Growth, phosphorus uptake, and water relations of safflower and wheat infected with an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 4, pages 581–590, August 1997
How to Cite
BRYLA, D. R. and DUNIWAY, J. M. (1997), Growth, phosphorus uptake, and water relations of safflower and wheat infected with an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. New Phytologist, 136: 581–590. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00780.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 11 September 1996; accepted 21 April 1997)
- 1985 Osmoregulation in cotton in response to water stress. III. Effects of phosphorus fertility. Plant Physiology 77: 309–312. .
- 1989 Do YA mycorrhizae enhance transpiration by influencing host phosphorus content. Journal of Plant Nutrition 12: 743–753. .
- 1991 Mycorrhizal fungi and nonhydraulic root signals of soil drying. Plant Physiology 97: 821–824. , .
- 1994 Nonhydraulic signaling of soil drying in mycorrhizal maize. Planta 193: 74–82. , , , .
- 1986a Osmotic adjustment in leaves of VA mycorrhizal and nonmycorrhizal rose plants in response to drought stress. Plant Physiology 82: 765–770. , , .
- 1986 Greater leaf conductance of well-watered VA mycorrhizal rose plants is not related to phosphorus nutrition. New Phytologist 103: 107–116. , , .
- 1990 An apparent increase in symplastic water contributes to greater turgor in mycorrhizal roots of draughted Rosa plants. New Phytologist 115: 285–295. , .
- 1988 Effects of drought on host and endophyte development in mycorrhizal soybeans in relation to water use and phosphate uptake. Physiologia Plantarum 72: 565–571. , , , .
- 1990 Glycine-Glomus–Bradyrhizobium symbiosis. X. Relationships between leaf gas exchange and plant and soil water status in nodulated, mycorrhizal soybean under drought stress. Plain Physiology 94: 723–728. , , .
- 1986 Growth, nutrition and gas exchange of Bromus inermis inoculated with Glamus fasciculatum. New Phytologist 102: 303–311. , , , .
- 1995 Water relations of and water uptake by safflower (Carthamus tinctorius). and wheat (Triticum aestivum) infected with a vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Davis, USA . .
- 1985 Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal (Glomus fasciculatum) influence on soybean drought tolerance in high phosphorus soil. Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 2290–2294. , .
- 1992 Nutrient status, water uptake and gas exchange for three desert succulents infected with mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 122: 643–649. , .
- 1992 Mycorrhiza and repeated drought exposure affect drought resistance and extraradical hyphae development of pepper plants independent of plant size and nutrient content. Journal of Plant Physiology 139: 289–294. , , .
- 1993 Drought resistance of mycorrhizal pepper plants independent of leaf P concentration – response in gas exchange and water relations. Physiologia Plantarun 87: 45–53. , , .
- 1992 Stomatal response to short-term osmotic stress of cowpea plants given varying phosphorus fertilization. Journal of Plant Nutrition 15: 265–274. , .
- 1985 Drought resistance of wheat plants inoculated with vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizae. Plant and Soil 86: 369–378. , , .
- 1991 A method for measuring hyphal nutrient and water uptake in mycorrhizal plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 87–94. , , , .
- 1988 Water relations of red clover Trifolium pratense L. as affected by VA mycorrhizal infection and phosphorus supply before and during drought. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 595–603. .
- 1992, Water and nutrient translocation by hyphae of Glomus mosseae. Canadian Journal of Botany 70: 2130–2137. , , , , .
- 1984 Influence of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza on the hydraulic conductivity of roots of two citrus rootstocks. New Phytologist 97: 277–284. , .
- 1987 Water relations of mycorrhizal and phosphorus-fertilized non-mycorrhizal Citrus under drought stress. New Phytologist 105: 411–419. , , .
- 1981 The influence of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza on growth and water relations of red clover. I. In phosphate deficient soil. New Phytologist 89: 599–608. , .
- 1989 Automated quantification of roots using a simple image analyzer. Agronomy Journal 81: 935–938. , .
- 1995 Negative xylem pressures in plants: a test of the balancing pressure technique. Science 270: 1193–1194. , , .
- 1990 Measurements of plant water status. In: StewardBA, NielsenDR, eds. Irrigation of Agricultural Crops, Agronomy No. 30. Madison : American Society of Agronomy, 243–279. .
- 1993 Variation in the response of nodulating pigeonpea (Cajanus cajart) to different isolates of mycorrhizal fungi. Symbiosis 15: 105–119. , .
- 1962. Botanical histochemistry. San Francisco : Freeman, 209–235. .
- 1985 The effect of VA mycorrhizal infection and phosphorus status on sunflower hydraulic and stomatal properties. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 1087–1098. .
- 1993 Physiology of the mycorrhizal plant. In: TommerupIC, ed. Advances in Plant Pathology, Vol 9, Mycorrhiza Synthesis. New York : Academic Press, 33–54. .
- 1989 Appropriate controls for vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal research. New Phytologist 111: 35–44. , .
- 1990 Effect of VA mycorrhizal fungi and rhizosphere micro-organisms on root and shoot morphology, growth, and water relations of maize. New Phytologist 116: 303–311. , , .
- 1985 Soil moisture on root growth and phosphorus uptake by corn. Agronomy Journal 77: 519–523. , .
- 1994 Nutrient uptake in mycorrhizal symbiosis. Plant and Soil 159: 89–102. , .
- 1990 Hierarchy of root and mycorrhizal fungi interactions with soil aggregation. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 22: 579–584. , .
- 1991 A simple model for nondestructive estimates of leaf area in wheat. Cereal Research Communications 19: 439–444. , .
- 1982a Increased drought tolerance of mycorrhizal onion plants caused by improved phosphorus nutrition. Planta 154: 407–413. , .
- 1982b The water relations of well-watered, mycorrhizal, and non-mycorrhizal onion plants. Journal of the American Society for Horticulture Science 107: 271–274. , .
- 1991. Physicochemical and environmental plant physiology. New York : Academic Press. .
- 1984 Stomatal responses to water stress and to abscisic acid in phosphorus-deficient cotton plants. Plant Physiology 76: 392–394. .
- 1992 The mycorrhizal mycelium. In: AllenMF, ed. Mycorrhizal Functioning. An Integrative Plant–Fungal Process. New York : Chapman and Hall, 102–133. .
- 1966 The effects of micro-organisms upon plant growth. II. Detoxification of heat-sterilized soils by fungi and bacteria. Plant and Soil 25: 129–141. , .
- 1971 Mycorrhizal enhancement of water transport in soybean. Science 172: 581–583. , , .
- 1985 VA mycorrhizas: plant and fungal water relations. In: MolinaR, ed. Proceedings of the Sixth North American Conference on Mycorrhizae. Corvallis , OR , USA : Forest Research Laboratory, 161–164. , .
- 1985. Plant physiology, 3rd edn. Belmont : Wadsworth Publishing Company. , .
- 1986 Influence of soil water supply on the plant water balance of four tropical grain legumes. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 329–341. , .
- 1992 Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae and environmental stresses. In: BethlenfalvayGJ, LindermanRG, eds. Mycorrhisae in Sustainable Agriculture, ASA Special Publication No. 54. Madison, 101–124. , .
- 1994a Improved nitrogen uptake and transport from N-15-labelled nitrate by external hyphae of arbuscular mycorrhiza under water-stressed conditions. New Phytologist 126: 119–122. , , .
- 1946 The improvement of plant N acquisition from an ammonium-treated drought-stressed soil by the fungal symbiont in arbuscular mycorrhizae. Mycorrhiza 4: 105–108. , , .
- 1987 Water relations and osmotic adjustment of leaves and roots of lupins in response to water deficits. Crop Science 27: 977–983. , , .
- 1965 Test of an ascorbic acid method for determining phosphorus in water and NaHCO3 extracts from soil. Proceedings of the Soil Science Society 29: 677–678. , .