Growth and mycorrhizal colonization of three North American tree species under elevated atmospheric CO2
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 3, pages 433–440, November 1997
How to Cite
GODBOLD, D. L., BERNTSON, G. M. and BAZZAZ, F. A. (1997), Growth and mycorrhizal colonization of three North American tree species under elevated atmospheric CO2. New Phytologist, 137: 433–440. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00842.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 21 November 1996; accepted 4 June 1997)
- 1992a. Characterization of ectomycorrhiza. Methods in Microbiology 23: 25–73.
- 1992b. Colour alias of ectumycorrhizas. Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany: Einhom-Yerlag.
- 1996. Differential responses of root uptake kinetics of NH4+ and NO3 to enriched atmospheric CO2 concentration in field-Brown loblolly pine. Plant, Cell and Environment 19: 367–371. , , ,
- 1995a. The structure and function of the vegetative mycelium of ectomycorrhizal plants. V. Foraging behaviour and translocation of nutrients from exploited litter. New Phytologist 130: 401–409. ,
- 1995b. The structure and function of the vegetative mycelium of ectomycorrhizal plants. VI. Activities of nutrient mobilizing enzymes in birth litter colonized by Paxillus involutus (Fr.) Fr. Mew Phytologist 130: 411–417. ,
- 1994. Modelling root architecture: are there trade-offs between efficiency and potential of resource acquisition New Phytologist 127: 483–493.
- 1996. Rani growth and nitrogen cycling in temperate deciduuus forests in an elevated CO2world. Ph.D. thesis. Harvard University , USA .
- 1996. The influence of elevated CO2 on the allometry of root production and root loss in Acer rubrum and Betuia papyerifera. American Journal of Botany 83: 608–616. ,
- 1997. The influence of elevated CO2 on the magnitude and seasonal dynamics of root production and root loss in Betuia papyrifera. Plant and Soil 190: 311–316. ,
- 1992. The root system architecture and development of Senecio vulgaris in elevated carbon dioxide and drought. Functional Ecology 6: 324–333. ,
- 1990. Growth and phosphorus acquisition of karri (Eucalyptus diversicolor F. Muell.) seedlings inoculated with ectomycorrhizal fungi in relation to phosphorus supply. Sees Phytologist 114: 77–85. , ,
- BrundrettM, MelvilleL, PetersonL., (eds) 1994. Practical methods in mycorrhiza research. Canada : Sidney.
- 1994. Consequences of foraging in clonal plan species. Ecohg 75: 933–944.
- 1993. The effect of cadmium on cctomycorrhizal Pinus sybuestris L. New Phytologist 123: 125–333. ,
- 1990. Relationship of colonization and sporulatson by VA mycorrhizat fungi to plant nutrient and carbohydrate contents. New Phytologist 116: 621–627. ,
- 1993. Characterization of Picea abies (L.) Karst. ectnmycorrhizas: discrepancy between classification according to macroscopic versus microscopic features. Trees 7: 123–129. , , ,
- 1995. Abundance of Tyliapora fibrillosa ectomycor-rhizas in south Swedish spruce forest measured by RFLP analysis of the PCR-amplified rDNA ITS region. Mycohgical Research 99: 1425–1428.
- 1992. The effects of ectomycorrhizal status on plant-water relations and sensitivity of leaf-gas exchange to soil drought in Douglas fir (Pseudatsuga menziesii) seedlings. In: ReadDJ, LewisDH, FitterAH, AlexanderIJ, eds. Mycorrhizas in Ecosystems. Wallingford , UK : CAB International, 323–332. , ,
- 1995. Shoots, roots and ectomycorrhiza formation of pine seedlings at elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide. Plant, Cell and Environment 18: 7113–707. , ,
- 1996. Influence of drought on ectomycorrhizal species composition-murphorype versus PCr identification. In: Azcon-AguilarC, BareaJM eds. Mycorrhizas in Integrated Systems from Gene to Plant Development. Brussels : EC, 43–46. , , , ,
- 1989. A modified procedure for staining roots to detect VA mycorrhizas. Mycological Research 92: 486–488. ,
- 1994. Effect of elevated CO2 on mycorrhizal colonization of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) seedlings. Plant and Soil 165: 81–88. , ,
- 1991. Detection of extracellular cellulolytic and proteolytie activity in ectomycorrhizal fungi and Heterobasidion annasum (Fr.) Bref. New Phytologist 117: 643–648. , ,
- 1994. Einftuβ der Myknrrkizierutig auf die Aufnahme von Blei bei Fichtenkeimlingen. Ph.D. thesis, Universität Götingen, Germany .
- 1977. High fertility decreases sucrose content and susceptibility of loblolly pine roots to ectomycorrhizaJ infection by Pisalithus tinctorius. Canadian Journal of Botany 55: 1569–1574. , ,
- 1994. The response of mycorrhizal colonization to elevated CO2 and climate change in Pascopyrum smithii and Bouleloua gracilis. Plant and Soil 165: 75–80. , , ,
- 1994. Issues and perspectives for investigating root responses to elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide. Plant and Soil 165: 9–20.
- 1994. Responses of soil biota to elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide. Plant and Soil 165: 55–65.
- 1987. Increases in mycorrhiral colonisation and seedling growth in Pinus echinnta and QuerOts alba in an enriched CO2, atmosphere. Canadian Journal of Forestry Research 17: 878–883. , ,
- 1991. Hiearchy theory as a guide to mycorrhizal research on large-scale problems. Environmental Pollution 73: 271–284. , ,
- 1995. Interactions of elevated CO2, NH3 and O3 on mycorrhizal infection, gas exchange and N metabolism in saplings of Scots pine. Plant and Soil 176: 107–116. , , ,
- 1995. Atmospheric CO2 soil nitrogen and turnnver of fine roots. New Phytologist 129: 579–585. , , , , ,
- 1994. Free-air CO2 enrichment of cotton: vertical and lateral root distribution patterns. Plant and Soil 165: 33–44. , , ,
- 1994. Acid deposition and ectomycorrhizal symbiosis: field investigations and causal relationships. In: GodboldDL, HiittermannA, eds. Effects of Acid Rain on Forest Processes, New York : Wiley. 183–230. ,
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225.
- 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2, enrichment with emphasis on roots and the rhizosphere. Environmental Pollution 83: 155–189. , ,
- 1994. Contribution of ectomycorrhiza to the potential nutrient-absorbing surface of pine. New Phytologist 128: 639–644. , ,
- 1994, Mycorhizac alter quality and quantity of carbon allocated belowground. Nature 369: 55–58. ,
- 1981. Biometry, 2nd edn. New York : W.H. Freeman. ,
- 1993. Root growth and functioning under atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Vegetatio 104/105: 99–115. ,
- 1992. Quantification of external hyphae of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Methods in Microbiology 24: 53–65.