Reciprocal transfer of carbon isotopes between ectomycorrhizal Betula papyrifera and Pseudotsuga menziesii
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 3, pages 529–542, November 1997
How to Cite
SIMARD, S. W., JONES, M. D., DURALL, D. M., PERRY, D. A., MYROLD, D. D. and MOLINA, R. (1997), Reciprocal transfer of carbon isotopes between ectomycorrhizal Betula papyrifera and Pseudotsuga menziesii. New Phytologist, 137: 529–542. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00834.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received 31 October 1996; accepted 16 July 1997
- 1991. Transpont of carbon among connected ramets of Eichhorma crassipes (Puntederiaceae) at normal and high levels of CO2. American Journal of Botany 78: 1459–1466. , ,
- 1993. Nitrogen translocation between Alnus glutinosa (L.) Gaertn. seedlings inoculated with Frankia sp. and Pinus contorta Doug, ex Loud seedlings connected by a common ectomycorrbizal mycelium. New Phytologist 124: 231–242. , , ,
- 1991. Nutrient transfer between the root zones of soybean and maize plants connected by a common mycorrhizal mycelium. Physiologia Plantarum 82: 423–432. , , ,
- 1991. Stable carbon isotope ratios of natural materials. I. sample preparation and mass spectrometric analysis. In: ColemanDC, FryB, eds. Carbon Isotope Techniques. San Diego , CA , USA : Academic Press, 155–170.
- 1981. Effects of nitrogen fertilizer source and application rates on foliar nitrogen concentration, photosynthesis, and growth of Douglas tir. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 11: 775–780.
- 1983. The structure and function of ectomycorrhizal roots with special reference to their role in forming inter-plant connections and providing pathways for assimilate and water transport. Plant and Soil 71: 433–443. , , ,
- Canadian Soil Survey Committee. 1978. The Canadian System of Soil Classification, Publication 1646. Ottawa : Canadian Department of Agriculture.
- 1990. Growth and survival of shoots, roots, and mycorrhizal mycelium in clonal Sitka spruce during the first growing season after planting. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 861–868. ,
- 1954. Carbon 13 in plants and the relationships between carbon 13 and carbon 14 variations in nature. Journal of Geology 62: 115–149.
- 1990. Carbon-sink stimulation of photosynthesis in Douglas-fir seedlings by some ectomycorrhizas. New Phytologist 115: 269–274. , ,
- 1980. Structure and function of mycorrhizal rhizomorphs with special reference to their role in water transport. Nature 287: 834–836. , ,
- 1988. The structure and function of the vegetative mycelium of ectomycorrhizal plants. III. Uftrastructural and autoradiographic analysis of inter-plant carbon distribution through intact mycelial systems. New Phytologist 108: 183–188. , , ,
- 1990. A comparison of phosphorus and nitrogen transfer between plams of different phosphorus status. Oecologia 82: 342–347.
- 1995. Nitrogen fixation by Alnus incana and nitrogen transfer from A. incana to Pinus sylvestris influenced by macronutrients and ectomycorrhizae. New Phytologist 131: 453–459. ,
- 1986. The structure and function of the vegetative mycelium of ectomycorrhizal plants. I. Translocation of 14C-labelled carbon between plants interconnected by a common mycelium. New Phytologist 103: 143–156. ,
- 1992. Mycorrhiza and carbon flow to the soil. In: AllenMF. ed. Mycorrhizal Functioning: an Integrative Plant-Fungal Process. New-York : Chapman and Hall, 134–162. ,
- 1984. Direct transfer of carbon between plants connected by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelium. Nature 307: 53–56. ,
- 1992. Transfer of symbiotically fixed nitrogen from berseem (Trifolium alexandrinum L.) to maize via vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal hyphae. New Phytologist 125: 447–454. ,
- 1992. Mycorrhizae-mediated 15N transfer from soybean to corn in field-grown intercrops: effect of component crop spatial relationships. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 24: 494–501. ,
- 1985. Carbon economy of soybean-Rhizobium-Glomus associations. New Phytologist 101: 427–440. , ,
- 1979. Enhanced carbon transfer between onions infected with a vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. New Phytologist 83: 731–738. ,
- 1991. Carbon metabolism m mycorrhiza. In: NorrisJR, ReadDJ. VarmaAK, eds. Methods in Microbiology, vol. 23. London : Academic Press, 149–180.
- 1990. Carbon flow into soil and external hyphae from roots of mycorrhizal cucumber plants. New Phytologist 115: 77–83. ,
- 1971. Studies on the decomposition of 14c labeled organic matter in soil. Soil Science 111: 64–70.
- 1991. Methods manual for forest soil and plant analysis. Information Report NOR-X-319. Victoria: Canadian Forest Service. ,
- 1992. Mycorrhizae, nutrient translocation, and interactions between plants. In: AllenMF, ed. Mycorrhizal Functioning: an Integrative Plant-Fungal Process. New York : Chapman and Hall. 301–332. ,
- 1989. Temporal allocation of 14C to extrametrical hyphae of ectomycorrhizal ponderosa pine seedlings. Tree Physiology 5: 239–249. , ,
- 1992. Specificity phenomena in mycorrhizal symbiosis: community-ecological consequences and practical implications. In: AllenMF, ed. Mycorrhizal Functioning: an Integrative Plant-Fungal Process. New York : Chapman and Hall. 357–423. , ,
- 1989. A rootbox for quantitative observations on intact entire root systems. Plant and Soil 117: 295–298. , , ,
- 1988. Mycorrhizal links between plants: their functioning and ecological significance. Advances in Ecological Research 18: 243–270.
- 1993. Rates of phosphorus transfer within and between ryegrass (Lolium perenne) plants. Functional Ecology 7: 242–248. ,
- 1994. Plant species that can be linked by VA mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 126: 691–693. , , ,
- 1981. Carbon isotope fractionation in plants. Phytochemistry 20: 553–567.
- 1981. Carbon flow in plant microbial associations. Science 213: 473–474. ,
- 1987. Carbon gain by plants in natural environments. BioScience 37: 21–28. , , , , ,
- 1994. Forest ecosystems. Baltimore , USA : Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1989. Bootstrapping in ecosystems. BioScience 39: 230–257. , , , ,
- 1991. Comparative drought resistance among six species of birch (Betula): influence of mild water stress on water relations and leaf gas exchange. Tree Physiology 8: 351–360. , ,
- 1985. Mycorrhizal mycelia and nutrient cycling in plant communities. In: FitterAH. AtkinsonD. ReadDJ, UsherMB, eds. Ecological Interactions in Soil: Plants, Microbes and Animals, British Ecological Society Special Publication No.4 Oxford : Btackwell Scientific Publications, 193–217. , ,
- 1977. Water stress effects on root exudation by lodgepole pine. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 9: 417–422. ,
- 1986. Nutrient transport between ryegrass plants differing in nutrient status. Oecologia 70: 128–131. ,
- 1988. A root-mycocosm for growing ectomycorrhizal hyphae from host roots while maintaining symbiotic integrity. Plant and Soil 109: 281–284. , ,
- 1995. Interspecific carbon transfer in ectomycorrhizal tree species mixtures. Ph.D. thesis, Oregon State University , USA .
- 1997a. Shared compatibility of ectomycorrhizae on Pseudotsuga menziesii and Betula papyrifera seedlings grown in mixture in soils from southern British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 27: 131–342. , , , ,
- 1997b. Carbon allocation and carbon transfer between Betula papyrifera and Pseudotsuga menziesii seedlings using a 13C pulse-labeling method. Plant and Soil 191: 41–55. , ,
- 1990. Structure and function of the interfaces in biotrophic symbioses as they relate to nutrient transport. New Phytologist 114: 1–38. ,
- 1995. Physiological responses of paper birch to thinning in the ICHmw subzone of British Columbia. Forest Ecology and Management 73: 177–184. , ,
- 1991. Photosynthesis/translocation studies in terrestrial ecosystems. In: ColemanDC, FryB, eds. Carbon Isotope Techniques. San Diego , CA , USA : Academic Press, 11–36. ,
- 1973. The use of 14CO2 canopy techniques for measuring carbon transfer through plant–soil systems. Plant and Soil 38: 331–345. ,
- 1985. Forest ecosystems: concepts and management. Orlando , USA : Academic Press. ,
- 1996. Interspecific nutrient transfer in a tallgrass prairie plant community. American Journal of Botany 83: 180–184. , , ,
- 1994. Effect of clipping, benomyl, and genet on 14C transfer between mycorrhizal plants. Oikas 71: 246–252. ,
- 1996. Carbon transfer between C3 and C4 plants linked by a Common mycorrhizal network, quantified using stable carbon isotopes. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 28: 471–477. , , ,
- 1986. The influence of the rhizosphere on crop productivity. Advances in Microbial Ecology 9: 187–244. ,