Do species and functional groups differ in acquisition and use of C, N and water under varying atmospheric CO2 and N availability regimes? A field test with 16 grassland species
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 150, Issue 2, pages 435–448, May 2001
How to Cite
Reich, P. B., Tilman, D., Craine, J., Ellsworth, D., Tjoelker, M. G., Knops, J., Wedin, D., Naeem, S., Bahauddin, D., Goth, J., Bengtson, W. and Lee, T. D. (2001), Do species and functional groups differ in acquisition and use of C, N and water under varying atmospheric CO2 and N availability regimes? A field test with 16 grassland species. New Phytologist, 150: 435–448. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00114.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 11 September 2000 Accepted: 11 January 2000
- 1990. Measurement of soil water content. Remote Sensing Review 5: 263 – 279. .
- 1998. N-poor ecosystems may respond more to elevated [CO2] than N-rich ones in the long term. A model analysis of grassland. Global Change Biology 4: 431 – 442. & .
- 1997. Dry matter yield, leaf growth and population dynamics in Lolium perenne/Trifolium repens-dominated pasture turves exposed to two levels of elevated CO2. Journal of Applied Ecology 34: 304 – 316. , , , .
- 1989. Growth and senescence in plant communities exposed to elevated CO2 concentrations on an estuarine marsh. Oecologia 78: 20 – 26. , , , , .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299 – 313. & .
- 1995. Elevated CO2 responsiveness, interactions at the community level, and plant functional types. Journal of Biogeography 22: 289 – 295. .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9 – 19. .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317 – 345. & .
- 1982. Effect of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on growth, nonstructural carbohydrate content. & root nodule activity in soybean. Plant Physiology 69: 327 – 331. & .
- 1997. Growth response of Trifolium repens L. and Lolium perenne L. as monocultures and bi-species mixture to free air CO2 enrichment and management. Global Change Biology 3: 149 – 160. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Response to CO2 enrichment in 27 herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 5: 410 – 421. , , , .
- 1993. Further responsse to CO2 enrichment in British herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 7: 661 – 668. , , , .
- 1996. Carbon dioxide and terrestrial ecosystem. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. & .
- 1996. Carbon dioxide, populations and communities. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. & .
- 1988. Effect of CO2 enrichment and nitrogen availability on resource acquisition and resource allocation in a grass, Bromus mollis. Oecologia 77: 544 – 549. , , .
- 1996. Effects of elevated CO2 on plant species dominance in a highly diverse calcareous grassland. In: KornerC, BazzazFA, eds. Carbon dioxide, populations, and communities. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, Inc., 159 – 175. & .
- 1999. A field study of the effects of elevated CO2 on plant biomass and community structure in a calcareous grassland. Oecologia 118: 39 – 49. , , , .
- 2001. Leaf gas exchange responses of 13 prairie grassland species in the field under elevated carbon dioxide and increased nitrogen supply. New Phytologist 150: 000 – 000. , , , .
- 1994. Design and application of a free-air carbon dioxide enrichment facility. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 15 – 29. , , , .
- 1996. The CO2 dependence of photosynthesis, plant growth responses to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations and their interaction with soil nutrient status. I. General principals and forest ecosystems. Functional Ecology 10: 4 – 32. & .
- 1998. Long-term responsiveness to free air CO2 enrichment of functional types, species and genotypes of plants from fertile permanent grassland. Oecologia 113: 37 – 45. , , .
- 1997. Interspecific and intraspecific variability in the response of grasses and legumes to free air CO2 enrichment. Acta Oecologica 18: 269 – 275. & .
- 1999. Effect of competition on the responses of grasses and legumes to elevated atmospheric CO2 along a nitrogen gradient: differences between isolated plants, monocultures and multi-species mixtures. New Phytologist 143: 323 – 331. , , , .
- 1994. Biomass production in a nitrogen-fertilized, tallgrass prairie ecosystem exposed to ambient and elevated levels of CO2. Plant and Soil 165: 105 – 113. , , .
- 1993. Biomass production in a tallgrass prairie ecosystem exposed to ambient and elevated CO2. Ecological Applications 3: 644 – 653. , , , , .
- 1984. Comparative ecophysiology of C3 and C4 plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 7: 1 – 13. & .
- 1993. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to an elevated ambient CO2 concentration. Vegetatio 104/105: 77 – 97. .
- 1998. Do slow-growing species and nutrient-stressed plants respond relatively strongly to elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 4: 693 – 697. .
- 2000. The role of biomass allocation in the growth response of plants to different levels of light, CO2, nutrients and water: a quantitative review. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 595 – 607. & .
- 1996. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to elevated CO2: a search for functional types. In: KörnerC, BazzazFA, eds. Carbon dioxide, populations and communities. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 375 – 412. , , .
- 1987. Quantifying plant response to ozone: a unifying theory. Tree Physiology 3: 63 – 91. .
- 2001. Root-shoot relationships: optimality in biomass allocation or the ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’?. In: WaiselY, EschelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half. New York, USA: Marcel Dekker, Inc. (In press.) .
- 2001. Plant diversity enhances ecosystem responses to elevated CO2 and nitrogen deposition. Nature (In press.) , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The response of perennial ryegrass/white clover swards to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations. New Phytologist 135: 67 – 79. , , .
- 1996. The effects of elevated CO2 on symbiotic N2 fixation: a link between the carbon and nitrogen cycles in grassland ecosystems. Plant and Soil 187: 321 – 332. & .
- 1991. Plant traits and resource reduction for five grasses growing on a nitrogen gradient. Ecology 72: 685 – 700. & .
- 2001. Direct inhibition of leaf dark respiration by elevated CO2 is minor in 12 grassland species. New Phytologist 150: 000 – 000. , , , .
- 1996. Interaction of carbon dioxide and ozone on C3 and C4 grasses and trees under contrasting nutrient supply. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 674 – 684. & .
- 1999. Responses of wild C4 and C3 (Poaceae) species to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration: a meta-analytic test of current theories and perceptions. Global Change Biology 5: 723 – 741. , , , .
- 1998. Biomass and compositional changes occur in chalk grassland turves exposed to elevated CO2 for two seasons in FACE. Global Change Biology 4: 375 – 385. , , .
- 1996. Influence of Nitrogen Loading and Species Composition on the Carbon Balance of Grasslands. Science 274: 1720 – 1723. & .
- 2000. Atmospheric CO2, soil-N availability, and allocation of biomass and nitrogen by Populus tremuloides. Ecological Applications 10: 34 – 46. , , , , , .
- 1996. Stimulation of symbiotic N2 fixation in Trifolium repens L. under elevated atmospheric CO2 in a grassland ecosystem. Plant Physiology 112: 575 – 583. , , , , , , , , .