Secondary metabolites and nutrient concentrations in silver birch seedlings under five levels of daily UV-B exposure and two relative nutrient addition rates
Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2002
Volume 150, Issue 1, pages 121–131, April 2001
How to Cite
De La Rosa, T. M., Julkunen-Tiitto, R., Lehto, T. and Aphalo, P. J. (2001), Secondary metabolites and nutrient concentrations in silver birch seedlings under five levels of daily UV-B exposure and two relative nutrient addition rates. New Phytologist, 150: 121–131. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00079.x
- Issue online: 1 AUG 2002
- Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2002
- Received: 24 July 2000Accepted: 6 December 2000
- 1998. Effects of excess of UV-B irradiation on the antioxidant defence mechanisms in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) seedlings. Journal of Plant Physiology 153: 146–153. , , , , .
- 1989. Computer programs for estimating ultraviolet radiation in daylight. In: DiffeyBL, ed. Radiation measurements in photobiology. London, UK: Academic Press, 161–189. .
- 1998. Ultraviolet radiation as a stress factor and the role of protective pigments. In: LumsdenPJ, ed. Plants and UV-B. Responses to environmental change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 157–170. , , , .
- 1993. Effects of ultraviolet-B radiation on terrestrial plants. In: YoungAR, BjörnLO, MoanJ, NultschW, eds. Environmental UV photobiology. New York, USA: Plenum Press, 427–471. , .
- 1983. Carbon/nutrient balance of boreal plants in relation to vertebrate herbivory. Oikos 40: 357–368. , , .
- 1987. Response of winter chemical defense in Alaska paper birch and green alder to manipulation of plant carbon/nutrient balance. Oecologia 72: 510–514. , , , .
- 1983. A modulated lamp system for solar UV-B (280–320 nm) supplementation studies in the field. Photochemistry and Photobiology 37: 479–485. , , , .
- 1985. Resource availability and plant antiherbivore defense. Science 230: 895–899. , , .
- 1995. Stress-induced phenylpropanoid metabolism. The Plant Cell 7: 1085–1097. , .
- Finnish Meteorological Institute. 1993. Measurements of solar radiation 1981–90. Meteorological Yearbook of Finland, 81–91. Part 4, 1.
- 1998. Dose responses of two pea lines to ultraviolet-B radiation (280–315 nm). Physiologia Plantarum 104: 373–378.DOI: 10.1034/j.1399-3054.1998.1040312.x , , .
- 1989. Phenolic biosynthesis, leaf damage, and insect herbivory in birch (Betula pendula) Journal of Chemical Ecology 15: 275–283. , .
- 1998. Nitrogen status affects UV-B sensitivity of cucumber. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 79–86. , .
- 1996. R: a language for data analysis and graphics. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 5: 299–314. , .
- 1970. A definition of optimum nutrient requirements in birch seedlings. I. Physiologia Plantarum 23: 1127–1138. .
- 1992. Theories and methods on plant nutrition and growth. Physiologia Plantarum 84: 177–184.DOI: 10.1034/j.1399-3054.1992.840126.x , .
- 1994. Data base for birch plants at steady-state. Sveriges Lantbruksuniversitet Rapporter 75: 1–30. , , .
- 1998. Higher plants and UV-B radiation: balancing damage, repair and acclimation. Trends in Plant Science 3: 131–135.DOI: 10.1016/s1360-1385(98)01215-1 , , .
- 1998. UV-B perception and signal transduction. In: LumsdenPJ, ed. Plants and UV-B. Responses to environmental change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 135–156. , , .
- 1995. Increased UV exposure in Finland in 1993. Photochemistry and Photobiology 62 (1): 101–107. , , , .
- 1985. Phenolics constituents in the leaves of northern willows: Methods for the analysis of certain phenolics. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 33: 213–217. .
- 1996. Chemical diversity of several Betulaceae species: comparison of phenolics and terpenoids in northern birch stems. Trees 11: 16–22.DOI: 10.1007/s004680050053 , , , , , .
- 1999. Trade-offs in secondary metabolism: effects of fertilization, defoliation, and genotype on birch leaf phenolics. Ecology 80: 1970–1986. , , , , , .
- 1998. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of flavonoids in Betula pendula and Betula pubescens leaves. Journal of Chromatography A 793: 370–377.DOI: 10.1016/s0021-9673(97)00900-x , .
- 1994. Protection from UV-B-induced DNA damage by flavonoids. Plant Molecular Biology 26: 771–774. .
- 1995. Variations in chemical composition of birch foliage under air pollution stress and their consequences for Eriocania miners. Environmental Pollution 88: 41–50.DOI: 10.1016/0269-7491(95)91046-n , .
- 1980. On the suitability of the phenyl hypochlorite procedure for the determination of total nitrogen from plant and soil samples. Aquilo Seriologica Botanica 17: 11–17. , .
- 1998. Phytochemicals of deciduous trees in relation to environmental changes. PhD thesis, University of Joensuu. Finland: Publications of Sciences, 46. .
- 1997. The effect of UV-B radiation on UV-absorbing secondary metabolites in birch seedlings grown under simulated forest soil conditions. New Phytologist 137: 617–621.DOI: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.1997.00861.x , , , , .
- 1998. Changes in biologically active ultraviolet radiation reaching the Earth's surface. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology 46: 5–19.DOI: 10.1016/s1011-1344(98)00182-1 , , , .
- 1997. Outdoor supplementation systems for studies of the effects of increased UV-B radiation. Plant Ecology 128: 78–92. .
- 1985. Effects of ultraviolet-B irradiance on soybean. VII. Biomass and concentration and uptake of nutrients at varying P supply. Journal of Plant Nutrition 8: 177–192. , .
- 1999. Effects of elevated ultraviolet radiation on Quercus robur and its insect and ectomycorrhizal associates. Global Change Biology 5: 881–890. , , .
- 1979. Birch leaves as a resource for herbivores. Damage-induced increase in leaf phenols with trypsin- inhibiting effects. Reproductions of Kevo Subarctic Research Station 15: 37–40. , , .
- 2000. Mixed-effects models in S and S-Plus. New York, USA. Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1998. Effects of ultraviolet-B radiation on the growth, morphology, germination and secondary compounds of the silver (Betula pendula Roth.) and white (Betula pubescens Ehrh.) birches. MSc thesis. Finland. Faculty of Science, University of Joensuu. .
- 1993. Effects of shading and fertilisation on resistance of winter-dormant birch (Betula pendula) to voles and hares. Ecology 74: 30–38. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of UV-B radiation on plants from agro- and natural ecosystems. In: LumsdenPJ, ed. Plants and UV-B. Responses to environmental change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 213–232. , , .
- 1998. Increased polar stratospheric ozone losses and delayed eventual recovery owing to increasing greenhouse-gas concentrations. Nature 392: 589–592. , , .
- 1991. Chemical determinants of resistance in winter-dormant seedlings of European white birch (Betula pendula) to browsing by the mountain hare. Chemoecology 2: 49–54. , , , .
- 1984. Factors affecting levels of some phenolic compounds, digestibility, and nitrogen content of the mature leaves of Barteria fistulosa (Passifloraceae). Journal of Chemical Ecology 10: 387–401. , , .
- 1998. Growth and nitrogen utilization in seedlings of mountain birch (Betula pubescens ssp. tortuosa) as affected by ultraviolet radiation (UV-A and UV-B) under laboratory and outdoor conditions. Trees 12: 201–207. , , .
- 1997. Flavonoid-peroxidase reaction as a detoxification mechanism of plant cells against H2O2. Plant Physiology 115: 1405–1412. , , .