A comparative study of leaf nutrient concentrations in a regional herbaceous flora
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 136, Issue 4, pages 679–689, August 1997
How to Cite
THOMPSON, K., PARKINSON, J. A., BAND, S. R. and SPENCER, R. E. (1997), A comparative study of leaf nutrient concentrations in a regional herbaceous flora. New Phytologist, 136: 679–689. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00787.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 5 December 1996; accepted 30 April 1997)
- 1982 On the comparative allocation of biomass, energy and nutrients in plants. Ecology 63: 982–991. , .
- 1995 The advantages of being evergreen. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 402–407. .
- 1974. The chemical analysis of ecological materials. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications. , , , .
- 1979 Factors affecting nutrient concentrations in a Scirpus – Equisetum wetland. Ecology 60: 337–348. .
- 1991. The chemical composition of some aquatic macrophyte species and implications for the metabolism of a tropical lacustrine ecosystem: Lobo Reservoir, Sao Paulo, Brazil. Hydrobiologia 213: 133–140. , .
- 1996 An experimental comparison of leaf decomposition rates in a wide range of temperate plant species and types. Journal of Ecology 84: 573–582. .
- 1997 Functional leaf attributes predict litter decomposition rate in herbaceous plants. New Phytologist 135: 109–114. , .
- 1992 Nutrient concentration of aquatic plants: patterns across species. Limnology and Oceanography 37: 882–889. .
- 1991 Effect of protection on the nutrient concentration and uptake of some Mediterranean desert annuals. Vegetatio 96: 113–126. , , .
- 1992. Zeigwerte von Pflanzen in Mitteleuropa. Scripta Geobotanica 18. Göttingen : Erich Goltze. , , , , , .
- 1993 Nutrient concentrations of foliage and soil in South-western Australia. New Philologist 125: 529–546. .
- 1976 Correlations between concentrations of elements in plants. Nature 261: 686–688. .
- 1996 Evidence of a causal connection between anti-herbivore defence and the decomposition rate of leaves. Oikos 77: 489–494. , , , .
- 1988. Comparative plant ecology: A functional approach to common British plants. London : Unwin Hyman. , , .
- 1975 Relative growth rate: its range and adaptive significance in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 63: 393–422. , .
- 1997 Integrated screening validates primary axes of specialisation in plants. Oikos 79: 259–281. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987 Aspects of the mineral nutrition of some native British plants – inter-site variation. Vegetatio 70: 157–169. , .
- 1993. Methods in comparative plant ecology. London : Chapman and Hall. , .
- 1992 Nutrient content and the structure of a plant community on a tropical beach-dune system in Brazil. Acta Oecologica 13: 101–117. , .
- 1986a Commonness and rarity in plants with special reference to the Sheffield flora. I. The identity, distribution and habitat characteristics of the common and rare species. Biological Conservation 36: 199–252. .
- 1986b Commonness and rarity in plants with special reference to the Sheffield flora. II. The relative importance of climate, soils and land use. Biological Conservation 36: 253–274. .
- 1995. The electronic comparative plant ecology. London : Chapman and Hall. , , , .
- 1992 Inherent variation in growth rate between higher plants: a search for physiological causes and ecological consequences. Advances in Ecological Research 23: 188–242. , .
- 1996 Scaling maximum growth rates across photosynthetic organisms. Functional Ecology 10: 167–175. , , , .
- 1995. A sample survey of the flora of Britain and Ireland. Peterborough : Joint Nature Conservation Committee. , .
- 1975 A wet oxidation procedure suitable for the determination of N and mineral nutrients in biological material. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 6: 1–11. , .
- 1989. Interspecific variation in relative growth rate. In: LambersH, CambridgeML, KoningsH, PonsTL, eds.. Causes and Consequences of Variation in Growth Hate and Productivity in Higher Plants. The Hague : SPB Academic Publishing, 49–68. .
- 1992 Leaf life-span in relation to leaf, plant, and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 1996 Changes in the vascular plant floras of England and Scotland between 1930–1960 and 1987–1988: the BSBI Monitoring Scheme. Biological Conservation 75: 217–229. , .
- 1996 Leaf and root turnover of three ecologically contrasting grass species in relation to their performance along a productivity gradient. Oikos 75: 398–406. , .
- 1991 Relationship of nutrients in water with biomass and nutrient accumulation of submerged macrophytes of a tropical wetland. New Phytologist 117: 493–500. .
- 1993 Iron toxicity to fen plant species. Journal of Ecology 81: 3516. , .
- 1983. Mediterranean-type heathlands and sclerophyllous shrublands of the world: an overview. In: KrugerFJ, MitchellDT, JarvisJUM, eds. Mediterranean-type ecosystems. Berlin : Springer Verlag, 41–65. , .
- 1991. New flora of the British Isles Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. .
- 1994. Predicting the fate of temperate species in response to human disturbance and global change. In: BoyleTJB, BoyleCEB, eds. Biodiversity, Temperate Ecosystems and Global Change. Berlin : Springer Verlag, 61–76. .
- 1995 Native and alien invasive plants: more of the same. Ecography 18: 390–402. , , .
- 1996 A functional analysis of a limestone grassland community. Journal of Vegetation Science 7: 371–380. , , , , .
- 1975 Nutrient concentrations in plants in the Brookhaven oak-pine forest. Ecology 56: 318–332. , , .