Gender-specific responses of Populus tremuloides to atmospheric CO2 enrichment
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 150, Issue 3, pages 675–684, June 2001
How to Cite
Wang, X. and Curtis, P. S. (2001), Gender-specific responses of Populus tremuloides to atmospheric CO2 enrichment. New Phytologist, 150: 675–684. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00138.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 30 October 2000 Accepted: 29 January 2001
- 1988. Relative reproductive effort in males and females of the dioecious shrub Oemleria cerasiformis. Oecologia 76: 111–118. & .
- 1989. Respiration and crop productivity. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1991. Respiration in a future, higher-CO2 world. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 13–20. .
- 2000. The McCree-de Wit-Penning de Veries-Thornley respiration paradigms: 30 years later. Annals of Botany 86: 1–20. .
- 1983. Relationship between photosynthesis and respiration. Plant Physiology 71: 574–581. & .
- 1992. Effects of daytime carbon dioxide concentration on dark respiration in rice. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 231–239. , , , .
- 1969. Natural variation and delineation of clones of Populus tremuloides and P. grandidentata in northern Lower Michigan. Silvae Genetica 18: 130–142. .
- 1958. Photosynthetic and respiratory rates in leaves of male and female quaking aspens. Forest Science 4: 331–334. .
- 1994. Responses of respiration to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 427–430. .
- 1996. Responses of respiration to increases in carbon dioxide concentration and temperature in three soybean cultivars. Annals of Botany 77: 507–514. & .
- 1992. Seasonal responses of leaf gas exchange to elevated carbon dioxide in Populus grandidentata. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 22: 1320–1325. & .
- 1995. Interacting effects of soil fertility and atmospheric CO2 on leaf area growth and carbon gain physiology in Populus × euramericana (Dode) Guinier. New Phytologist 129: 253–263. , , , , .
- 2000. Gas exchange, leaf nitrogen, and growth efficiency of Populus tremuloides in a CO2 enriched atmosphere. Ecological Applications 10: 3–17. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. & .
- 1989. Patterns of water use and the tissue water relations in the dioecious shrub, Salix arctica: the physiological basis for habitat partitioning between the sexes. Oecologia 79: 332–343. & .
- 1993. Gender-specific physiology, carbon isotope discrimination, and habitat distribution in boxelder, Acer negundo. Ecology 74: 798–815. & .
- 1999. Dimorphism in physiology and morphology. In: GerberMA, DawsonTE, DelphLF, eds. Gender and sexual dimorphism in flowering plants. Berlin Heidelberg Germany: Springer-Verlag, 175–216. & .
- 1999. Does elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration inhibit mitochondrial respiration in green plants? Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 649–657. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The genecology of Populus. In: StettlerRF, BradshawHD, Jr, HeilmanPE, HinckleyTM, eds. Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation. Ottawa, ON, Canada: NRC Research Press, 33–55. .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 1985. The respiratory source of CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 427–438. .
- 1965. Silvics of forest trees of the United States, Agricultural Handbook No. 271. Washington DC, USA: USDA Forest Service. .
- 2000. Oxygen processing in photosynthesis: regulation and signalling. Phytologist 146: 359–388. & .
- 1976. Differential resource utilization by the sexes of dioecious plants. Science 193: 597–599. , , .
- 1979. Elevational gradients in adult sex ratios and sexual differentiation in vegetative growth rates of Populus tremuloides Michx. Evolution 33: 914–918. & .
- 1994. Photosynthetic acclimation in trees to rising atmospheric CO2: a broader perspective. Photosynthesis Research 39: 369–388. & .
- 1992. Modeling photosynthesis of cotton grown in elevated CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 271–282. , , , .
- 1985. Effects of CO2 enrichment and carbohydrate content on the dark respiration of soybeans. Plant Physiology 79: 684–689. , , .
- 1999. Sex- and habitat-specific responses of a high arctic willow, Salix arctica, to experimental climate change. Oikos 87: 129–138. , , .
- 1977. Enzymic assay of 10−7– 10−14 moles of sucrose in plant tissues. Plant Physiology 60: 379–383. , , .
- 1975. Primary production of forests. In: CooperJP, ed. Photosynthesis and productivity in different environments. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 5–40. .
- 1995. Respiration during photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 46: 45–70. .
- 1989. Analyses of growth based on net assimilation rate and nitrogen productivity: their physiological background. In: LambersH, CambridgeML, KoningsH, PonsTL, eds. Causes and consequences of variation in growth rate and productivity of higher plants. The Hague: SPB Academic Publishing, 175–186. , , , , .
- 1996. Sex-specific physiology and source-sink relations in the dioecious plant Silene latifolia. Oecologia 106: 63–72. & .
- 1977. Secondary sex characters in plants. The Botanical Review 43: 177–216. & .
- 1992. A quantitative analysis of dark respiration and carbon content as factors in the growth response of plants to elevated CO2. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 501–513. , , , .
- 1995. Dioecy and its correlates in the flowering plants. American Journal of Botany 82: 596–606. & .
- 1990. Potential evaporation and the likelihood of future drought. Journal of Geophysics Research 95: 9983–10004. , , , , .
- 1985. Growth in male and female aspen clones: a twenty-five-year longitudinal study. Ecology 66: 1921–1927. & .
- 1981. Biometry. San Francisco, USA: WH Freeman. & .
- 1986. Direct effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on plants and ecosystems: A bibliography with abstracts, CDIAC-13. Oak Ridge, TN, USA: Oak Ridge National Laboratory. & .
- 1994. Direct effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on plants and ecosystems: an updated bibliographic data base, CDIAC-70. Oak Ridge, TN, USA: Oak Ridge National Laboratory. & .
- 1994. Direct and indirect effects of atmospheric carbon dioxide enrichment on leaf respiration of Glycine max (L.) Merr. Plant Physiology 104: 355–361. & .
- 1993. Growth and maintenance components of leaf respiration of cotton grown in elevated carbon dioxide partial pressure. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 539–546. , , , .
- 2000. Genotypic variation in physiological and growth responses of Populus tremuloides to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration. Tree Physiology 20: 1019–1028. , , , .
- 1998. Carbon balance of young birch trees grown in ambient and elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Global Change Biology 4: 797–807. , , .
- 1992. Respiratory cost of leaf growth and maintenance in white oak saplings exposed to atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 22: 1717–1721. & .
- 1990. Spatial and temporal variability of nitrogen cycling in northern Lower Michigan. Forest Science 36: 367–380. & .
- 2000. Atmospheric CO2, soil-N availability, and allocation of biomass and nitrogen by Populus tremuloides. Ecological Applications 10: 34–46. , , , , , .