 575–589. .
- 1983. Comparative uptake and translocation of trace elements from coal ash by Typha latifolia. The Science of the Total Environment 28: 203–214. , , .
- 1981. Accumulators and excluders-strategies in the response of plants to heavy metals. Journal of Plant Nutrition 3: 643–654. .
- 1989. Physiological responses of plants to heavy metals and the quantification of tolerance and toxicity. Chemical Speciation and Bioavailability 1: 7–17. , .
- 1990. Ecophysiology of metal uptake by tolerant plants. In: ShawAJ, ed. Heavy Metal Tolerance in Plants: Evolutionary Aspects, Boca Raton , FL , USA : CRC Press, 155–177. , .
- 1986. Plant factors in influencing the use of plant analysis as a tool for biogeochemical prospecting. In: CarlisleD, BerryWL, KaplanIR, WattersonJR, eds. Mineral Exploration: Biological Systems and Organic Matter, Rubey Volume 5, Englewood Cliffs , NJ , USA : Prentice-Hall, 13–32. .
- 1970. Production, mineral accumulation and pigment concentrations in Typha latifolia and Scirpus americanus. Ecology 51: 285–290. .
- 1991. Procedure for plant sample preparation for analysis by dry ashing. Analytical methods protocol, unpublished internal report, USDA, ARS Beltsville. .
- 1990. Mechanisms of metal tolerance in plants: physiological adaptations for exclusion of metal ions from the cytoplasm. In: AlscherRG, CummingJR, eds. Stress Responses in Plants: Adaptation and Acclimation Mechanisms, New York : Wiley-Liss, 329–356. , .
- 1992. Potential use of constructed wetlands for treatment of industrial wastewaters containing metals. The Science of the Total Environment 111: 151–168. , .
- 1994. Use of macrophytes for pollution treatment in urban wetlands. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 11: 1–12. , , , .
- 1988. Use of a biological meander treatment system for lead mine/mill wastes in Southeast Missouri. In: Proceedings of the Forty-third Annual Purdue Industrial Waste Conference (West Lafayette, IN, USA 1988), 617–629. , , , ,
- 1990. Metal levels in soils and attail (Typha latifolia L.) plants in a pyrites mine area at Lousal, Portugal. International Journal of Environmental Studies 36: 205–210. , .
- 1978. The physiology of metal toxicity in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 29: 511–566. , , .
- 1966. Sand and water culture methods used in the study of plant nutrition, 2nd edn. Technical Communication No. 22, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Farnham Royal, Bucks. .
- 1981. Role of copper binding, absorption, and translocation in copper tolerance of Agrostis gigantea Roth. Journal of Experimental Botany 32: 27–36. , .
- 1993. The genetics of metal tolerance in vascular plants. Tansley Review No. 49, New Phytologist 124: 541–559. .
- 1985. A simplified method for the extraction of the metals Fe, Zn, Cu, Ni, Cd, Pb, Cr, Co, and Mn from soils and sewage sludges. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 36: 794–798. , .
- 1974. Heavy metal tolerance in Typha latifolia without the evolution of tolerant races. Ecology 55: 1163–1165. , , , , , , ,
- 1989. Urban runoff treatment in a fresh/brackish water marsh in Fremont, California. In: HammerDA, ed. Constructed Wetlands for Wastewater Treatment: Municipal, Industrial and Agricultural. (Chattanooga TN, 1988). Chelsea , MI , USA : Lewis, 677–685. .
- 1989. Waste water treatment for heavy metal removal. In: Proceedings of the 1989 Australian Mining Industry Council Environmental Workshop (Ballarat, Australia 1989), Dickson , ACT , Australia : Australian Mining Industry Council, 266–276.
- 1982. Methods of soil analysis- chemical and microbiological properties, 2nd edn. Madison , WI , USA : ASA Inc. & SCSA Inc. , , .
- 1985. Uptake and accumulation of zinc, lead and copper in zinc and lead tolerant Anthoxanthum odoratum L. New Phytologist 100: 429–434. , , , .
- 1968. A survey of the chemical composition of aquatic plants in New Jersey. New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, College of Agriculture and Environmental Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, Bulletin 820. , .
- 1983a. Uptake and accumulation of heavy metals by Typha latifolia in wetlands of the Sudbury, Ontario region. Canadian Journal of Botany 61: 63–73. , .
- 1983b. Uptake and accumulation of copper, nickel, and iron by Typha latifolia grown in solution culture. Canadian Journal of Botany 61: 1825–1830. , .
- 1984. Copper and nickel tolerance in Typha latifolia clones from contaminated and uncontaminated environments. Canadian Journal of Botany 62: 1304–1308. , .
- 1988. Construction of a wetland demonstration site for a metal-mine drainage. In: Mine Drainage and Surface Mine Reclamation, US Bureau of Mines Information Circular 9183, Pittsburgh , PA. : US Bureau of Mines, 1: 401. , , .
- 1978. The measurement of tolerance to edaphic factors by means of root growth. New Phytologist 80: 623–633. .
- 1982. A comparison of the toxicity of heavy metals, using root elongation of ryegrass, Lolium perenne. New Phytologist 91: 255–261. , .
- 1975. The uptake of copper and its effect upon copper-tolerant and non-tolerant clones of Agrostis stolonifera. New Phytologist 75: 225–229. , , .
- 1995. Heavy metal tolerance, uptake and accumulation in populations of Typha latifolia L. and Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. ex Steudel. Ph.D. thesis, University of Sheffield, UK . .
- 1992a. Effect of treating Pb/Zn mine wastewater with T. latifolia purification pond system. Chinese Journal of Applied Ecology 3: 190–194 [in Chinese]. , , , .
- 1992b. The accumulation and distribution of heavy metals in Typha latifolia from Pb/Zn mine waste water. Acta Phytoecologica et Geobotanica Sinica 16: 72–79 [in Chinese]. , , , .