Dedicated to Prof. Dr Benno Parthier, Institute of Plant Biochemistry, Halle, on the occasion of his 65th birthday
Photosynthesis and photoinhibition in a tropical alpine giant rosette plant, Lobelia rhynchopetalum
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 3, pages 453–461, November 1997
How to Cite
FETENE, M., NAUKE, P., LÜTTGE, U. and BECK, E. (1997), Photosynthesis and photoinhibition in a tropical alpine giant rosette plant, Lobelia rhynchopetalum. New Phytologist, 137: 453–461. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00844.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 14 November 1996; accepted 24 June 1997)
- 1994. The role of photoinhibition during tree seedling establishment at low temperature. In: BakerNR, BowyerJR. eds. Photoinhibition of Photosynthesis from Molecular Mechanisms to the Field. Oxford : Bios Scientific Publishers, 365–376.
- 1987. Photosynthesis in frost-hardened and frost-stressed leaves of Hedera helix L Plant, Cell and Environment 10: 339–346. ,
- 1994. Cold Tolerance. In: RundelPW, MeinzerFC, SmithAP, eds. Tropical Alpine Environments: Plant Form and Function. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. 77–110.
- 1995. ‘Winter every night, summer every day’ökophysiologische Herausforderung tropischer Hochgebirgispflanzen. In: Rundgespräche der Kommisson für Ökologie. Bd. ‘Tropenforschung’, 187–198.
- 1980. Estimation of leaf and stem growth of unbranched Senetcio keniodendron trees. Flora 170: 68–76. , , ,
- 1982. Frost avoidance and freezing tolerance in afroalpine giant rosette plants. Plant. Cell and Environment 5: 215–222. , , , ,
- 1991. Temperature dependence of violaxamhin de-epoxidation and non-photochemical fluorescence quenching in intact leaves of Gossypium hirsutum L. and Malva parviflora L. Planta 91: 541–551. ,
- 1995. Determination of the quantum efficiency of photosystem II and of non-photochemical quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence in the field. Oecologia 102: 425–432. , ,
- 1987. Photon yield of O2 evolution and chlorophyll fluorescence characteristics at 77K among vascular plants of diverse origin, Planta 170: 489–504. ,
- 1994. Reputation of photo-synthetic light energy capture, conversion, and dissipation in leaves of higher plants. In: SchulzeED, CaldwellMM, eds. Ecophysiology of Photosynthesis, Ecological Studies, vol 100. Berlin : Springer, 17–47. ,
- 1987. Effect of supercooling and freezing an photosynthesis in freezing tolerant leaves of afroalpine giant rosette' plants Oecologia 72: 366–371. ,
- 1992. The effects of low-temperature acclimation and photoinhibitory treatments on Photosystem 2 studied by thermoluminescence and fluorescence decay kinetics. Bicohimica et Biophysica Acta 31: 1–10. , , ,
- 1994. Dl protein turnover: response ICJ photodamage or regulatory mechanism. In: BakerNR, BowyerJR. eds. Photoinhibition of Photosynthesis front Molecular Mechanisms to the Field. Oxford : Bins Scientific Publishers, 195–203.
- 1989. Zeaxanthin synthesis, energy dissipation, and photoprotection of photosystem II at chilling temperatures. Plant Physiology 90: 894–898. , , ,
- 1987. Damage to maize photosynthesis in the field during periods when chilling is combined with high photon fluxes. In: BigginsI, ed. Progress in Photosynthesis Research, vol. IV. Dordrecht : Martius Nijhoff. 139–142. ,
- 1991. The occurrence of photoinhibition in an over-wintering crop of oil-seed rape (Brassica napus L.) and its correlation with changes m crop growth. Planta 185: 279–286. ,
- 1996. Plant communities of the afroalpine vegetation of Sanetti plateau. Bale Mountains. Ethiopia. Sinet, Ethiopian Journal of Science 19: 65–86. ,
- 1989. Tin. relationship between quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Bicohimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , ,
- 1996. Photosynthetic gas exchange and temperature induced damage in seedlings of the tropical alpine species Argyroxiphium sandwicense. Oecologia 106: 248–307. , , , ,
- 1995. Cold hardiness and supercooling along an altitudinal gradient in Andean giant rosette species. Oecologia 68: 147–152. , ,
- 1989. Leaf gas exchange of two giant caulescent rosette species. Oecologia 10: 359–370. , , ,
- 1964. Features of afroalpine plant ecoogy. Acta Phytogeographica Suecica 49: 1–144.
- 1993. Photosynthesis, photoinhibition and low temperature acclimation in cold tolerant plants. Photosynthesis Research 37: 19–39. , , , , ,
- 1992. Effect of cold hardening on sensitivity of winter and spring wheat leaves to short-term photoinhibition and recovery of photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 100: 1283–1290. ,
- 1992. Effect of long-term photoinhibition on growth and photosynthesis and of cold hardened spring and winter wheat. Planta 188: 369–375. , , ,
- 1993. The dissipation of excess excitation energy in British plant species. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 673–679. , , ,
- 1988. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis: An evaluation of damaging and protecting mechanisms. Physiologic Plantarum 74: 566–574.
- 1991. Chlorophyll fluorescence and photosynthesis: the basics. Annual Review Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 313–394. ,
- 1985. Morphological changes along an altitude gradient and their consequences for an Andean giant rosette plants. Oecologia 65: 278–283. , ,
- 1989. Light and temperature dependent inhibition of photosynthesis in frost hardened and unhardened seedlings of pine. Photosynthesis Research 20: 261–277. ,
- 1994, What is photoinhibition: Some insights from comparisons of sun and shade plants. In: BakerNR, BowyerJR. eds. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis from Molecular Mechanisms to the Field. Oxford : Bios Scientific Publishers, 1–24.
- 1995. Seasonal changes in photosystem II organisation and pigment composition in Pinus sylvestris. Planta 197: 176–183. , ,
- 1991. Recovery of photosynthesis in winter stressed Scots pines. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 345–349. ,
- 1992. Age-related differences in frost sensitivity of the photosynthetic apparatus of two Pelargonium species. Planta 187: 224–229. ,
- 1994. Chlorophyll fluorescence as a non-intrusive indicator for a rapid assessment of in vivo photosynthesis. In: SchulzeED, CaldwellMM, eds. Ecophysiology of Photosynthesis, Ecological Studies, vol. 100, Berlin : Springer, 40–70. , ,
- 1985. Carbon dioxide assimilation and stomatal response of afroalpine giant rosette plants. Oecologia 65: 207–213. , , ,
- 1987. Tropical alpine plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18: 137–158. ,
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. ,