Nitrogen fertilization and developmental stage alter the response of Lolium perenne to elevated CO2
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 150, Issue 2, pages 347–358, May 2001
How to Cite
Daepp, M., Nösberger, J. and Lüscher, A. (2001), Nitrogen fertilization and developmental stage alter the response of Lolium perenne to elevated CO2. New Phytologist, 150: 347–358. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00109.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 29 August 2000 Accepted: 8 January 2001
- 2000. Evidence that P deficiency induces N feedback regulation of symbiotic N2 fixation in white clover (Trifolium repens L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1289 – 1297. , , , , .
- 1999. Partitioning of P and the activity of root acid phosphatase in white clover (Trifolium repens L.) are modified by increased atmospheric CO2 and P fertilization. Plant and Soil 210: 159 – 166. , , , , .
- 2001. Effect of canopy structure and dynamics on the development of white clover in mixtures with timothy or italian ryegrass. Grass and Forage Science. (In press.) , , , .
- 1998. N-poor ecosystems may respond more to elevated [CO2] than N-rich ones in the long term. A model analysis of grassland. Global Change Biology 4: 431 – 442. & .
- 1996. Long-term effects of CO2 enrichment and temperature increase on a temperate grass sward. 1. Productivity and water use. Plant and Soil 182: 83 – 99. , , .
- 1987. Plant responses to multiple environmental factors. Bioscience 9: 49 – 57. , , , .
- 1995. The influence of elevated CO2 and simulated seasonal-changes in temperature on tissue turnover in pasture turves dominated by perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne) and white clover (Trifolium repens). Journal of Applied Ecology 32: 128 – 136. , , , .
- 1997. Dry matter yield, leaf growth and population dynamics in Lolium perenne Trifolium repens-dominated pasture turves exposed to two levels of elevated CO2. Journal of Applied Ecology 34: 304 – 316. , , , .
- 1997. Elevated CO2 enhanced below-ground C allocation in three perennial grass species at different levels of N availability. New Phytologist 137: 421 – 431. & .
- 1986. Crop responses to carbon dioxide doubling: a literature survey. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 38: 127 – 145. & .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299 – 313. & .
- 2000. Yield response of Lolium perenne swards to free air CO2 enrichment increased over six years in a high N input system on fertile soil. Global Change Biology 6: 805 – 816. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Evidence of a feedback mechanism limiting plant response to elevated carbon dioxide. Nature 364: 616 – 617. , , , .
- 1997. More efficient plants: a consequence of rising atmospheric CO2? Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 609 –639. , , .
- 1997. Source-sink relations in Lolium perenne L. as reflected by carbohydrate concentrations in leaves and pseudo-stems during regrowth in a free air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE) experiment. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 945 – 952. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Soil mineral nitrogen availability was unaffected by elevated atmospheric pCO2 in a four year old field experiment (Swiss FACE). Plant and Soil 227: 291 – 299. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research, 2nd edn. New York, USA: Wiley. & .
- 1997a. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 and nitrogen fertilisation on yield of Trifolium repens and Lolium perenne. Acta Oecologica 18: 277 – 284. , , .
- 1997b. Growth response of Trifolium repens L. & Lolium perenne L. as monocultures and bi-species mixture to free air CO2 enrichment and management. Global Change Biology 3: 149 – 160. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Global greenhouse studies: need for a new approach to ecosystem management. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 11: 61 – 74. .
- 1991. Response to CO2 enrichment in 27 herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 5: 410 – 421. , , , .
- 1993. Further responses to CO2 enrichment in British herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 7: 661 – 668. , , , .
- 2000a. Nitrogen plays a major role in leaves when source-sink relations change: C and N metabolism in Lolium perenne growing under free air CO2 enrichment. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 851 – 858. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000b. Sucrose-phosphate synthase responds differently to source-sink relations and to photosynthetic rate: Lolium perenne L. growing at elevated pCO2 in the field. Plant, Cell and Environment 23: 597 – 607. , , , .
- 1983. Carbon dioxide and agricultural yield: an assemblage and analysis of 430 prior observations. Agronomy Journal 75: 779 – 788. .
- 1993. Ecology of crops in changing CO2 concentration. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 48: 559 – 566. .
- 1993. CO2 fertilisation: The great uncertainty in future vegetation development. In: SolomonAM, ShugartHH, eds. Vegetation dynamics and global change, New York, USA: Chapman and Hall, 53 – 77. .
- 1994. The potential effects of concurrent increases in temperature, CO2 and O3 on net photosynthesis, as mediated by Rubisco. In: AlscherRG, WellburnAR, eds. Plant responses to the gaseous environment, London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 21 – 38. .
- 1991. Primary production in grasslands and coniferous forests with climate change: an overview. Ecological Applications 1: 139 – 156. & .
- 1994. Predicting responses of photosynthesis and root fraction to elevated [CO2]a: interactions among carbon, nitrogen, and growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 1195 – 1204. , , .
- 2000. Direct evidence that symbiotic N2 fixation is an important trait for a strong response of the plant to elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 6: 655 – 662. , , , .
- 1998. Longterm responsiveness to free air CO2 enrichment of functional types, species and genotypes of permanent grassland. Oecologia 113: 37 – 45. , , .
- 1996. Differences between legumes and non-legumes of permanent grassland in their responses to free-air carbon dioxide enrichment: Its effect on competition in a multispecies mixture. In: KörnerC, BazzazFA, eds. Carbon dioxide, populations, and communities, San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 253 – 264. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Influence of an elevated atmospheric CO2 content on soil and rhizosphere bacterial communites beneath Lolium perenne and Trifolium repens under field conditions. Microbial Ecology 38: 39 – 49. , , .
- 1991. Relationship between climatic factors and the dry matter production of swards of different composition at two altitudes. Grass and Forage Science 46: 223 – 230. , , .
- 2000. Elevated atmospheric CO2 alters microbial population structure in a pasture ecosystem. Global Change Biology 6: 475 – 482. , , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of carbon dioxide concentrations on three grass species grown in mixture in two soil types at different ozone concentrations or temperatures. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica 47: 14 – 19. .
- 1994. Effects of elevated CO2 and simulated seasonal changes in temperature on the species composition and growth rates of pasture turves. Annals of Botany 73: 53 – 59. , , , , .
- 1998. Global change – a question of litter quality. Nature 396: 17 – 18. & .
- 1993. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to an elevated ambient CO2 concentration. Vegetatio 104: 77 – 97. .
- 1996. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to elevated CO2: a search for functional types. In: KörnerC, BazzazF, eds. Carbon dioxide, populations, and communities, San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 375 – 412. , , .
- 1998. Acclimation of photosynthesis to elevated CO2 under low-nitrogen nutrition is affected by the capacity for assimilate utilization. Perennial ryegrass under free-air CO2 enrichment. Plant Physiology 118: 683 – 689. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment with emphasis on roots and rhizosphere. Environmental Pollution 83: 155 – 189. , , .
- 1992. Effect of elevated CO2 on the photosynthesis, respiration and growth of perennial ryegrass. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 811 – 818. , , .
- 1995. Growth and regrowth of Phleum pratense, Lolium perenne, Trifolium repens and Trifolium pratense at normal and elevated CO2 concentration. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 55: 29 – 35. & .
- 1996. Nitrogen supply determines responses of yield and biomass partitioning of perennial ryegrass to elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations. Journal of Plant Nutrition 19: 1423 – 1440. , , .
- 1997. The response of perennial ryegrass white clover swards to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations: I. Effects on competition and species composition and interaction with N supply. New Phytologist 135: 67 – 79. , , .
- 1995. Effects of CO2 enrichment and intraspecific competition on biomass partitioning, nitrogen content and microbial biomass carbon in soil of perennial ryegrass and white clover. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 987 – 993. , , , .
- 1996. Microbial community changes in the rhizospheres of white clover and perennial ryegrass exposed to free air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE). Soil Biology and Biochemistry 28: 1717 – 1724. , , , .
- 1996. Long-term effects of CO2 enrichment and temperature increase on a temperate grass sward. II. Plant nitrogen budgets and root fraction. Plant and Soil 182: 101 – 114. , , .
- 1996. The effects of elevated CO2 on symbiotic N2 fixation: a link between the carbon and nitrogen cycles in grassland ecosystems. Plant and Soil 187: 321 – 332. & .
- 2000. The decomposition of Lolium perenne in soils exposed to elevated CO2: comparisons of mass loss of litter with soil respiration and soil microbial biomass. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 1359 – 1366. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of elevated CO2 and phosphorus addition on productivity and community composition of intact monoliths from calcareous grassland. Oecologia 116: 50 – 56. , , .
- 1993. Root growth and functioning under atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Vegetatio 104/105: 99 – 115. & .
- 2001. Response of perennial ryegrass to free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) is related to the dynamics of sward structure during regrowth. Crop Science. (In press.) , , .
- 1997. Temperate grassland responses to climate change: an analysis using the Hurley Pasture Model. Annals of Botany 80: 205 – 221. & .
- 1991. Carbon fluxes in plant-soil systems at elevated atmospheric CO2 levels. Ecological Applications 1: 175 – 181. , , .
- 1999. Responses of wild C4 and C3 grasses (Poaceae) species to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration: a meta-analytic test of current theories and perceptions. Global Change Biology 5: 723 – 741. , , , .
- 1993. Elevated atmospheric CO2 and feedback between carbon and nitrogen cycles. Plant and Soil 151: 105 – 117. , , , , , .
- 1996. Stimulation of symbiotic N2 fixation in Trifolium repens L. under elevated atmospheric pCO2 in a grassland ecosystem. Plant Physiology 112: 575 – 583. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Does nitrogen nutrition restrict the CO2 response of fertile grassland lacking legumes? Oecologia 112: 17 – 25. , , , , , , , , .