Biology of the ectomycorrhizal genus, Rhizopogon
III. Influence of co-cultured conifer species on mycorrhizal specificity with the arbutoid hosts Arctostaphylos uva-ursi and Arbutus menziesii
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 3, pages 519–528, November 1997
How to Cite
MOLINA, R., SMITH, J. E., MCKAY, D. and MELVILLE, L.H. (1997), Biology of the ectomycorrhizal genus, Rhizopogon. New Phytologist, 137: 519–528. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00836.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 9 September 1996; accepted 17 July 1997)
- 1989. Interaction effects of vegetation type and Pacific madrone soil inocula on survival, growth, and mycorrhiza formation of Douglas-fir. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19: 550–556. ,
- 1994. The function of ectomycorrhizal fungi in the field: linkages in space and time. Plant and Soil 159: 133–140. ,
- 1990. Growth and ectomycorrhiza formation of Douglas-fir seedlings grown in soils collected at different distances from pioneering hardwoods in southwestern Oregon clearcuts. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 712–721. ,
- 1989. Accelerated evolution of a false truffle from a mushroom ancestor. Nature 339: 140–142. , , ,
- 1992. Rate and mode differences between nuclear and mitochondrial small-subunit rRNA genes in mushrooms. Molecular Biology and Evolution 9: 836–855. ,
- 1989. Mycorrhizae. In: LandisTD, TinusRW, McDonaldSE, BarnettJP, eds. The Container Tree Nursery Manual, vol. 5, Agricultural Handbook 674. Washington . DC : U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 101–167. ,
- 1992. Phylogenetic relationships among members of the Monotropoideae with a note on the placement of the Pyroluideae. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 7: 501–516.
- 1996. Evolution of extreme specialization within a lineage of ectomycorrhizal epiparasites. Nature 379: 63–66. , ,
- 1990. Effect of soil humus cover on the establishment and development of mycorrhiza on containerised Pinus sylvatris L. and Finns contorta spp. latifolia Engelm. after outplanting. Scandinavian Journal of Purest Research 5: 103–112.
- 1984. Ectomycorrhizal associations in jack pine stands in northeastern Alberta. Canadian Journal of Botany 62: 932–939.
- 1986a. The development and ultrastructure of ectomycorrhizas. III. Compatible and incompatible interactions between Suillus grevillei (Klotzsch) Sing, and 11 species of ectomycorrhizal hosts in vitro in the absence of exogenous carbohydrate. New Phytologist 103: 457–464.
- 1986b. The developmenl and ultrastructure of ectomycorrhizas. IV. Compatible and incompatible interactions between Suillus grevillei (Klotzsch) Sing, and a number of ectomycorrhizal hosts in vitro in the presence of exogenous carbohydrate. New Phylologist 103: 465–471.
- 1992. Pseudotsuga menziesii invasion into stands of chaparral: assessment of mycorrkizal facilitation and other mechanisms. Masters thesis, San Francisco State University, California .
- 1984. Comparison of asymptotically distribution-free procedures for the analysis of complete blocks. Journal of American Statistical Association 79: 647–685. , ,
- 1985. An improved fixation protocol for ultrustructural studies of eclomycorrhizae. Proceedings of the Microscopy Society of Canada 12: 68–69. , ,
- 1993. Structure and histochemistry of mycorrhizae synthesized between Arbutus memiesii (Ericaceae) and two basidiomycetes, Pisolithus tinctorius (Pisolithaceae) and Piladerma bicolor (Corti-caceae). Mycorrhiza 3: 1–11. , , ,
- 1994. Biology of the ectomycorrhizal genus Rhisopogon. II. Patterns of host-fungus specificity following spore inoculation of diverse hosts grown in mono- and dual-cultures. New Phytologist 126: 677–690. , , ,
- 1986. Structure and ontogeny of Alnus crispa - Alpofa diplophloeiis ectomyeorrhizae. Canadian Journal of Botany 64: 177–192. , , ,
- 1992. Specificity phenomena in mycorrhizal symbioses: community-ecological consequences and practical implications. In: AllenMF, ed. Myrorrhizal Functioning: an Integrative Plant-Fungal Process. New York : Chapman and Hall, 357–423. , ,
- 1982a. Patterns of ectomycorrhizal host specificity and potential among Pacific Northwest conifers and fungi Forest Science 28: 423–458. ,
- 1982 Lack of myoorrhizal specificity by the ericaceous hosts Arbutus menziesii and Arctostaphylos uvaursi. New Phytologist 90: 495–509. ,
- 1994. Biology of the ectornycorrhizal genus Rhizopugon. I. Host associations, host-specificity and pure culture syntheses. New Phytologist 125: 653–675. ,
- 1989. Bootstrapping in ecosystems. Bio Science 39: 230–237. , , , ,
- 1995. Ectumycorrhiral fungal succession in jack pine stands following wildfire. New Phytologist 129: 389–401.
- 1974. Ectendomycorrhiza of Pacific madrone (Arbutus mensiesii). Transactions of the British Mycohgical Society 62: 201–204.
- 1976a. Pure culture synthesis of hearberry mycorrhizae. Canadian Journal of Botany 54: 1297–1305.
- 1976b. Pure culture synthesis of Pacific madrone ectetidomycorrhizae. Mycologia 68: 362–369.