Elevated CO2, drought and soil nitrogen effects on wheat grain quality
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 150, Issue 2, pages 295–303, May 2001
How to Cite
Kimball, B. A., Morris, C. F., Pinter, P. J., Wall, G. W., Hunsaker, D. J., Adamsen, F. J., LaMorte, R. L., Leavitt, S. W., Thompson, T. L., Matthias, A. D. and Brooks, T. J. (2001), Elevated CO2, drought and soil nitrogen effects on wheat grain quality. New Phytologist, 150: 295–303. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00107.x
- Issue online: 21 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 8 August 2000 Accepted: 16 November 2000
- 2000. Approved methods of the american association of cereal chemists, 10th edn. St. Paul, MN, USA: American Association of Cereal Chemists. .
- 1989. Growth and development of the beet armyworm on cotton grown in an enriched carbon dioxide atmosphere. Southwestern Entomologist 14: 255 – 260. & .
- 1988. Growth and development of the pink bollworm, Pectinophora gossypiella (Lepidopter: Gelechiidae), on bolls of cotton grown in enriched carbon dioxide atmospheres. Environmental Entomology 17: 452 – 455. , , .
- 1987. Factors affecting yield and quality in irrigated wheat. Journal of Agriculture Science, Camb 109: 19 – 26. & .
- 1979. Some relationships between grain yield and grain protein of wheat experiments in South-east England and comparisons with such relationships elsewhere. Journal of Science Food Agriculture 30: 59 – 70. & .
- 1981. Interelationship between nitrogen concentration in grain, grain yield and added fertilizer nitrogen in wheat experiments of South-east England. Journal of Science Food Agriculture 32: 35 – 43. & .
- 1986. Protein concentration of grain in relation to some weather and soil factors during 17 years of English winter-wheat experiments. Journal of Science Food Agriculture 37: 435 – 444. & .
- 1996. Changes in wheat grain quality due to doubling the level of atmospheric CO2. Cereal Chemistry 73: 762 – 766. , , , , , .
- 1994. Influence of rising atmospheric CO2 concentrations and temperature on growth, yield, and grain quality of cereal crops. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 21: 741 – 758. , , , , .
- 1998. Elevated CO2 reduces the nitrogen concentration of plant tissues. Global Change Biology 4: 43 – 54. , , .
- 1999. Seasonal changes in the response of winter wheat to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration grown in open-top chambers and field tracking chambers. Global Change Biology 5: 563 – 576. , , , , .
- 1987. Quality of hard, soft, and durum wheats. In: HeyneEG, ed. Wheat and wheat improvement. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America, 677 – 748. , , , .
- 1994. Quantifying wheat water stress with crop water stress index to schedule irrigations. Agronomy Journal 86: 195 – 199. , , , .
- 1998. Growth and yield potential of spring wheat in a simulated changed climate with increased CO2 and higher temperature. European Journal of Agronomy 9: 41 – 52. .
- 1984. CO2-enrichment effects on wheat yield and physiology. Crop Science 24: 1163 – 1168. , , .
- 1993. Free-air carbon dioxide enrichment for plant research in the field. Boca Raton, FL, USA: C. K. Smoley. , ed.
- 1992. Influence of elevated CO2 of leaf starch of field-grown cotton. Critical Reviews in Plant Science 11: 223 – 226. .
- 2000. Greenhouse gassed: carbon dioxide spells indigestion for food chains. Science News 157: 200 – 202. .
- 1996. CO2 enrichment and irrigation effects on wheat evapotranspiration in a free-air environment. Transactions of the Of the ASAE 39: 1345 – 1355. , , , , .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 1996. Climate change 1995: summary for policy makers and technical summary of the working group I report. Houghton Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1979. Effects of roll temperature on flour yield with the Brabender Quadrumat Experimental mills. Cereal Chemistry 54: 1018 – 1025. & .
- 1983. Carbon dioxide and agricultural yield: an assemblage and analysis of 430 prior observations. Agronomy Journal 75: 779 – 788. .
- 1986. Influence of elevated CO2 on crop yield. In: EnochHZ, KimballBA, eds. Carbon dioxide enrichment of greenhouse crops, vol 2: physiology, yield, and economics Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, Inc., 105 – 115. .
- 1999. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) and soil nitrogen effects on energy balance and evapotranspiration of wheat. Water Resources Research 35: 1179 – 1190. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Productivity and water use of wheat under free-air CO2 enrichment. Global Change Biology 1: 429 – 442. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Comparisons of responses of vegetation to elevated carbon dioxide in free-air and open-top chamber facilities. In: AllenJrLH, KirkhamMB, OlszykDM, WhitmanCE, eds. Advances in carbon dioxide research. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, Soil Science Society of America, 113 – 130. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Crop ecosystem responses to climatic change: Wheat. In: ReddyKR, HodgesHF, eds. Climate change and global crop productivity, New York, USA: CABI Publishing, 57 – 80. & .
- 1993. The influence of plant carbon dioxide and nutrient supply on susceptibility to insect herbivores. In: RozemaJ, LambersH, Van De GeijnSC, CambridgeML, eds. CO2 and biosphere. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 273 – 280. .
- 1996. SAS system for mixed models. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute, Inc. , , , .
- 1995. Effects of season long CO2 enrichment on cereals. II. Nutrient concentrations and grain quality. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 54: 175 – 185. , , , .
- 1998. Adaptation to high CO2 concentration in an optimal environment: radiation capture, canopy quantum yield and carbon use efficiency. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 315 – 324. & .
- 1996. Free-air CO2 enrichment: responses of cotton and wheat crops. In: KochGW, MooneyHA, eds. Carbon dioxide and terrestrial ecosystems San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 215 – 248. , , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of elevated CO2 and soil nitrogen fertilizer on final grain yields of spring wheat. Annual Research Report. Phoenix, USA: U.S. Water Conservation Laboratory, USDA, Agricultural Research Service, 71 – 74. , , , , , .
- 2000. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE): blower effects on wheat canopy microclimate and plant development. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 103/4: 319 – 332. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Effects of carbon dioxide enrichment on cotton nutrient dynamics. Journal of Plant Nutrition 21: 1407 – 1426. , , , , , .
- 1997. Very high CO2 reduces photosynthesis, dark respiration and yield in wheat. Annals of Botany 80: 539 – 546. & .
- 1998. The influence of atmospheric CO2 concentration on the protein, starch, and mixing properties of wheat flour. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 387 – 393. , , , , , .
- 1996. Influence of rising atmospheric CO2 and phosphorous nutrition on the grain yield and quality of rice (Oryza sativa cv. Jarrah). Cereal Chemistry 73: 239 – 243. , , , , , .
- 1997. Growth, grain yield and quality of rice (Oryza sativa L.) in response to elevated CO2 and phosphorus. Soil Science Plant Nutrition 43: 1131 – 1136. & .
- 2000. Leaf nitrogen concentration of wheat subjected to elevated [CO2] and either water or N deficits. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 79: 53 – 60. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Models of wheat grain quality considering climate, cultivar and nitrogen effects. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 94: 159 – 170. & .
- 1999. Grain quality and its physiological determinants. In: SatorreEH, SlaferGA, eds. Wheat: ecology and yield determination, New York, USA: Food Products Press, 85 – 120. & .
- 1995. Effects of elevated growth temperature and carbon dioxide levels on some physiochemical properties of wheat starch. Journal of Cereal Science 22: 63 – 71. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Nitrogen and carbon dynamics in a wheat agroecosystem under elevated atmospheric CO2. In: MortvedtJJ, ed. Proceedings Dahlia Greidinger International Symposium on Fertilizer and Environment. 24–27 March, 1997. Haifa, Israel: Technion-Israel Institute of Technology. 182 – 192. , , , , .
- 1994. Some influences of CO2 enrichment, nitrogen nutrition and competition on grain yield and quality in spring wheat and barley. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 937 – 942. & .
- 1993. Biological databases derived from free air carbon dioxide enrichment experiments. In: SchulzeED, MooneyHA, eds. Design and execution of experiments on CO2 enrichment. Brussels, Belgium: Commission of the European Communities, 329 – 351. & .
- 1995. The effects of elevated temperature and atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration on the quality of grain lipids in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) grown at two levels of nitrogen application. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 999 – 1009. , , , .
- 1992. Determination of the nitrogen-to-protein conversion factor in cereals. In: LinskensH-F, JacksonJF, eds. Seed analysis. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag, 95 – 107. .
- 1997. Growth and yield response of field-grown tropical rice to increasing carbon dioxide and temperature. Agronomy Journal 89: 45 – 53. , , , .