The influence of air pollution on the concentration of mineral elements, on the spectral reflectance response and on the production of stress–ethylene in the lichen Ramalina duriaei
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 4, pages 587–597, December 1997
How to Cite
GARTY, J., KLOOG, N., WOLFSON, R., COHEN, Y., KARNIELI, A. and AVNI, A. (1997), The influence of air pollution on the concentration of mineral elements, on the spectral reflectance response and on the production of stress–ethylene in the lichen Ramalina duriaei. New Phytologist, 137: 587–597. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00866.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 10 June 1996; accepted 22 July 1997)
- 1984. Estimating absorbed photosynthetic radiation and leaf area index from spectral reflectance in wheat. Agronomy Journal 76: 300–306. , , ,
- 1991. Lichen mineral studies – currently clarified or confused Symbiosis 11: 207–223.
- 1985. Minerals and lichens: acquisition, localisation and effect. In: VicenteC, BrownDH, LegazME, eds. Surface Physiology of Lichens. Madrid : Editorial de la Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 127–149. ,
- 1979. The effect of desiccation on cation location in lichens. Annals of Botany 44: 265–277. ,
- 1991. Factors affecting spectral responses from lichens. Proceedings of the Eighth Thematic Conference on Geologic Remote Sensing, vol. 3, Ann Arbor , MI , USA : Environmental Research Institute of Michigan, 1125–1137. , ,
- 1980. Multispectral remote sensing of vegetation amount. Progress in Physical Geography 4: 315–341.
- 1986. Endogenous auxin and ethylene in the lichen Ramalina duriaei. Plant Physiology 82: 1122–1125. , , ,
- 1992. Lichens and heavy metals in the environment. In: VernetJ-P, ed. Impact of Heavy Metals on the Environment, vol 2. Amsterdam : Elsevier, 55–131.
- 1993. Lichens as biomonitors for heavy metal pollution. In: MarkertB, ed. Plants as Biomonitors. Indicators for Heavy Metals in the Terrestrial Environment. Weinheim : VCH, 193–263.
- 1982. Heavy metals in the lichen Ramalina duriaei transplanted in biomonitoring stations. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 17: 175–183. ,
- 1988. Heavy metals in the lichen Ramalina duriaei transplanted at biomonitoring stations in the region of a coal-fired power plant in Israel after 3 years of operation. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 38: 311–323. ,
- 1992. Effect of low pH, heavy metals and anions on chlorophyll degradation in the lichen Ramalina duriaei (De Not.) Bagl. Environmental and Experimental Botany 32: 229–241. , ,
- 1993. Temporal and spatial fluctuations of ethylene production and concentrations of sulfur, sodium, chlorine and iron on/in the thallus cortex in the lichen Ramalina duriaei (De Not.) Bagl. Environmental and Experimental Botany 33: 553–563. , , ,
- 1995a. The impact of heavy metals on lichens. In: WilkenRD, FörstnerU, KnöchelJ, eds. Heavy metals in the Environment, vol. 1. International Conference. Hamburg, September 1995. Edinburgh : CEP Consultants, 152–155. , , ,
- 1988. Correlation between the concentration of adenosine tri-phosphate, chlorophyll degradation and the amounts of airborne heavy metals and sulfur in a transplanted lichen. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 17: 601–611. , , ,
- 1995b. Differential responses of certain lichen species to sulfur-containing solutions under acidic conditions as expressed by the production of stress-ethylene. Environmental Research 69: 132–143. , ,
- 1985. Correlation between chlorophyll degradation and the amount of some elements in the lichen Ramalina duriaei (De Not.) Jatta. Environmental and Experimental Botany 25: 67–74. , ,
- 1988. Effect of simulated acid rain on nitrogenase activity in the lichen Peltigera under field and laboratory conditions. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 38: 379–385.
- 1992. Effects of simulated nitrogen rich and acid rain on the nitrogen-fixing lichen Peltigera aphtosa (L.) Willd. New Phytologist 120: 99–103. ,
- 1980. Assessing soybean leaf area and leaf biomass with spectral data. Photogrametric Engineering and Remote Sensing 26: 651–656. , ,
- 1973. The effect of air pollutants other than hydrogen fluorides and sulphur dioxide on lichens. In: FerryBW, BaddeleyMS, HawksworthDL, eds. Air Pollution and Lichens. London : Athlone Press, 143–175.
- 1986. Introductory digital image processing. A remote sensing perspective. Englewood Cliffs , New Jersey , USA : Prentice-Hall. .
- 1969. Derivation of leaf area index from quality of light on the forest floor. Ecology 50: 663–666.
- 1996. The effect of microphytes on the spectral reflectance of vegetation in semi-arid regions. Remote Sensing of Environment 57: 88–96. , , , , , ,
- 1991. Ethylene production by the lichen Ramalina duriaei. Annals of Botany 68: 317–319. ,
- 1993. The influence of light on the ethylene production by lichens. In: FeigeBG, LumbschHT, eds. Beiträge zur Lichenologie-Festschrift S. Huneck, vol. 53. Berlin and Stuttgart : Bibliotheca Lichenologica, Cramer, 185–190.
- 1996. Do phytohormones influence lichen growth in culture? In: Progress and Problems in Lichenology in the Nineties. International Conference. Salzburg, September 1996, 58.
- 1994. Influence of exogenous factors on the ethylene production by lichens. I. Influence of water content and water status conditions on ethylene production. Symbiosis 16: 187–201. ,
- 1992. Ethylene production by lichens. Lichenologist 24: 73–80. ,
- 1990. High temporal frequency remote sensing of primary production using NOAA AHVRR. In: StevenMD, ClarkJA, eds. Application of Remote Sensing in Agriculture. London : Butterworths, 169–183.
- 1988. Bryophytes and lichens as monitors of metal deposition. In: NashIIITH, WirthV, eds. Lichens, Bryophytes and Air Quality. Berlin-Stuttgart : Cramer, Bibliotheca Lichenologica 30, 231–267.
- 1987. Ethylene - a possible factor in the response of plants to air pollution and acid precipitation. In: HutchinsonTC, MeemaKM, eds. Effects of Atmospheric Pollutants on Forests, Wetlands and Agricultural Ecosystems. Berlin and Heidelberg : NATO ASI Series, 241–245.
- 1985. Effects of lichens on the reflectance spectra of granitic rock surfaces. Remote Sensing of Environment 18: 105–112. , ,
- 1996. Properties of ethylene production by lichens. In: Progress and Problems in Lichenology in the Nineties. International Conference. Salzburg, September 1996, 39.
- 1994. Involvement of specific substances in ethylene production by lichens. Abstracts of the Fifth International Mycological Congress, August 14–21, 1994. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. ,
- 1987. Effects of a simulated acid rain episode on photosynthesis and recovery in the caribou-forage lichens, Cladina stellaris (Opiz.) Brodo and Cladina rangiferina (L.) Wigg. New Phytologist 107: 567–575. ,
- 1989. Contrasting responses of lichens and Vacciniuum angustifolium to long-term acidification of a boreal forest ecosystem. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 579–588. , ,
- 1985. Canopy reflectance, photosynthesis and transpiration. International Journal of Remote Sensing 6: 1335–1372.
- 1986a. Effects of acidic rain and ozone on nitrogen fixation and photosynthesis in the lichen Lobaria pulmonaria (L.) Hoffm. Environmental and Experimental Botany 26: 59–64. ,
- 1986b. Effects of simulated acidic rain on one species each of Pseudoparmelia, Usnea, and Umbilicaria. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 27: 315–322. ,
- 1996. Comparative studies on Xanthoria parietina, a pollution-resistant lichen, and Ramalina duriaei, a sensitive species. I. Effect of air pollution on physiological processes. Lichenologist 28: 355–365. , , , ,
- 1970. A simple turbidimetric method determining total sulfur in plant materials. Agronomy Journal 62: 805–807. ,
- 1979. Red and photographic infra-red linear combinations for monitoring vegetation. Remote Sensing of Environment 8: 127–150.