Physiological responses of Catharanthus roseus (periwinkle) to ash yellows phytoplasmal infection
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 150, Issue 3, pages 757–769, June 2001
How to Cite
Tan, P. Y. and Whitlow, T. (2001), Physiological responses of Catharanthus roseus (periwinkle) to ash yellows phytoplasmal infection. New Phytologist, 150: 757–769. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00121.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 15 September 2000 Accepted: 10 January 2001
- 1994. Susceptibility of tobacco leaves to photoinhibition following infection with two strains of tobacco mosaic virus under different light and nitrogen nutrition regimes. Plant Physiology 104: 1051–1057. & .
- 1997. Concepts of plant biotic stress. Some insights into the stress physiology of virus-infected plants, from the perspective of photosynthesis. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 203–213. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Stomatal patchiness. Progress in Botany 59: 283–298. & .
- 1996. Photosynthetic responses to changing atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration. In: BakerNR, ed. Photosynthesis and the environment. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Press, 387–407. .
- 1986. Effects of phosphorus nutrition on ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase activation, photosynthetic quantum yield and amounts of some Calvin-cycle metabolites in spinach leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 165–177. .
- 1982. Pathogenicity of spiroplasmas, mycoplasmalike organisms, and vascular-limited fastidious walled bacteria. In: MountMS, LacyGH, eds. Phytopathogenic prokaryotes. New York, USA: Academic Press, 492–509. & .
- 1986. Detection of mycoplasmalike organisms in peach and chokeberry with X-disease by fluorescence microscopy. Phytopathology 76: 784–787. .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1996. The allocation of protein nitrogen in the photosynthetic apparatus: costs, consequences, and control. In: BakerNR, ed. Photosynthesis and the environment. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Press, 183–205. & .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. & .
- 1997. Genetic variation in stomatal and biochemical limitations to photosynthesis in the annual plant, Polygonum arenastrum. Oecologia 109: 535–546. & .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of Chl fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 1996. Regulation of light utilization for photosynthetic electron transport in vivo. In: BakerNR, ed. Photosynthesis and the environment. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Press, 68–92. & .
- 1996. How do viruses traffic on the ‘vascular highway’? Trends in Plant Science 1: 260–268. & .
- 1999. The phytoplasma associated with ash yellows and lilac witches’-broom: ‘Candidatus Phytoplasma fraxini’. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 49: 1605–1614. , , , .
- 1992. Modeling photosynthesis of cotton grown in elevated CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 271–282. , , , .
- 1987. The degradation of chlorophyll – a biological enigma. New Phytologist 107: 255–302. , , .
- 1996. Regulation of light harvesting of green plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 655–684. , , .
- 1991. Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase-oxygenase, other Calvin-cycle enzymes, and chlorophyll decrease when glucose is supplied to mature spinach leaves via the transpiration stream. Planta 186: 58–69. , , .
- 1988. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis. An evaluation of damaging and protective mechanisms. Physiologia Plantarum 74: 566–574. .
- 1991. Chlorophyll fluorescence and photosynthesis: the basics. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 313–349. & .
- 1998. Distribution of leaf photosynthetic properties in tree canopies: comparison of species with different shade tolerance. Functional Ecology 12: 472–479. & .
- 1992. Distribution and multiplication of western aster yellows mycoplasmalike organisms in Catharanthus roseus as determined by DNA hybridization analysis. Phytopathology 82: 457–462. & .
- 1996. Physiological and biochemical changes in shoots of coconut palms affected by lethal yellowing. New Phytologist 134: 227–234. , , , , .
- 1999. Effect of phytoplasma infection on concentration and translocation of carbohydrates and amino acids in periwinkle and tobacco. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 55: 59–68. , , , .
- 1992. Long distance movement of cauliflower mosaic virus in infected turnip plants. Molecular Plant Microbe Interactions 1: 41–47. , , .
- 1993. Movement of virus and photoassimilate in the phloem: a comparative analysis. Bioassays 15: 741–748. & .
- 1998. Abscisic acid signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 199–222. & .
- 1997. A new mechanism for the regulation of stomatal aperture in intact leaves. Plant Physiology 114: 109–118. , , , .
- 2000. Is abscisic acid responsible for abnormal stomatal closure in coconut palms showing lethal yellowing? Journal of Plant Physiology 156: 319–322. , , , .
- 1983. Stomatal closure in plants infected with mycoplasmalike organisms. Phytopathology 73: 398–402. & .
- 1982. Formulae for determination of chlorophyllous pigments extracted with N,N-dimethylformamide. Plant Physiology 69: 1376–1381. .
- 1980. Chlorophyll determination in intact tissues using N,N-dimethylformamide. Plant Physiology 65: 478–479. & .
- 1999. The involvement of polyamines in phytoplasma-infected periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus L.) plants. Plant Biosystems 133: 37–45. , , , , , .
- 1995. Multiplication and distribution of rice yellow dwarf phytoplasma in infected tissues of rice and green rice leafhopper Nephotettix cincticeps. Annals of the Phytopathological Society of Japan 61: 451–455. & .
- 1991. Influence of water deficit on maize endosperm development. Enzyme activities and RNA transcripts of starch and zein synthesis, abscisic acid, and cell division. Plant Physiology 97: 154–164. , , , , .
- 1996. Processing of excitation energy by antenna pigments. In: BakerNR, ed. Photosynthesis and the environment. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Press, 1–21. .
- 1995. CO2 assimilation, respiration and Chl fluorescence in peach leaves infected by Taphrina deformans. Physiologia Plantarum 93: 540–544. .
- 1994. Acclimation of photosynthesis to increasing atmospheric CO2: the gas exchange perspective. Photosynthesis Research 39: 351–368. .
- 1996. Histological and biochemical changes in Mycoplasma infected leaves of eggplant. Journal of Mycopathology 34: 149–155. , , , , .
- 1990. Regulation of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase activity in response to changes in the source: sink balance in single-rooted soybean leaves: the role of inorganic orthophosphate in activation of the enzyme. Plant Cell Physiology 31: 697–704. , , , .
- 1994. Invertase: understanding changes in the photosynthetic and carbohydrate metabolism of barley leaves infected with powdery mildew. New Phytologist 126: 213–222. , , , .
- 1986. Continuous recording of photochemical and nonphotochemical quenching with a new type of modulation fluorimeter. Photosynthesis Research 10: 51–62. , , .
- 1976. Investigations to demonstrate mycoplasmalike organisms in diseased plants by fluorescence microscopy. Acta Horticulturae 67: 109–112. .
- 1989. Evaluating the role of Rubisco regulation in photosynthesis in C3 plants. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B 323: 435–448. .
- 1998. Histopathology and within-plant distribution of the phytoplasma associated with Australian papaya dieback. Plant Disease 82: 1112–1120. , , , , .
- 1994. Ash yellows and its relationship to dieback and decline of ash. Annual Review of Phytopathology 32: 49–60. & .
- 1997. Comparisons of tolerance of ash yellows phytoplasmas in Fraxinus species and rootstock-scion combinations. Plant Disease 81: 395–398. & .
- 2000. Variation in aggressiveness of ash yellows phytoplasmas. Plant Disease 84: 282–288. & .
- 1996. Ash yellows and lilac witches’-broom: phytoplasmal diseases of concern in forestry and horticulture. Plant Disease 80: 468–475. , , .
- 1997. Heritable tolerance of ash yellows phytoplasmas in green ash. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 27: 1928–1935. , , .
- 1996. The effect of Albugo candida (white blister rust) on the photosynthetic and carbohydrate metabolism of leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 967–975. , , .
- 1988. Characterization of nonuniform photosynthesis induced b abscisic acid in leaves having different mesophyll anatomies. Plant Cell Physiology 29: 385–394. , , , .
- 1982. Photosynthetic characteristics during ontogenesis of leaves. 7. Stomata density and sizes. Photosynthetica 16: 375–471. .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. & .
- 1990. Methods in Stomatal Research. Essex, UK: Longman Scientific & Technical. & .
- 1989. Rate limitation of nonsteady-state photosynthesis by ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase in spinach. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 487–500. & .