Nutritive value and the nitrogen dynamics of Trifolium subterraneum and Phalaris aquatica under warmer, high CO2 conditions
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 150, Issue 2, pages 385–395, May 2001
How to Cite
Lilley, J. M., Bolger, T. P., Peoples, M. B. and Gifford, R. M. (2001), Nutritive value and the nitrogen dynamics of Trifolium subterraneum and Phalaris aquatica under warmer, high CO2 conditions. New Phytologist, 150: 385–395. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00101.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 21 August 2000 Accepted: 20 December 2000
- 1995. Estimates of seasonal nitrogen fixation of annual subterranean clover-based pastures using the 15N natural abundance technique. Plant and Soil 175: 57 – 66. , , , .
- 1999. Responses of Lotus corniculatus to environmental change. 2. Effect of elevated CO2, temperature and drought on tissue digestion in relation to condensed tannin and carbohydrate accumulation. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 79: 1431 – 1440. , , .
- 1994. 15N isotope dilution methodology for evaluating the dynamics of biologically fixed-N in legume-non–legume associations. Biology and Fertility of Soils 17: 80 – 84. & .
- 2000a. Diet selection by sheep grazing Phalaris aquatica L. pastures of differing water-soluble carbohydrate content. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 51: 757 – 764. , , , .
- 2000b. Diurnal changes in the concentration of water-soluble carbohydrates in Phalaris aquatica L. pasture in spring, and the effect of short-term shading. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 51: 749 – 756. , , , , .
- 1999. Nitrogen fixation by subterranean clover (Trifolium subterraneum L.) growing in pure culture and in mixtures with varying densities of lucerne (Medicago sativa L.) or phalaris (Phalaris aquatica L.). Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 50: 1047 – 1058. , , , , .
- 1994. Digesta flow and rumen microbial protein production in ewes grazing perennial ryegrass. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 45: 1229 – 1245. & .
- 1997. Source-sink relations in Lolium perenne L. as reflected by carbohydrate concentrations in leaves and pseudo-stems during regrowth in a free air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE) experiment. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 945 – 952. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Chickpea increases soil-N fertility in cereal systems through nitrate sparing and N2 fixation. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 545 – 551. , , , , .
- 1968. Some effects of shading and of nitrogen fertiliser on the chemical composition of freeze-dried and oven-dried herbage, and on the nutritive value of oven-dried herbage fed to sheep. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 11: 286 – 302. , , .
- 1994. Long term effects of naturally elevated CO2 on Mediterranean grassland and forest trees. Oecologia 99: 343 – 351. & .
- 2001. Productivity of Trifolium subterraneum and Phalaris aquatica under warmer, high CO2 conditions. New Phytologist 150: 371 – 383. , , .
- 1994. Predicting response of photosynthesis and root fraction to elevated [CO2] (a): interactions among carbon, nitrogen, and growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 1195 – 1204. , , .
- 1997. Response of biomass and nitrogen yield of white clover to radiation and atmospheric CO2 concentration. Environmental and Experimental Botany 38: 131 – 143. , , , .
- 1978. The accuracy of the pepsin-cellulase technique for estimating the dry matter digestibility in vitro of grasses and legumes. Animal Feed Science and Technology 3: 277 – 287. & .
- 1980. A note on Onozuka.3S cellulase as a replacement for Onozuka SS (P1500) cellulase when estimating forage digestibility in vitro. Animal Feed Science and Technology 5: 247 – 250. & .
- 1997. Use of in situ15N-labelling to estimate the total below-ground nitrogen of pasture legumes in soil-plant systems. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 48: 295 – 304. , , .
- 1997. Effect of elevated CO2 on orchard grass and red clover grown in mixture at two levels of nitrogen or water supply. Environmental and Experimental Botany 38: 251 – 262. & .
- 1986. Effect of light and atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration on nitrogen fixation by herbage legumes. Plant and Soil 95: 399 – 409. .
- 1997. An Australian temperate pasture database. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 48: 453 – 465. , , , , , .
- 2001. The nitrogen dynamics of pastures: nitrogen fixation inputs, theimpactoflegumesonsoilnitrogenfertility and the contributions of fixed nitrogen to Australian pastures. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture. (In press.) & .
- 1998. The effect of pasture management on the contributions of fixed N to the N economy of ley-farming systems. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 49: 459 – 474. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Biological nitrogen fixation: An efficient source of nitrogen for sustainable agricultural production? Plant and Soil 174: 3 – 28. , , .
- 1997. Evaluation of the 15N natural abundance technique to measure N2 fixation in experimental plots and farmers fields. In: RupelaOP, JohansenC, HerridgeDF, eds. Extending nitrogen fixation research to farmers’ fields. Proceedings of the international workshop on managing nitrogen fixation in the cropping systems of Asia. Hyderabad, India: AP India, ICRISAT Asia Centre, 57 – 75. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The effect of elevated CO2 on the chemical composition and construction costs of leaves of 27 C3 species. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 472 – 482. , , , , , , , , , .
- SAS. 1989. SAS/STAT User’s Guide, Version 6, Vol. 2, 4th edn. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.
- 1997a. The response of perennial ryegrass/white clover swards to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations. 1. Effects on competition and species composition and interaction with N supply. New Phytologist 135: 67 – 79. , , .
- 1997b. The response of perennial ryegrass/white clover swards to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations: effects on yield and fodder quality. Grass and Forage Science 52: 232 – 241. , , .
- 1986. N2 fixation in field settings: estimates based on 15N abundance. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 699 – 756. & .
- 1989. Occurrence of fructans in the Gramineae (Poaceae). New Phytologist 111: 359 – 568. & .
- 1996. Long-term effects of CO2 enrichment and temperature increase on a temperate grass sward. 2. Plant nitrogen budgets and root fraction. Plant and Soil 182: 101 – 114. , , .
- Standing Committee on Agriculture. 1990. Feeding standards for Australian livestock. Ruminants. Standing Committee on Agriculture, Ruminants Subcommittee. Melbourne, Australia: CSIRO Publishing.
- 1980. Principles and procedures of statistics. A biometrical approach. New York, USA: McGraw-Hill Co. & .
- 1994. Potential precision of the 15N natural abundance method in field estimates of nitrogen fixation by crop and pasture legumes in South-west Australia. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 45: 119 – 132. , , , .
- 1995. Grassland nitrogen. Wallingford, UK: CAB International. .
- 1999. Modelling non-structural carbohydrates in forage grasses with weather data. Agricultural Systems 61: 1 – 16. , , .
- 1996. Stimulation of symbiotic N2 fixation in Trifolium repens L. under elevated atmospheric pCO2 in a grassland ecosystem. Plant Physiology 112: 575 – 583. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Elevated atmospheric CO2 does not affect per se the preference for symbiotic nitrogen as opposed to mineral nitrogen of Trifolium repens L. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 623 – 630. , , .
- 1997. Does nitrogen nutrition restrict the CO2 response of fertile grassland lacking legumes? Oecologia 112: 17 – 25. , , , , , , , , , .