Seed/cotyledon size and nutrient content play a major role in early performance of species on nutrient-poor soils
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 137, Issue 4, pages 665–672, December 1997
How to Cite
MILBERG, P. and LAMONT, B. B. (1997), Seed/cotyledon size and nutrient content play a major role in early performance of species on nutrient-poor soils. New Phytologist, 137: 665–672. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00870.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received 10 December 1996; accepted 24 July 1997)
- 1976a. The role of the cotyledons in four Acer species and in Fagus sylvatica during early seedling development. New Phytologist 76: 31–39. , ,
- 1976b. Cotyledon photosynthesis during seedling development in Acer. New Phytologist 76: 41–52. , ,
- 1996. Growth of Quercus robur seedlings after experimental grazing and cotyledon removal. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 45: 85–94. ,
- Anonymous. 1977. Technicon industrial method 334–74W/B. Technicon Industrial Systems, Tarrytown , N. Y. , USA .
- 1993. Seedlings from large seeds tolerate defoliation better: a test using phylogenetically independent contrasts. Ecology 74: 1092–1100. ,
- 1989. Reproductive traits and accumulation of nitrogen and phosphorus during development of fruits of Protea compacta R. Br. (calcifuge) and Protea obtusifolia Buck. ex. Meisn. (calcicole). New Phytologist 112: 109–115. , , ,
- 1983. Relationships between seed weight, ash content and seedling growth in twenty-four species of Compositae. New Phytologist 95: 697–706.
- 1986. The allocation of minerals to seeds in Senecio vulgaris plants subjected to nutrient shortage. Journal of Ecology 74: 385–392.
- 1995. Seed size of woody plants in relation to disturbance, dispersal, and soil type in wet neotropical forests. Ecology 76: 2544–2561. ,
- 1986. Mineral nutrient composition of leaves and fruits of selected species of Grevillea from south-western Australia, with special reference to Grevillea leucopteris Meissn. Australian Journal of Botany 34: 155–164.
- 1992. Seedling growth in relation to seed size among species of arid Australia. Journal of Ecology 80: 407–416. ,
- 1982. Nutrient reserves in seeds of selected proteaceous species from south-western Australia. Australian Journal of Botany 30: 231–249. , ,
- 1994. Mineral nutrient relations in Mediterranean regions of California, Chile and Australia. In: Kalin ArroyoMT, ZedlerPH, FoxMD, eds. Ecology and Biogeography of Mediterranean Ecosystems in Chile, California, and Australia. New York : Springer-Verlag, 211–235.
- 1995. A test for lottery recruitment among four Banksia species based on their demography and biological attributes. Oecologia 101: 299–308. ,
- 1989. Mineral nutrient allocation in seeds and shoots of twelve Chionochloa species in relation to soil fertility. Journal of Ecology 77: 704–716. ,
- 1994. The role of seed size in seedling establishment in dry soil conditions-experimental evidence from semi-arid species. Journal of Ecology 82: 249–258. ,
- 1993. Physiological basis and ecological significance of the seed size and relative growth rate relationship in Mediterranean annuals. Functional Ecology 7: 591–599. ,
- 1975. Changes in mineral contents of cotyledons and young seedlings of woody angiosperms. Canadian Journal of Botany 53: 2026–2031. ,
- 1976. Importance of photo-synthetic cotyledons for early growth of woody angiosperms. Physiologia Plantarum 37: 336–340. ,
- 1995. Seed mass and light requirements for regeneration in southeast Asian rain forest. Canadian Journal of Botany 73: 817–826. ,
- 1996. Germination characteristics of seeds differing in mass. Seed Science Research 6: 191–197. , , ,
- 1984. Changes in the phosphorus composition of Hakea sericea (Proteaceae) during germination under low phosphorus conditions. New Phytologist 96: 239–247. ,
- 1982. Formulae for determination of chlorophyllous pigments extracted with N,N-dimethylformamide. Plant Physiology 62: 1376–1381.
- 1985. Carbon and phosphorus assimilation and deployment in Eucalyptus pilularis Smith seedlings with special reference to the role of the cotyledons. Australian Journal of Botany 33: 485–496. ,
- 1992. Influence of seed size and seedling ecological attributes on shade-tolerance of rain-forest tree species in northern Queensland. Journal of Ecology 82: 149–163. , , ,
- 1986. Seed nutrient reserves of Proteaceae with special reference to protein bodies and their inclusions. Annals of Botany 57: 747–770. , , ,
- 1996. Post-fire mortality and water relations of three congeneric shrub species under extreme water stress–a trade-off with fecundity Oecologia 107: 53–60. ,
- 1994. Growth and survival after cotyledon removal in Quercus robur seedlings grown in different natural soil types. Oikos 69: 65–70.
- 1990. Influence of seed size and quality on seedling development under low nutrient conditions in five Australian and South African members of the Proteaceae. Journal of Ecology 78: 1005–1020. , ,
- 1996. Comparative ecology of seed size and dispersal. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, Biological Sciences 351: 1309–1318. , ,
- 1990. Seed size and plant growth form as factors in dispersal spectra. Ecology 71: 1307–1315. , ,
- 1954. Determination of nitrogen in agricultural materials by the Nessler reagent. II. Micro-determinations in plant tissue and in soil extracts. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 5: 364–369. ,
- 1991. Effects of partial removal of seed reserves on some aspects of seedling ecology of seven dune species. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 1457–1462. ,