Toxic interactions of metal ions (Cd2+, Pb2+, Zn2+ and Sb3−) on in vitro biomass production of ectomycorrhizal fungi
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 3, pages 551–562, November 1997
How to Cite
HARTLEY, J., CAIRNEY, J. W. G., SANDERS, F. E. and MEHARG, A. A. (1997), Toxic interactions of metal ions (Cd2+, Pb2+, Zn2+ and Sb3−) on in vitro biomass production of ectomycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist, 137: 551–562. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00835.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 24 April 1997; accepted 15 July 1997)
- 1990. Heavy metals in soils. London : Blaekie and Sons.
- 1992. Effects of media components on toxicity of Cd to Rhizobia. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 64: 623–633. , ,
- 1976. Interaction of zinc with other micro-nutrient cations. I. Effect of copper on zinc65 absorption by wheat seedlings and its translocation within the plants. Plant and Soil 45: 137–143. ,
- 1985. Zinc tolerance of Amanila and Paxillus. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 84: 167–369. ,
- 1985. The influence of zinc on the translocation of cadmium and mercury in the fungus Agrocybe aegerita (a model system). Angewandte Botanik 59: 469–477. ,
- 1986. Interactive effects of cadmium, copper and nickel on the growth of Sitka spruce and studies of metal uptake from nutrient solutions. New Phytologist 103: 549–557. , ,
- 1994. The fungi. London : Academic Press Ltd. ,
- 1977. Growth reduction in American sycamore Plantanus occidentalis L.) caused by Pb-Cd interaction. Environmental Pollution 12: 243–253. ,
- 1983. Cadmium uptake kinetics in intact soybean plants. Plant Physiology 73: 844–848. , ,
- 1989. III. Mineral nutrition: divalent cations, transport and compartmentation. Progress in Botany 51: 93–112. ,
- 1987. Heavy metal tolerance in some ectomycorrhizal fungi. Functional Ecology 1: 415–421. ,
- 1992. The effects of cadmium and the cadmium-zinc interaction on the axenic growth of ectomy-corrhizal fungi. Plant and Soil 145: 237–243. ,
- 1993. The effects of cadmium on ectomycarrhizal Pinus sylvestris L. New Phytologist 123: 325–333. ,
- 1988. Cadmium alters the growth of the ectomycorrhizal fungus Paxillus involutes: a new growth model accounts for changes in branching. Canadian Journal of Botany 66: 225–229. ,
- 1987. Zinc tolerance in Betula spp. III. Variation in response to zinc among ectomycorrhizal associates. New Phytologist 106: 535–544. ,
- 1995. Differential responses of Pisolithus tinciorius isolates to aluminium in vitro. Canadian Journal of Botany 73: 1229–1233. ,
- 1983. The use of solid medium to study effects of cadmium, copper and zinc on yeasts and yeast-like fungi; applicability and limitations. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 54: 57–62.
- 1993. Interactions of fungi with toxic metals. New Phytologist 124: 25–60.
- 1997. Do ectomycorrhizal fungi exhibit adaptive tolerance to potentially toxic metals in the environment Plant and Soil, 189: 303–319. , ,
- 1987. Ecotoxicology of copper and cadmium in a contaminated grassland ecosystem. I. Soil and vegetation contamination. Journal of Applied Ecology 24: 573–586. , ,
- 1988. The effects of nickel and copper on the axenic growth of ectomycorrhizal fungi. Canadian Journal of Botany 66: 119–124. ,
- 1990. Differential response of some ectomycorrhizal fungi to cadmium in vitro. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 39: 241–246. ,
- 1984. Trace elements at soils and plants. Boca Raton , FL , USA : CRC Press. ,
- 1969. The influence of ectotrophic mycorrhizal fungi on the resistance of pine roots to pathogenic infections. I. Antagoniam of mycorrhizal fungi to root pathogenic and soil bacteria. Phytopathology 59: 153–163.
- 1995. Mineral nutrition uf higher plants, 2nd edn. London : Academic Press Ltd.
- 1982. Inhibition of growth of nine ectomycorrhizal fungi by cadmium, lead and nickel in vitro. Environmental and Experimental Botany 22: 1–7. ,
- 1992. Suppression of the high affinity phosphate uptake system: a mechanism of arsenate tolerance in Holcus tanatus L. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 519–524. ,
- 1974. Nitrate transport system in Neurospora crassa. Journal of Bacteriology 118: 259–269. ,
- 1997. Mycorrhizal Symbiosis, 2nd edn. London : Academic Press Ltd. ,
- 1992. Interactive effects of cadmium, lead and zinc on root growth of two metal tolerant genotypes of Holcus lanatus L. Biometals 5: 173–178. ,
- 1995. Heavy metal tolerance by ectomycorrhizal fungi and metal amelioration by Pisolithus tinctorius. Mycorrhiza 5: 181–187.
- 1974. Heavy metal pollution in the Sudbury mining and smelting region of Canada. 2. Soil toxicity tests, Environmental Conservation 1: 191–200. ,
- 1975. Zinc and copper uptake by Agrostis stolonifera, tolerant to both zinc and copper. New Phytologist 75: 231–237. ,