† Present address: USDA-ARS, Horticultural Crops Research Laboratory, Corvallis, OR 97330, USA.
Seasonal changes in root and soil respiration of ozone-exposed ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) grown in different substrates
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 4, pages 627–643, August 1997
How to Cite
SCAGEL, C. F. and ANDERSEN, C. P. (1997), Seasonal changes in root and soil respiration of ozone-exposed ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) grown in different substrates. New Phytologist, 136: 627–643. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00779.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 15 October 1996; accepted 8 April 1997)
- 1990 Whole-plant 14C-photosynthate allocation in Pinus taeda: seasonal patterns at ambient and elevated ozone levels. Canadian Journal of Forest Reasearch 20: 152–158. , , , .
- 1991 Stress-response interactions and mycorrhizal plant growth: understanding carbon allocation priorities. Environment al Pollution 73: 217–244. , .
- 1995 Allocation of carbon in mycorrhizal Pinus ponderosa seedlings exposed to ozone. New Phytologist 131: 47–480. , .
- 1997 Nutrient availability alters below-ground respiratory responses of Ponderosa Pine to Ozone. Tree Physiology 17: 377–387. , .
- 1977 Respiration of field-grown loblolly pine roots as influenced by temperature and root type. Canadian Journal of Botany 55: 740–743. , .
- 1937. Some examples of statistical methods of research in agriculture and applied biology. Supplement Journal Royal Statistical Society 4. 137–183. .
- 1983 Investigation of ozone (O3) effects on 14C distribution in ladino clover. Environmental and Experimental Botany 23: 369–378. , , .
- 1992 Soil moisture measurement using portable dielectric probes and time domain rerlectometry. Water Resources Research 28: 1139–1346. , , , , and .
- 1995 Accentuation of gas exchange gradients in flushes of ponderosa pine exposed to ozone. Tree Physiology 15: 181–189. , , , .
- 1995 Carbon allocation and partitioning in aspen clones varying in sensitivity to tropospheric ozone. Tree Physiology 15: 593–604. , , , .
- 1987. The impact of ozone on assimilate partitioning in plants: a review. Environmental Pollution 47: 95–101 13. , .
- 1991. In situ needle and fine-root respiration in mature Slash Pine (pinus elliottii) trees. Canadian Journal of Forest esearch 21 1589–1595. , .
- 1989. Carbon and nitrogen allocation in trees. Annales des Sciences Forestieres 46 (suppl.): 631–647. .
- 1991 Root and soil respiration responses to ozone in Pinus taeda L. seedlings. New Phytologist 118: 315–321. .
- 1991 Whole-plant responses of Brassica campestris (Cruciferae) to altered source-sink relations. American Journal of Botany 78: 394–400. .
- 1987 Soil CO2, evolution in Florida slash pine plantations. II. Importance of root respiration. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 17: 330–333. , , .
- 1981 Respiration rate of barley roots: its relation to growth, substrate supply and the illumination of the shoot. Annals of Botany 48: 53–63. .
- 1990 Root turnover and production in forest trees. HortScience 25: 270–273. .
- 1984 Crop productivity and photoassimilate partitioning. Science 225: 801–808. , , , .
- 1991b Effects of ozone and ammonium sulphate on carbon partitioning to mycorrhizal roots of juvenile Douglas fir. New Phytologist 119: 243–250. , , .
- 1991a Concentration-dependent effects of ozone on translocation of assimilates in Douglas-fir. Journal of Environmental quality 20: 169–173. , , .
- 1994 Analysis of aspen foliage exposed to multiple stresses: ozone, nitrogen deficiency and drought. New Phytologist 127: 579–589. , , .
- 1980 Diurnal variation of root respiration rates and nitrate uptake as influenced by nitrogen supply. Physiologia Plantarum 48: 421–427. .
- 1993 Seasonal and topographic patterns of forest floor CO2 efflux from an upland oak forest. Tree Physiology 13: 1–15. , , , .
- 1993 Dynamics of fine-root length, biomass and nitrogen content in two northern hardwood forest ecosystems. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 2507–2520. , .
- 1981 The rapid inhibition of root respiration after exposure of bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) plants to ozone. Atmospheric Environment 15: 483–487. , , , .
- 1985a Growth response of two varieties of slash pine seedlings to chronic ozone exposures. Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 2369–2376. , , , , .
- 1985b A programmable exposure control system for determination of the effects of pollutant exposure regimes on plant growth. Atmospheric Environment 19: 1135–1145. , , .
- 1985 Effects of NO2 and O3 alone or in combination on kidney bean plants (Phaseolus vulgaris L.): growth, partitioning of assimilates and root activities. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 652–662. , , , .
- 1996 Changes in growth, leaf abscission and biomass associated with seasonal tropospheric ozone exposures of Populus tremuloides clones and seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 26: 23–37. , , , , , .
- 1981 Above- and below-ground net production in 40-year-old Douglas-fir stands on low and high productivity sites. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 11: 599–605. , .
- 1976 Maintenance and constructive respiration, photosynthesis, and net assimilation rate in seedlings of pitch pine (Pinus rigida Mill.). Annals of Botany (London) 40: 289–300. , , .
- 1986 A method for developing ozone exposures that mimic ambient conditions in agricultural areas. Atmospheric Environment 20: 361–366. , , .
- 1987 The development of sulfur dioxide and ozone exposure profiles that mimic ambient conditions in the rural southeastern United States. Atmospheric Environment 21: 659–669. , , .
- 1988 Evaluation of ozone-exposure indices in exposure-response modeling. Environmental Pollution 53: 43–62. , , .
- 1991. A comparison of agar film techniques for estimating fungal biovolumes in litter and soil. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 34, 131–144. , .
- 1995 Estimates of fungal biomass in Scots Pine stands on an urban pollution gradient. New Phytologist 131: 139–147. , , , .
- 1987 Basal and maintenance respiration of mycorrhizal and nonmycorrhizal root systems of conifers. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 17: 872–877. , .
- 1983 Influence of ozone on carbon partitioning in tomato: potential role of carbon flow in regulation of mycorrhizal symbiosis under conditions of stress. New Phytologist 94: 241–247. , .
- 1984 Interaction of ozone and mycorrhizal fungi on tomato as influenced by fungal species and host variety. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 16: 425–427. , .
- 1985 Effects of air pollution on forests: a critical review. Journal Air Pollution Control Association 35: 516–534. .
- 1983 Effects of SO2 and O3 on allocation of 14C-labelled photosynthate in Phaseohis vulgaris. Plant Physiology 73: 630–635. , .
- 1987 Effects of ozone and sulfur dioxide stress on growth and carbon allocation in plants. Recent Advances in Phytochemistry 21: 55–100. .
- 1990 Effects of acetylene and external O2 concentration of the respiratory quotient (RQ) of nodulated roots of soybean and white clover. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1271–1277. , .
- 1991 Effects of chronic ozone exposure on growth, root respiration and nutrient uptake of rice plants. Environmental Pollution 74:149–164. , , , .
- 1995 Acceleration of 13C-labelled photosynthate partitioning from leaves to panicles in rice plants exposed to chronic ozone at the reproductive stage. Environmental Pollution 88: 253–260. , , , .
- 1995 Influence of nitrogen supply on the response of clones of birch (Betula pendula Roth.) to ozone. New Phytologist 129: 595–603. , .
- 1989 Influence of soil O2 and CO2 on root respiration for Agave deserti. Physiologia Plantarum 76: 187–192. , .
- 1988 Assimilate partitioning in relation to crop productivity. Hort Science 23: 33–40. .
- 1987 Carbon gain by plants in natural environments. BioScience 37: 21–29. , , , , , .
- 1990 Response of radish to multiple stresses. I. Physiological and growth responses to changes in ozone and nitrogen. New Phytologist 115: 439–446. , , , .
- 1979 Fine-root production, mortality and decomposition in forest ecosystems. Vegetatio 41: 101–109. .
- 1986 Acid rain and ozone influence mycorrhizal infection in tree seedlings. Journal Air Pollution Control Association 36:724–726. , , , .
- 1973. Carbon flow and storage in a forest ecosystem. In: WoodwellGM, PecanEV, eds. Carbon and the biosphere. U.S. Atomic Energy Commission. , , , , .
- 1994 Mycorrhizae alter quality and quantity of carbon allocated below ground. Nature 369: 58–60. , .
- 1990 Evidence from chronsequence studies for a low carbon-storage potential of soils. Nature 348: 232–234. .
- 1988 Effects of ozone and acid ram on White Pine (Pinus strobus) seedlings grown in five soil. II. Mycorrhizal infection. Canadian Journal of Botany 66: 1510–1516. , , , .
- 1980. Growth and maintenance respiration of shoot and roots in Scots pine seedlings. Zeitschnft fuel Pflanzenphysiologie Bd. 101: 391–398. .
- 1974 Root respiration of Tsuga canadensis seedlings as influenced by intensity of net photosynthesis and dark respiration of shoots. American Midland Naturalist 91: 464–468. , .
- 1974. Ozone-induced alterations in the metabolite pools and enzyme activities of plants. In. Air Pollution Effects On Plant Growth. ACS Symp. 3. Washington : American Chemical Society. .
- 1990 The control of carbon partitioning in plants. New Phytologist 116: 341–381. .