Elevated CO2 enhances below-ground C allocation in three perennial grass species at different levels of N availability
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 3, pages 421–431, November 1997
How to Cite
COTRUFO, M. F. and GORISSEN, A. (1997), Elevated CO2 enhances below-ground C allocation in three perennial grass species at different levels of N availability. New Phytologist, 137: 421–431. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00839.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 26 February 1997; accepted 30 June 1997)
- 1995. Soil and biomass carbon pools in model communities of tropical plants under elevated CO2 Oecoiagia 104: 61–71. ,
- 1991, Effects of source–sink relations on photosynthetic acclimation to elevated CO2. Plant. Cell and Environment 14: 869–875.
- 1990. The response of natural ecosystems to the rising global CO2 levels. Annual Review of Ecological Systems 21: 167–196.
- 1993. Modifications of the carbon and nitrogen allocations in the plant (Triticum aestivum L.) soil system in response to increased atmospheric CO2 concentration. Plant and Soil 157: 215–225. , ,
- 1995. Variation in grassland populations and species and the implications for community responses to elevated CO2 Journal of Bit/geography 22: 315–322. , , , , , ,
- 1995. Effects of enhanced atmospheric CO, and nutrient supply on the quality and subsequent decomposition of fine roots of Betula pendula Roth, and Picea silcherrsis (Bong) Carr. Plant and Soil 170: 267–277. ,
- 1979. Simple procedure for the determination of total carbon and its radioactivity in soils and plant materials, Analyst 104: 151–154.
- 1993. A dynamic model of terrestrial carbon cycling. In: HeimannM, ed. The Global Carbon Cycle. Berlin : Springer-Verlag, 239–260. , ,
- 1985. Respiration of crop species under CO2, enrichment, Phvsiologia Plantarunt 63: 351–356. , ,
- 1996. Elevated CO2 evokes quantitative and qualitative changes in carbon dynamics in a plant/soil system: mechanisms and implications. Plant and Soil 187: 289–298.
- 1996. ESPAS – an advanced phytotron for measuring carbon dynamics in a whole plant-soil system. Plant and Soil 179: 81–87. , , , ,
- 1995. Grass root decomposition is retarded when Brass has been grown under elevated CO2 Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 117–1211. , , ,
- 1991. Effects of CO2, enrichment and nitrogen stress on growth, partitioning of dry matter and nitrogen in wheal and maLze. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 339–356. ,
- 1996. Quantification of soil C input under enriched CO2 C3plants in a C4, soil. Plant and Soil 187: 345–350. , , , ,
- IPCC. 1995. Climate change 1991. The science of climate change. HoughtonJT, CallanderBA, VarneySK, eds. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1991. Model estimates of CO2 emissions from soil in response to global warming. Nature 351: 304–306. , ,
- 1995. The effects of elevated CO2 concentrations on the root growth of Lolium perenne and Trifolium repens grown in a FACE system. Global Change Biology 1: 361–371. , , , ,
- 1983. Carbon dioxide and agricultural yield: an assemblage and analysis of 430 prior observations Agronomy Journal 75: 779–789.
- 1996. Below-ground microbial and microfaunal responses to Artemisia tridentata grown under elevated atmospheric CO2. Functional Ecology 10: 527–534. , ,
- 1992. Responses to elevated carbon dioxide in artificial tropical ecosystems. Science 257: 1672–1675. , .
- 1990. Effect of elevated atmospheric CO2-levels on the carbon economy of a soil planted with wheat. In: BouwmanAF. ed. Soils and the Greenhouse Effect. Chichester , UK : John Wiley & Sons. 423–429. , ,
- 1995. Plain growth and soil processes in temperate grassland communities at elevated CO2. Journal of Biogeography 22: 235–240. , , , , , ,
- 1989. Soil microbiology and biogenchemistry. San Diego , CA . USA : Academic Press. ,
- 1996. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to elevated CO2: a search for functional types. In: KornerC, BazzazFA, eds. Carbon Dioxide, Populations, and Communities. San Diego . CA , USA . Academic Press, 375–412. , ,
- 1992. Cotton root and rhizosphere responses to free-air CO2, enrichment. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 11: 251–263. , ,
- 1997. Carbon balance and water use efficiency of frequently cut Lulium perenne L. swards at elevated carbon dioxide. Global Change Biology 3: 207–216. , , , ,
- 1995. Effects of CO2 enrichment and intraspecific competition on biumass partitioning, nitrogen content and micrabial biomass carhon in soil of perennial ryegrass and white clover. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 987–993. , , ,
- 1996. Long-term effects of COa enrichment and temperature increase on a temperate grass award. II. Plant nitrogen budgets and root fraction. Plant and Soil 182: 101–114. , ,
- 1995. Ecosystems response to elevated CO2: nutrient availability and nutrient cycling. In: MorenoJM. OechelWC, eds. Global Change and Mediterranean-Type Ecosystems. New York : Springer Yerlag. 326–342. ,
- 1990. Observational constraints on the global atmosphere CO2, budget. Science 247: 1431–1438. , ,
- 1996. Spatial and temporal patterns in terrestrial carbon storage due to deposition of fosail-fuel nitrogen. Ecological Applications 6: 804–814. , , ,
- 1996. Long-term decomposition of grass roots as affected by elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide. Journal of Environmental Quality 25: 1122–1128. , ,
- 1994. Microbial biomass method based on soluble carbon in the soil solution. Suit Biology and Biochemistry 26: 417–419. , ,
- 1997. Carhon and nitrogen allocation in Lolium perenne in response to elevated atmospheric CO2 with emphasis on soil carbon dynamics. Plant and Soil. 188: 299–308. , ,
- 1980. Determination of total nitrogen in plant material with Nessler's reagent by continuous-flow analysis. Analyst 105: 1199–1203. ,
- 1991. Carbon fluxes in plant-soil systems at elevated atmospheric CG, levels. Ecological Applications. 1: 175–181. , , ,
- 1993. Elevated atmospheric CO2 and feedback between carbon and nitrogen cycles. Plant and Soil 151: 105–117. , , , , ,