Physiological changes on agricultural crops induced by different ambient ozone exposure regimes
I. Effects on photosynthesis and assimilate allocation in spring wheat
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 4, pages 645–652, August 1997
How to Cite
MEYER, U., KÖLLNER, B., WILLENBRINK, J. and KRAUSE, G. H. M. (1997), Physiological changes on agricultural crops induced by different ambient ozone exposure regimes. New Phytologist, 136: 645–652. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00777.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 5 December 1996; accepted 5 May 1997)
- 1995 Production and utilization of assimilates in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) leaves exposed to elevated O3 and/or CO2. New Phytologist 129: 557–568. , , , .
- 1994. SPSS für Windows, Version 6. Addison-Wesley. , .
- 1987 The impact of ozone on assimilate partitioning in plants: a review. Environmental Pollution 47: 95–113. , .
- 1994 Growth and yield responses of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L. cv. Turbo) grown in open-top chambers to ozone and water stress. Environmental Pollution 83: 317–325. , , , .
- 1996 A time-concentration study on the effects of ozone on spring wheat (Triticum aestivuum L.) 1. Effect on yield. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 57: 159–167. , , .
- 1995. Critical level for ozone to protect agricultural crops: interaction with water availability. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 85: 1355–1360. .
- 1992 The response of spring wheat to ozone at higher elevations. New Phytologist 121: 201–210. , .
- 1996. Critical levels for ozone, ozone exposure potentials of the atmosphere or critical absorbed doses for ozone: A general discussion. In: KäenlampiL, SkäbyL, eds. Critical Levels for Ozone in Europe: Testing and Finalizing the Concepts. UNT-ECE workshop report. University of Kuopio, Finland. Dept. of Ecology and Environmental Science. , .
- 1995. Wenn Pflanzen zuviel Sonne kriegen. GSF: Mensch und Unwelt 3/Juni 1995. .
- 1987. The biochemistry of ozone attack on the plasma membrane of plant cells. Recent Advances in Phytochemistry 21: 29–54. .
- 1979 A method for the extraction of chlorophyll from leaf tissue without maceration. Canadian Journal of Botany 57: 1332–1334. , .
- 1996 Sucrose accumulation in sweet sorghum stem internodes in relation to growth. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 277–284. , , , .
- 1994 Sugar sensing in higher plants. Plant Cell 6: 1665–1679. , .
- 1994 Plant defence systems induced by ozone. Plant, Cell and Environment 17: 783–794. , , , .
- 1995. Effects of different ozone exposure regimes on yield, carbon metabolism and photosynthesis of spring wheat. International Workshop:. Excedances of Critical Loads and Levels Vienna, November 22–24. , , , .
- 1994 Ambient ozone and crop loss: establishing a cause–effect relationship. Environmental Pollution 83: 269–276. , , .
- 1989 Ozone concentration in leaf intercellular air spaces is close to zero. Plant Physiology 90: 1163–1167. , , .
- 1995 Ambient ozone and adverse crop response: an evaluation of North American and European data as they relate to exposure indices and critical levels. Angenwandte Botanik 69: 192–205. , , , , .
- 1988. A comparison of indices that describe the relationship between exposure to ozone and reduction in the yield of agricultural crops. Atmospheric Environment 22: 1229–1240. , , .
- 1987 The effect of ozone in ambient air on RubisCo activity decreases photosynthesis and grain yield in wheat. Journal of Plant Physiology 130: 189–200. , , , .
- 1987. Application of chlorophyll fluorescence. Dordrecht : Kluwer. Academic Publishers. .
- 1995 Ozone detoxification in the apoplasm and symplasm of spinach, broad bean and beech leaves at ambient and elevated concentrations of ozone in air. Planta 197: 448–455. , .
- 1993. Role of ascorbate in detoxifying ozone in the apoplast of spinach (Spinacia oleraceae L.) leaves. Plant Physiology 101: 969–976. , , .
- 1995 Effects of ozone on 14C translocation velocity and growth of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) exposed in open-top chambers. Environmental Pollution 87: 135–140. , .
- 1994 Response of Phaseolus vulgarrs L. to differing ozone regimes having identical total exposure. Atmospheric Environment 28: 2727–2731. , , .
- 1993 Effects of ozone on the photosynthetic apparatus and leaf proteins during leaf development in wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 643–651. , , .
- 1995 A process-oriented explanation of the nonlinear relationship between grain yield of wheat and ozone exposure. New Phytologist 131: 241–246. , , , .
- 1996 Mehler reaction: Friend or foe in photosynthesis:. Botanica Acta 109: 84–90.
- 1994. Photooxidative stress in trees. In: FoyerCH, MullmeauxPM. (eds.). Causes of Photo-oxidative Stress and Amelioration of Defense Systems in Plants. Boca Raton , FL , USA : CRC Press, 199–218. , .
- 1996. Source-sink relations: the role of sucrose. In: BakerNR (eds.). Environmental Stress and Photosynthesis. The Netherlands : Kluwer Academic Publishers (in press). , .
- 1995 Amelioration of ozone-induced oxidative damage in wheat plants grown under high carbon dioxide: role of antioxidant enzymes. Plant Physiology 109: 421–432. , , .
- 1994 Effects of exposure of ozone at different stages in the development of Plantago major L. on chlorophyll fluorescence and gas exchange. New Phytologist 128: 509–514. , .
- 1995 Exposure of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum) to ozone in open-top chambers. Effects on acyl lipid composition and chlorophyll content of flag leaves. New Phytologist 131: 231–239. , , , , .
- 1995 Establishing critical levels for the effects of air pollution on vegetation. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 85: 189–200. , , , .
- 1987. Rapid assessment of stress effects on plant leaves by chlorophyll fluorescence measurements. In: TenhunenJD, CatarinoFM, LangeOL, OechelWD, eds. Plant Response to Stress. Berlin : Springer-Verlag, 27–53. , .
- 1995 Photochemical oxidant effects on vegetation - response in relation to plant strategy. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 85: 111–122. , .
- 1995 Ozone effects on dry matter partitioning and chlorophyll fluorescence during plant development of wheat. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 85: 1461–1466. , .
- 1996 Ozone and UV B effects on the defense-related proteins beta-1,3-glucanase and chitinase in tobacco. Journal of Plant Physiology 148: 222–228. , , , , , .
- 1994 Growth stage-dependent effects of ozone on the permeability for ions and non-electrolytes of wheat leaves in relation to the susceptibility to Septoria nodorum Berk. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 45: 153–167. , .
- 1995. Ozone sensitivity of Phaseohts vulgaris in relation to cuitivar differences, growth stage and growing conditions. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 85: 1455–1460. , .
- 1993 CO2-Fixierung und Assímílatverteílung in Fíchten unter Langzeítbelastung mir Ozon. Forstwissenschaftliches Centralblatt 112: 50–56. , .