Production of extracellular matrices during development of infection structures by the downy mildew Peronospora parasitica
Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
Volume 149, Issue 1, pages 83–93, January 2001
How to Cite
Carzaniga, R., Bowyer, P. and O’Connell, R. J. (2001), Production of extracellular matrices during development of infection structures by the downy mildew Peronospora parasitica. New Phytologist, 149: 83–93. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00002.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
- Received: 23 February 2000Accepted: 7 August 2000
- 1967. Ultrastructure of fungi. Annual Review of Phytopathology 5: 343–374. .
- 1997. Lectin Histochemistry. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific. , & .
- 1981. Downy mildew of brassicas. In: SpencerDM, ed. The Downy Mildews. London, UK: Academic Press, 321–336. .
- 1970. An electron-microscope study of host penetration and early stages of haustorium formation of Peronospora parasitica (Fr.) Tul. on cabbage cotyledons. Annals of Botany 34: 189–204. .
- 1968. Development of sporangiophores of Peronospora parasitica (Pers. ex Fr.) Fr. Annals of Botany 32: 623–631. .
- 1992. Adhesion pad formation and the involvement of cutinase and esterases in the attachment of urediniospores to the host cuticle. Plant Cell 4: 1001–1111. , , , & .
- 1993. Characteristics of extracellular adhesions produced during Saprolegnia ferax secondary zoospore encystment and cystospore germination. Mycologia 85: 744–755. , & .
- 1997. Adhesion of spores and hyphae to plant surfaces. In: CarrollG, TudzynskiP, eds. The Mycota, Vol. V, Part A. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 11–25. & .
- 1990. Monoclonal antibodies to the adhesive cell coat secreted by Pythium aphanidermatum zoospores recognise 200 × 103 Mr glycoproteins stored within large peripheral vesicles. Journal of Cell Science 95: 199–206. , & .
- 1986. Isolation, physiochemical characterization, and carbohydrate-binding specificity of lectins. In: LienerIE, GoldsteinIJ, eds. The lectins: properties, functions, and applications in biology and medicine. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 33–131. & .
- 2000. Cyst germination proteins of the potato pathogen Phytophthora infestans share homology with human mucins. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 32–42. , & .
- 1988. Secretion of adhesive material during encystment of Phytophthora cinnamomi zoospores, characterized by immunogold labelling with monoclonal antibodies to components of peripheral vesicles. Journal of Cell Science 90: 225–235. & .
- 1997. Asexual sporulation in the Oomycetes. Advances in Botanical Research 24: 353–398. & .
- 1986. Freeze-substitution of fungi. In: AldrichHC, ToddWJ, eds. Ultrastructure techniques for microorganisms. New York, USA: Plenum, 183–212. .
- 1999. Spore surface glycoproteins of Colletotrichum lindemuthianum are recognized by a monoclonal antibody which inhibits adhesion to polystyrene. Microbiology 145: 1927–1936. , , , & .
- 1996. Resistance to downy mildew (Peronospora parasitica) in cole crops (Brassica oleracea). PhD thesis, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. .
- 1995. Sensitive staining of fungal extracellular matrices using colloidal gold. Mycological Research 99: 567–573. , & .
- 1990. Arabidiopsis is susceptible to infection by a downy mildew fungus. Plant Cell 2: 437–445. & .
- 1993. Characterization of cell surface carbohydrates on asexual spores of the water mold Saprolenia ferax. Protoplasma 175: 161–172. & .
- 1993. Infection structures of fungal plant pathogens – a cytological and physiological evaluation. New Phytologist 124: 193–213. & .
- 1993. The autogenic extracellular environment of Uromyces appendiculatus urediospore germlings. Mycologia 85: 392–400. , , & .
- 1997. CHS2, a chitin synthase gene from the oomycete Saprolegnia monoica. Microbiology 143: 2009–2020. , & .
- 1980. Survival of Colletotrichum graminicola: importance of the spore matrix. Phytopathology 70: 255–261. & .
- 1989. Use of antisera to localize callose, xylan and arabinogalactan in the cell-plate, primary and secondary walls of plant cells. Planta 178: 353–366. , & .
- 1994. Immunomagnetic isolation of viable intracellular hyphae of Colletotrichum lindemuthianum (Sacc. & Magn.) Briosi & Cav. from infected bean leaves using a monoclonal antibody. New Phytologist 127: 223–232. , , & .
- 1992. Monoclonal antibodies which show restricted binding to four Colletotrichum species: C. lindemuthianum, C. malvarum, C. orbiculare, C. trifolii. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 40: 111–126. , , & .
- 1967. Junctions between epidermal cells as sites of appressorium formation by plant pathogenic fungi. Plant Pathology 16: 117–118. , & .
- 1991. General preparation and staining of thin sections. In: HallJL, HawesC, eds. Electron microscopy of plant cells. London, UK: Academic Press, 1–66. & .
- 1992. Fungal cell wall: structure, synthesis and assembly. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. .
- 1990. Cytochemical detection of polysaccharides in zoospores of Aphanomyces euteiches. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 1379–1388. & .
- 1992. Degradation of extracellular β-(1,3) (1,6)-D-glucan by Botrytis cinerea. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 58: 3347–3354. , , & .
- 1980. Distribution of mycolaminarans and cell wall β-glucans in the life cycle of Phytophthora. Experimental Mycology 4: 269–280. & .