Elevated CO2 increases sorghum biomass under drought conditions
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 150, Issue 2, pages 261–273, May 2001
How to Cite
Ottman, M. J., Kimball, B. A., Pinter, P. J., Wall, G. W., Vanderlip, R. L., Leavitt, S. W., LaMorte, R. L., Matthias, A. D. and Brooks, T. J. (2001), Elevated CO2 increases sorghum biomass under drought conditions. New Phytologist, 150: 261–273. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00110.x
- Issue online: 21 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 8 August 2000 Accepted: 10 November 2000
- 1994. Energy content, construction cost and phytomass accumulation of Glycine max L. Merr. and Sorghum biocolor L. Moench grown in elevated CO2 in the field. New Phytologist 128: 443 – 450. , , , , , .
- 1987. User’s guide to the Arizona Meteorological Network. Phoenix, AZ, USA: City of Phoenix, Water Conservation and Resource Division & Arizona Cooperative Extension. .
- 1986. Effect of carbon dioxide on sorghum yield, root growth, and water use. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 37: 109 – 122. , , , .
- 2000. Free-Air Carbon Dioxide Enrichment (FACE) effects on sorghum evapotranspiration in well-watered and water stressed irrigation treatments. New Phytologist (August 2001). , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Linear relations between carbon dioxide concentration and rate of development towards flowering in sorghum, cowpea and soybean. Annals of Botany 75: 193 – 198. , , , .
- 1992. Arizona irrigation scheduling user’s manual. Tucson, AZ, USA: Cooperative Extension, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, University of Arizona. , , , .
- 1985. Photosynthesis, water use and growth of a C4 grass stand at CO2 concentration. Photosynthesis Research 7: 69 – 76. & .
- 1993. Control of carbon dioxide in unconfined field plots. In: SchulzeED, MooneyHA, eds. Design and execution of experiments on CO2 enrichment, report no. 6, ecosystems research report series, environmental research programme. Brussels, Belgium: Commission of the European Communities, 309 – 327. , , .
- 1973. Floral initiation in four plant species growing in CO2 enriched air. Environmental Control in Biology 11: 51 – 53. & .
- 1990. Climate change: the IPCC scientific assessment. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, World Meteorological Organization, United Nations Environmental Programme. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , , eds.
- 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment in the face of environmental constraints: a review of the past 10 years’ research. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 69: 153 – 203. & .
- 1986. Effects of carbon dioxide enrichment and soil water on maize. Agronomy Journal 78: 515 – 521. & .
- 1994. Design and application of a free-air carbon dioxide enrichment facility. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 15 – 30. , , .
- 1996. SAS system for mixed models. Cary, NC, USA. SAS Institute, Inc. , , , .
- 1984. Floral initiation in wheat, sunflower, and sorghum under carbon dioxide enrichment. Canadian Journal of Botany 62: 9 – 14. & .
- 1989. Effects of drought and CO2 enrichment on competition between two old-field perennials. New Phytologist 111: 181 – 186. & .
- 1978. Relationship of photosynthetic rate to growth and fruiting of cotton, soybean, sorghum, and sunflower. Crop Science 18: 259 – 263. , , .
- 1991. Global change and vegetation dynamics. In: JamesLF, EvansJO, RalphsMH, ChildRD, eds. Noxious range weeds. Boulder, CO, USA: Westview Press, 62 – 74. , , .
- 1992. Root and shoot weight in a tallgrass prairie under elevated carbon dioxide. Environmental and Experimental Botany 32: 193 – 201. , , , , , , .
- 1984a. Plant growth and water use with limited water supply in high CO2 concentrations. I. Leaf area, water use, and transpiration. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 11: 361 – 374. & .
- 1984b. Plant growth and water use with limited water supply in high CO2 concentrations. II. Plant dry weight, partitioning, and water use efficiency. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 11: 361 – 374. & .
- 1994. FACE facility CO2 concentration control and CO2 use in 1990 and 1991. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 31 – 48. , , , , .
- 1996. In: GW, Koch, HA, Mooney, eds. Carbon dioxide and terrestrial ecosystems San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 147 – 162. , , , , , .
- 1986. Responses of soybean (Glycine max) and three C4 grass weeds to CO2 enrichment during drought. Weed Science 34: 203 – 210. .
- 2000. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE): Blower effects on wheat canopy microclimate and plant development. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 103: 319 – 333. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to elevated CO2: A search for functional types. In: KörnerC, BazzazFA, eds. Carbon dioxide, populations, and communities. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 375 – 411. , , .
- 1988. Mapping and characterization of the soils on the University of Arizona Maricopa Agricultural Center. Proceedings of Hydrology and Water Resources of the Southwest, Arizona-Nevada Academy of Science. 18: 49 – 60. , , , .
- 1994. Elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide effects on sorghum and soybean nutrient status. Journal of Plant Nutrition 17: 1939 – 1954. , , , , .
- 1995. Soil water content under plants at high CO2 concentration and interactions with the direct CO2 effects: a species comparison. Journal of Biogeography 22: 193 – 202. & .
- 1984. CO2 and water stress effects on yield, water-use efficiency, and photosynthate partitioning in field-grown Zea mays L. Livermore, CA, USA: UCRL-90771, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. & .
- 1993. How a sorghum plant develops. Manhattan, KS, USA: Kansas State University Cooperative Extension. .
- 2000. Leaf photosynthesis and water relations of grain sorghum grown in Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) and water stress. New Phytologist (August 2001). , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Biological databases derived from free air carbon dioxide enrichment experiments. In: SchulzeED, Mooney HA, eds. Design and execution of experiments on CO2 enrichment, report no. 6, ecosystems research report series, environmental research programme. Brussels, Belgium: Commission of the European Communities, 329 – 351. & .
- 1986. Response of two old field perennials to interactions of CO2 enrichment and drought stress. American Journal of Botany 73: 1486 – 1491. & .