Differential tolerance to copper and zinc of micropropagated birches tested in hydroponics
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 3, pages 543–549, November 1997
How to Cite
UTRIAINEN, M. A., KÄRENLAMPI, L. V., KÄRENLAMPI, S.O. and SCHAT, H. (1997), Differential tolerance to copper and zinc of micropropagated birches tested in hydroponics. New Phytologist, 137: 543–549. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00840.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 6 August 1996; accepted 26 June 1997)
- 1981. Patterns of vegetation in the vicinity of an industrially disturbed ecosystem, Sudbury, Ontario. Canadian Journal of Botany 59: 1623–1639. ,
- 1940. Crop production in artificial culture solutions and in soils with special reference to factors influencing yields and absorption of inorganic nutrients. Soil Science 50: 463–485. ,
- 1990. Ecophysiology of metal uptake by tolerant plants. In: ShawAJ, ed. Heavy Metal Tolerance in Plants: Evolutionary Aspects. Boca Raton , PL , USA : CRC Press, Inc., 155–177. ,
- 1985. Zinc tolerance in Betula. New Phytologist 99: 91–100. ,
- 1985. Zinc tolerance of mycorrhizal Betula New Phytologist 99: 101–106. ,
- 1993. The effects of cadmium on ectumycorrhizal Pinus sylvestris L. New Phytologist 123: 325–333. ,
- 1987. Zinc tolerance in Betula spp. I. Effect of external concentration of sine on growth and uptake. New Phytologist 106: 517–524. ,
- 1989. Copper-induced damage to the permeability barrier in roots of Silene cucubalus. Journal of Plant Physiology 135: 165–169. . ,
- 1991. Increased resistance to copper-induced damage of the root cell plasmalemma in copper tolerant Silene cucubalus. Physiologia Plantarum 82: 523–528. , , , ,
- 1984. Heavy metal emission and genetic constitution of plant populations in the vicinity of two metal emission sources. Angewandte Botanik 58: 47–59. , , ,
- 1991. Lead tolerance of Betula and Salix in the mining area of Mechernich/Germany. Plant and Soil 131: 275–285. , , ,
- Ernst WHO. 1969. Zur Physiologic der Schwermetallpflanzen –Subzelluläre Speicherungsorte des Zinks. Berichte der Deutschen Botanischen Gesellschaft 82: 161–164.
- Ernst WHO. 1982. Monitoring of particulate pollutants. In: SteubingL, JägerH, eds. Monitoring of Air Pollutants by Plants. The Hague : Junk Publishers, 121–128.
- Ernst WHO. 1990. Mine vegetation in Europe. In: ShawAJ, ed. Heavy Metal Tolerance m Plants: Evolutionary Aspects. Boca Raton , FL , USA : CRC Press, Inc. 21–38.
- 1992. Metal tolerance in plants. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 41: 229–248. , ,
- 1974. The potential for evolution of heavy metal tolerance in plants. II. Copper tolerance in normal population of different plant species. Heredity 32: 335–348. ,
- 1990. Birch sap as a tool for biogeochemical prospecting. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 37: 351–365. ,
- 1986. The effect of mycorrhizal infection on the response of Betula papyrifera to nickel and copper. New Phytologist 102: 429–442. ,
- 1988. The effects of nickel and copper on the axenic growth of ectomycorrhizal fungi. Canadian Journal of Botany 66: 119–124. ,
- 1958. Populations of Agrostis ssp. tolerant of heavy metals. Nature 182: 816–817.
- 1995. Variations in chemical composition of birch foliage under air pollution stress and their consequences for Eriocrania miners. Environmental Pollution 88: 41–50. ,
- 1981. Commercially-feasible micropropagation of mountain laurel, Kalmia latifolia, by use of shoottip culture. Combined Proceedings International Plant Propagators Society 30: 421–427. ,
- 1984. The possible role of metallothioneins in Silene cucubalus. Planta 162: 174–179. , , ,
- 1994, Copper-induced changes on growth, metal content and photosynthetic function of Alyssum montanum L. plants. Environmental and Experimental Botany 34: 165–172.
- 1993. Growth and stomatal responses of birch (Betula pendula Roth.) clones to ozone in open-air and chamber fumigations. New Phytologist 125: 615–623. , , ,
- 1992. Genetic control of copper tolerance in Silene vulgaris. Heredity 68: 219–229. ,
- 1997. Multiple tolerance and co-tolerance to heavy metals in Silene vulgaris: a co-segregation analysis. New Phytologist 136: 489–496. ,
- 1985. Differential uptake and toxicity of ionic and chelated copper in Triticum aestivum. Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 1271–1275. ,
- 1989. Cadmium tolerance and co-tolerance in Silent vulgaris (Moench) Garcke (= S. cucubalus (L.) Wib.). New Phytologist 111: 637–645. ,
- 1977. Some physiological aspects of copper and zinc tolerance in Agrostis tenuis Sibth: cell elongation and membrane damage. Journal of Experimental Botany 28: 1029–1036. ,
- 1950. Gold and silver content of some trees and horsetails in British Columbia. Bulletin Geological Society of America 61: 123–128. ,
- 1995. Multiple metal resistance and co-resistance in Acer pseudoplatanus L. (sycamore) callus cultures. Annuls of Botany 76: 465–472. ,
- 1957. A technique for the measurement of lead tolerance in plants. Nature 180: 37.
- 1978. The measurement of tolerance to edaphic factors by means of root growth. New Phytologist 80: 623–633.
- 1990. Copper tolerance and copper uptake of Lotus purshianus (Benth.) Clem. & Clem, and its symbiotic Rhizobium loti derived from a copper mint- waste population. New Phytologist 116: 531–539. ,
- 1966. Chemical elements in complete mature trees of seven species in Maine. Tappi 49: 190–197. ,