Ozone-induced accumulation of carbohydrates changes enzyme activities of carbohydrate metabolism in birch leaves
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 4, pages 673–680, December 1997
How to Cite
EINIG, W., LAUXMANN, U., HAUCH, B., HAMPP, R., LANDOLT, W., MAURER, S. and MATYSSEK, R. (1997), Ozone-induced accumulation of carbohydrates changes enzyme activities of carbohydrate metabolism in birch leaves. New Phytologist, 137: 673–680. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00863.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 10 February 1997; accepted 28 July 1997)
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye-binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254.
- 1992. Alterations in carbohydrate levels in leaves of Populus due to ambient air pollution. Physiologia Plantarum 86: 512–517. ,
- 1989. The effects of air pollutants on physiological processes in plants. Plant, Cell and Environment 12: 1–30.
- 1996. Carbohydrate metabolism in 1- and 2-year-old spruce needles, and stem carbohydrates from three months before until three months after bud break. Physiologia Plantarum 96: 91–100. , , , , , ,
- 1993. Invertase, sucrose synthase and sucrose phosphate synthase in lyophilized spruce needles; microplate reader assays. Trees 7: 98–103. ,
- 1987. Subcellular metabolite levels in spinach leaves: Regulation of sucrose synthesis during diurnal alterations in photosynthetic partitioning. Plant Physiology 83: 399–407. , ,
- 1993. Differentiation and structural decline in the leaves and bark of birch (Betula pendula) under low ozone concentrations. Trees 7: 104–114. , , ,
- 1994. Kinetic and electrophoretic characterization of NADP dependent dehydrogenases from root tissues of Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) employing a rapid one-step extraction procedure. Trees 8: 191–197. , ,
- 1985. ADP and AMP, luminometric method. In: BergmeyerHU, ed. Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, vol. VII. Weinheim : Verlag Chemie, 370–379.
- 1990. Microdissection and biochemical analysis of plant tissues. In: LinskensHF, JacksonJF, eds. Modern Methods of Plant Analysis, vol. 11. Berlin : Springer-Verlag, 124–147. , ,
- 1990. Energy and redox status, and carbon allocation in one- to three-year-old spruce needles. Environmental Pollution 68: 305–318. , ,
- 1992. Comparative evaluation of the effects of gaseous pollutants, acidic deposition, and mineral deficiencies on the carbohydrate metabolism of trees. Agriculture, Ecosystem and Environment 42: 333–364.
- 1994. Possible mechanisms for the inhibition of photosynthesis by ozone. Photosynthesis Research 39: 439–451.
- 1992. The regulation of sucrose synthesis in leaves. In: PollockCJ, FarrarJF, GordonAJ, eds. Carbon Partitioning Within and Between Organisms. Oxford : BIOS Scientific Limited, 1–26. , , .
- 1985. Extinction coefficients of chlorophyll a and b in N,N-dimethyl-formamide and 80% acetone. Plant Physiology 77: 483–485. ,
- 1989. Interaction between nitrogen and photon flux density in birch seedlings at steady-state nutrition. Physiologia Plantarum 77: 1–11. ,
- 1985. Effects of NO2 and O3 alone or in combination on kidney bean plants (Phaseolus vulgaris L.): products of 13CO2 assimilation detected by 13C nuclear magnetic resonance. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 281–289. , ,
- 1992. Sugar levels modulate differential expression of maize sucrose synthase genes. The Plant Cell 4: 59–69. , , , ,
- 1996. Carbohydrate-modulated gene expression in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 509–540.
- 1991. Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase-oxygenase, other Calvin-cycle enzymes, and chlorophyll decrease when glucose is supplied to mature spinach leaves via the transpiration stream. Planta 186: 58–69. , ,
- 1994. Influence of high carbohydrate content on the activity of plastidic and cytosolic isoenzyme pairs in photosynthetic tissues. Plant, Cell and Environment 17: 861–866. ,
- 1988. Effects of ozone, sulphur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide on gas exchange and starch economy in Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst). Geojournal 17: 215–275. ,
- 1997. Effect of fertilization on ozone-induced changes in the metabolism of birch leaves (Betula pendula). New Phytologist, 137, 389–397. , , , , ,
- 1994. Ozone-induced microscopical changes and quantitative carbohydrate contents of hybrid poplar (Populus × euramericana). Trees 8: 183–190. , , ,
- 1989. The effect of ozone and season on the pool sizes of cyclitols in Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris). Trees 3: 77–87. , ,
- 1990. Effects of ozone on starch accumulation in Norway spruce (Picea abies). Trees 4: 107–110. ,
- 1991. Impairment of gas exchange and structure in birch leaves (Betula pendula) caused by low ozone concentrations. Trees 5: 5–13. , , ,
- 1992. Whole-plant growth and leaf formation in ozonated hybrid poplar (Populus × euramericana). Environmental Pollution 81: 207–212. , , ,
- 1995. Response mechanisms of conifers to air pollutants. In: SmithWK, HinckleyTM, eds. Ecophysiology of Coniferous Forests. London : Academic Press, 255–308. , , ,
- 1995. Einfluss der Nährstoffversorgung auf die Ozonempfindlichkeit der Birke (Betula pendula). Ph.D. thesis, Universitat Basel, Switzerland .
- 1983. Effects of SO2 and O3 on allocation of 14C-labeled photosynthate in Phaseolus vulgaris. Plant Physiology 73: 630–635. ,
- 1993. Effects of ozone on the photosynthetic apparatus and leaf proteins during leaf development in wheat. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 643–651. , ,
- 1993. Effects of nitrogen and phosphorous deficiencies on levels of carbohydrates, respiratory enzymes and metabolites in seedlings of tobacco and their responses to exogenous sucrose. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 1047–1057. ,
- 1995. Nitrogen supply as a limiting factor determining the sensetivity of Populus tremuloides Michx. to ozone stress. New Phytologist 130: 437–446. , ,
- 1995. The influence of ozone and nutrition on δ13C in Betula pendula. Oecologia 103: 397–406. , , , , ,
- 1992. Glucose feeding results in coordinated changes of chlorophyll content, ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase-oxygenase activity and photosynthetic potential in photoautotrophic suspension cultured cells of Chenopodium rubrum. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 343–350. , ,
- 1995. The contribution of ozone to forest decline. Physiologia Plantarum 94: 371–378. ,
- 1990. Fructose-2,6-bisphosphate as a regulatory molecule in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 41: 153–185.
- 1991. Rising CO2 levels and their potential significance for carbon flow in photosynthetic cells. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 741–762.
- 1989. The sink-source transition in leaves. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 119–138.
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. ,
- 1996. Effects of varied soil nitrogen supply on Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.). Plant and Soil 186: 361–369. , , , , , , ,
- 1990. Contents of ATP and of ADP in needles of Norway spruce in relation to their development, age, and to symptoms of forest decline. Trees 4: 68–74. , , ,
- 1993. CO2-fixation and assimilate distribution in spruce under long-term fumigation with ozone. Forstwissenschaftliches Centralblatt 112: 50–56. ,
- 1995. Allocation of mass in trees subject to nitrogen and magnesium limitation. Tree Physiology 15: 339–344. ,
- 1994. Influence of different nutrient regimes on the regulation of carbon metabolism in Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) seedlings. New Phytologist 128: 323–330. , , , , , ,