Altered patterns of tubulin polymerization in dividing leaf cells of Chlorophyton comosum after a hyperosmotic treatment
Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
Volume 149, Issue 2, pages 193–207, February 2001
How to Cite
Komis, G., Apostolakos and Galatis, B. (2001), Altered patterns of tubulin polymerization in dividing leaf cells of Chlorophyton comosum after a hyperosmotic treatment. New Phytologist, 149: 193–207. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00033.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
- Received: 6 July 2000Accepted: 14 September 2000
- 1998. Microtubules and gametophyte morphogenesis in the liverwort Marchantia paleacea Bert. In: BatesJW, AshtonSW, DuckettJG, eds. Bryology for the Twenty-First Century. Leeds, UK: Maney & Son Ltd, 205–221. & .
- 1990. Tubulin conformation in microtubule-free cells of Vigna sinensis. An immunofluorescent and electron microscopy study. Protoplasma 154: 132–143. , , & .
- 1991. Microtubules in mesophyll cells of nonacclimated and cold-acclimated spinach: visualization and responses to freezing, low temperature and dehydration. Plant Physiology 97: 175–181. & .
- 1969. Microtubular crystals in mammalian cells. Journal of Cell Biology 40: 95–107. & .
- 2000. Nuclear ã-tubulin during acentriolar plant mitosis. Plant Cell 12: 433–442. , , , , , , & .
- 1995. Growth and microtubule orientation of Zea mays roots subjected to osmotic stress. International Journal of Plant Science 156: 774–783. & .
- 2000. Regulation of cell division and the cytoskeleton by mitogen-activated protein kinases in higher plants. In: HirtH, ed. MAP Kinases in Plant Signal Transduction. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 95–117. , , & .
- 1999. Specificity and integration of responses: Ca2+ as a signal in polarity and osmotic regulation. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1001–1011. , , & .
- 1995. Calcium regulation in plant cells and its role in signalling. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 46: 95–122. .
- 1998. Hypo-osmotic shock of tobacco cells stimulates Ca2+ fluxes deriving first from external and then internal Ca2+ stores. Journal of Biological Chemistry 273: 27286–27291. , & .
- 1998. Cellular control lies in the balance of forces. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 10: 232–239. , & .
- 1990. Reinstatement of microtubule arrays from cortical nucleating sites in stomatal complexes of Lolium rigidum following depolymerization by oryzalin and high pressure. Plant Cell Physiology 31: 903–915. & .
- 1993. Pressure induced reorientation of cortical microtubules in epidermal cells of Lolium rigidum leaves. Plant Cell Physiology 34: 1003–1008. & .
- 1991. Calcium/calmodulin affects microtubule stability in lysed protoplasts. Journal of Cell Science 100: 311–317. .
- 1994. Microtubules in plant morphogenesis: role of the cortical array. Annual Review of Cell Biology 10: 153–180. .
- 1997. Microtubule polymerization dynamics. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 13: 83–117. & .
- 1993. Calcium levels affect the ability to immunolocalize calmodulin to cortical microtubules. Plant Physiology 103: 543–551. & .
- 1996. Evidence for opposing effects of calmodulin on cortical microtubules. Plant Physiology 112: 1979–1087. , & .
- 1997. Plant cell morphogenesis: plasma membrane interactions with the cytoskeleton and cell wall. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 13: 697–743. & .
- 2000. Aluminium effects on microtubule organization in dividing root-tip cells of Triticum turgidum. I. Mitotic cells. New Phytologist 145: 211–224. , & .
- 1976. Associations between microbodies and a system of cytoplasmic tubules in oil-body cells of Marchantia. Planta 131: 217–222. & .
- 2000. MAP kinases in plant signal transduction. Results and Problems in Cell Differentiation 27: 1–9. .
- 1991. Electrical and mechanical fields orient cortical microtubules in higher plant tissues. Cell Biology International Reports 15: 551–560. & .
- 1997. Tensegrity: the architectural basis of cellular mechanotransduction. Annual Review of Physiology 59: 575–599. .
- 1998. Cellular basis of mechanotransduction. Biological Bulletin 194: 323–327. .
- 1992. The junction between the plasma membrane and the cell wall in fern protonemal cells, as visualized after plasmolysis, and its dependence on arrays of cortical microtubules. Protoplasma 170: 186–190. , & .
- 1995. Colchicine induced paracrystals in root cells of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Annals of Botany 76: 23–30. , , , & .
- 1998. A history of stress alters drought calcium signalling pathways in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 16: 681–687. , & .
- 1991. Transgenic plant aequorin reports the effects of touch and cold-shock and elicitors on cytoplasmic calcium. Nature 352: 524–526. , , & .
- 1996. Cold calcium signaling in Arabidopsis involves two cellular pools and a change in calcium signature after acclimation. Plant Cell 8: 489–503. , & .
- 1997. Calcium signalling in Arabidopsis thaliana responding to drought and salinity. Plant Journal 12: 1067–1078. , & .
- 1994. Cytoskeletal control of cell polarity in a plant zygote. Developmental Biology 165: 361–371. .
- 1997. Organization of cytoskeleton controls the changes in cytosolic calcium of cold shocked Nicotiana plumbaginifolia protoplasts. Cell Calcium 22: 413–420. , , , , , & .
- 1999. Hyperosmotic stress induces rapid synthesis of phosphatidyl-d-inositol 3,5-biphosphate in plant cells. Planta 208: 294–298. , , , & .
- 1997. Environmental stress response in plants: the role of mitogen-activated protein kinases. Trends in Biotechnology 15: 15–19. , & .
- 1987. Evidence for microtubule nucleation at plasma membrane-associated sites in Drosophila. Journal of Cell Science 88: 95–107. & .
- 1989. Induction of random microtubule poly merization in cold and drug-treated PtK1 cells following hyperosmotic shock treatment. European Journal of Cell Biology 49: 149–153. & .
- 1985. Immunofluorescence analysis of sucrose-induced changes in spindle morphology. European Journal of Cell Biology 39: 333–340. , & .
- 1997. How calcium causes microtubule depolymerization. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 36: 125–135. , & .
- 1996. The Pisum sativum MAP kinase homologue (PSMAPK) rescues the Saccharomyces cerevisiae HOG1 deletion mutant under conditions of high osmotic stress. Plant Molecular Biology 31: 355–363. , & .
- 1998. Cytoskeleton: microtubules. Progress in Botany 59: 374–395. .
- 1985. Ethylene-induced microtubule reorientations: mediation by helical arrays. Planta 164: 439–447. , & .
- 1986. Naturally occuring tubulin-containing paracrystals in Allogromia: immunocytochemical identification and functional significance. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 6: 363–375. , , & .
- 1994. Plant hormone-induced changes in the orientation of cortical microtubules: alterations in the cross-linking between microtubules and the plasma membrane. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 45: 527–544. .
- 2000. Cell wall and cytoskeleton reorganization as the response to hyperosmotic shock in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Archives of Microbiology 173: 245–252. , , & .
- 1988. Effect of metabolic inhibitors on sucrose-induced metaphase spindle elongation and spindle recovery. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 11: 291–302. .
- 1984. Sucrose-induced spindle elongation in mitotic PtK-1 cells. European Journal of Cell Biology 35: 62–69. , & .
- 1976. The effects of mitotic inhibitors on the structure of vinblastine-induced tubulin paracrystals from sea-urchin eggs. Journal of Cell Science 20: 91–100. .
- 1997. Hypoosmotic shock induces increases in cytosolic Ca2+ in tobacco suspension-culture cells. Plant Physiology 113: 587–594. , , , & .
- 1996. Spatial organization of calcium signalling involced in cell Volume control in the Fucus rhizoid. Plant Cell 8: 2015–2031. , , , & .
- 1995. Cytoplasmic hydration triggers a transient increase in cytoplasmic Ca2+ concentration in Nitella flexilis. Plant Cell Physiology 36: 335–340. , & .
- 1986. Centrosomal microtubule-organizing centers and a switch in the control of protofilament number for cell-surface associated microtubules during Drosophila wing morphogenesis. European Journal of Cell Biology 41: 279–289. , , , , & .
- 1990. Structural diversity and dynamics of microtubules and polymorphic tubulin assemblies. Electron Microscopy Reviews 3: 355–395. , & .
- 1999. A transmembrane hybrid-type histidine kinase in Arabidopsis functions as an osmosensor. Plant Cell 11: 1743–1754. , , , , , & .
- 1997. Tubulin assembly in the presence of calcium ions and taxol: Microtubule bundling and formation of macrotubule-ring complexes. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 36: 76–83. , & .
- 1998. Microtubule-organizing centers and nucleating sites in land plants. International Review of Cytology 181: 75–149. & .
- 1996. In vivo microtubule dynamics during experimentally induced conversions between tubulin assembly states in Allogromia laticollaris. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 34: 81–94. & .
- 1991. Orientation of cortical microtubules in interphase plant cells. International Review of Cytology 129: 135–206. .
- 1996. Plant cell growth responds to external forces and the response requires intact microtubules. Plant Physiology 110: 425–430. , , & .
- 2000. Study of mitosis in root-tip cells of Triticum turgidum treated with the DNA-intercalating agent ethidium bromide. Protoplasma 211: 151–164. , & .
- 1994. Mechanosensory microtubule reorientation in the epidermis of maize coleoptiles subjected to bending stress. Protoplasma 182: 96–101. & .
- 1998. Calmodulin and calmodulin-binding proteins in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 697–725. .