Polyamine metabolism is upregulated in response to tobacco mosaic virus in hypersensitive, but not in susceptible, tobacco
Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
Volume 149, Issue 2, pages 301–309, February 2001
How to Cite
Marini, F., Betti, L., Scaramagli, S., Biondi, S. and Torrigiani, P. (2001), Polyamine metabolism is upregulated in response to tobacco mosaic virus in hypersensitive, but not in susceptible, tobacco. New Phytologist, 149: 301–309. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00017.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
- Received: 2 May 2000Accepted: 19 September 2000
- 1997. Two distinct sources of elicited reactive oxygen species in tobacco epidermal cells. Plant Cell 9: 1559–1572. & .
- 1993. Involvement of polyamines, diamine oxidase and peroxidase in resistance of chick-pea to Ascochyta rabiei. Journal of Plant Physiology 142: 704–709. , , , & .
- 1998. Long-distance translocation of polyamines in phloem and xylem of Ricinus communis L. plants. Planta 204: 520–527. , , , & .
- 1992. Polyamines: a new class of growth substances. In: KarssenCM, Van LoonLC, VreugdenhilD, eds. Progress in plant growth regulation. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 264–275. & .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principles of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1989. Effects of the suicide inhibitors of arginine and ornithine decarboxylase activities on organogenesis, growth, free polyamine and hydroxycinnamoyl putrescine levels in leaf explants of Nicotiana Xanthi n.c. cultivated in vitro on a medium producing callus formation. Plant Physiology 89: 104–110. , , & .
- 1998. A guide to the polyamines. New York, USA: Oxford University Press. .
- 1981. The synthesis of polyamines from methionine in intact and disrupted leaf protoplasts of virus-infected Chinese cabbage. Plant Physiology 68: 1150–1155. , & .
- 1991. Polyamine catabolism. In: SlocumRD, FloresHE, eds. The physiology of polyamines in plants. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 41–56. & .
- 1989. Specificity and binding in polyamine/nucleic acid interactions. In: BachrachU, HeimerYM, eds. The physiology of polyamines, vol. I. Boca Raton, FL, USA, CRC Press, 57–76. & .
- 1990. Polyamines and plant stress. In: AlscherRG, CummingJR, eds. Stress response in plants: adaptation and acclimatation mechanisms. New York, USA: Wiley & Lyss, 217–239. .
- 1993. Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae HarpinPSS: a protein that is secreted via the Hrp pathway and elicits the hypersensitive response in plants. Cell 73: 1255–1266. , & .
- 1990. Molecular genetics of polyamine synthesis in eukaryotic cells. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 15: 153–158. & .
- 1986. Regulation of polyamine biosynthesis in tobacco. Effects of inhibitors and endogenous polyamines on arginine decarboxylase, ornithine decarboxylase and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 261: 1293–1298. , & .
- 1997. Rapid induction of apoptosis by deregulated uptake of polyamine analogues. Biochemical Journal 328: 307–316. & .
- 1997. Characterization and expression of two members of the S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase gene family in carnation flower. Plant Molecular Biology 34: 371–382. , & .
- 1985. The occurrence and possible function of hydroxycinnamoyl acid amides in plants. Plant Growth Regulation 3: 381–399. .
- 1999. Polyamines and pectins. II. Modulation of pectic-signal transduction. Planta 208: 247–256. & .
- 1996. Molecular cloning and functional identification of a plant ornithine decarboxylase cDNA. Biochemical Journal 314: 241–248. , , & .
- 1997. Pathogen-induced programmed cell death in tobacco. Journal of Cell Science 110: 1333–1344. , & .
- 1998. Developmental expression and biochemical analysis of the Arabidopsis atao1 gene encoding an H2O2-generating diamine oxidase. Plant Journal 13: 781–791. & .
- 1994. Phenylalanine ammonia-lyase in tobacco. Molecular cloning and gene expression during the hypersensitive reaction to tobacco mosaic virus and the response to a fungal elicitor. Plant Physiology 106: 877–886. , , & .
- 1992. Peroxidase-generated hydrogen peroxide as a source of antifungal activity in vitro and on tobacco leaf discs. Phytopathology 82: 696–699. & .
- 1995. Induction of apoptosis by excessive polyamine accumulation in ornithine decarboxylase-overproducing L 1210 cells. Biochemical Journal 311: 723–727. , & .
- 1998. Short-term polyamine response in TMV-inoculated hypersensitive and susceptible tobacco plants. New Phytologist 139: 549–553. , , , , , & .
- 1994. Putrescine, spermidine and spermine as intrinsic components of tobacco mosaic virus particles. Phytopathologia Mediterranea 133: 217–222. , , , , , & .
- 1986. Exogenous polyamines alter membrane fluidity in bean leaves – a basis for potential misinterpretation of their true physiological role. Planta 167: 395–401. , & .
- 1989. Molecular Cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , & .
- 1991. Time courses of diamine oxidase and peroxidase activities, and polyamine changes after mechanical injury of chick-pea seedlings. Journal of Plant Physiology 137: 571–575. , & .
- 1999a. Methylglyoxal (bis-guanylhydrazone) inhibition of organogenesis is not due to SAMDC inhibition/polyamine depletion in tobacco thin layers. Physiologia Plantarum 107: 353–360. , & .
- 1999b. Polyamines and flowering: spermidine biosynthesis in the different whorls of developing flowers of Nicotiana tabacum L. Plant Biosystems 133: 229–237. , , , & .
- 2000. Organogenesis from Solanum melongena L. eggplant cotyledon explants is associated with hormone-modulated enhancement of polyamine biosynthesis and conjugation. Protoplasma 211: 51–63. , , & .
- 1991. Occurrence of diamine oxidase activity in protoplasts and isolated mitochondria of Helianthus tuberosus tuber. Journal of Plant Physiology 138: 752–756. , & .
- 1998. Characterization of spermidine binding to solubilized plasma membrane proteins from zucchini hypocotyls. Plant Physiology 117: 971–977. , , , & .
- 1992. Expression and sequence analysis of cDNAs induced during the early stages of tuberisation in different organs of the potato plant (S. tuberosum L.). Plant Molecular Biology 20: 641–651. , , , , , & .
- 1987. Free and conjugated polyamines during de novo floral and vegetative bud formation im thin cell layers of tobacco. Physiologia Plantarum 70: 453–460. , , , , & .
- 1995. Improved method for polyamine determination in TMV, a rod-shaped virus. Journal of Virological Methods 53: 157–163. , , , , & .
- 1997. Polyamine synthesis and accumulation in the hypersensitive response to TMV in Nicotiana tabacum. New Phytologist 135: 467–473. , , , , & .
- 1997. Control of plant disease by perturbation of fungal polyamine metabolism. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 698–695. & .
- 1990. Diamine oxidation and alkaloid production in transformed root cultures of Nicotiana tabacum. Phytochemistry 29: 1455–1457. & .
- 1994. The product of the Tobacco Mosaic Virus resistance gene N: similarity to Toll and the Interleukin-1 receptor. Cell 78: 1101–1115. , , , , & .
- 1997. Processing of mammalian and plant S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase proenzymes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 28342–28348. , , & .
- 1998. Spermine is a salicylate-independent endogenous inducer for both tobacco acidic pathogenesis-related proteins and resistance against tobacco mosaic virus infection. Plant Physiology 118: 1213–1222. , , & .
- 1997. Signal perception and transduction in plant defense responses. Genes and Development 11: 1621–1639. , & .