Calcium-based signalling systems in guard cells
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 151, Issue 1, pages 109–120, July 2001
How to Cite
Ng, CarL. K.-Y., Mcainsh, M. R., Gray, J. E., Hunt, LeE., Leckie, C. P., Mills, L. and Hetherington, A. M. (2001), Calcium-based signalling systems in guard cells. New Phytologist, 151: 109–120. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00152.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 27 November 2000 Accepted: 8 February 2001
- 1994. Two transduction pathways mediate rapid effects of abscisic acid in Commelina guard cells. Plant Cell 6: 1319–1328. , , , , .
- 2000. Alteration of stimulus-specific guard cell calcium oscillations and stomatal closing in Arabidopsis det3 mutant. Science 289: 2338–2342. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999b. Arabidopsis abi1-1 and abi1-2 phosphatase mutations reduce abscisic acid-induced cytoplasmic calcium rises in guard cells. Plant Cell 11: 1785–1798. , , , , .
- 1999a. Cameleon calcium indicator reports cytoplasmic calcium dynamics in Arabidopsis guard cells. Plant Journal 19: 735–747. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Release of Ca2+ from individual plant vacuoles by both InsP3 and cyclic ADP-ribose. Science 268: 735–737. , , .
- 1996. Control of ionic currents in guard cell vacuoles by cytosolic and luminal calcium. Plant Journal 10: 1055–1069. & .
- 1997. Vacuolar ion channels of higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 25: 217–252. & .
- 1994. Evidence for an extracellular reception site for abscisic acid in Commelina guard cells. Plant Physiology 104: 1177–1183. , , .
- 1999. Hormonal regulation of ion transporters: the guard cell system. In: HooykaasPJJ, HallMA, LibbengaKR, eds. Biochemistry and molecular biology of plant hormones, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science, 337–361. & .
- 2000. Co- expression of calcium-dependent protein kinase with the inward rectified guard cell K+ channel KAT1 alters current parameters in Xenopus laevis oocytes. Plant & Cell Physiology 41: 785–790. , , , , .
- 1988. Spatial and temporal aspects of cell signalling. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B 320: 325–343. , , .
- 2000. The versatility and universality of calcium signalling. Nature Reviews – Molecular Cell Biology 1: 11–21. , , .
- 1999. Calcium-induced calcium release mediated by a voltage-activated cation channel in vacuolar vesicles from red beet. FEBS Letters 458: 41–44. , , , .
- 1990. Reversible inactivation of K+ channels of Vicia stomatal guard cells following the photolysis of caged inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate. Nature 346: 766–769. , , .
- 2000. Ca2+ signalling and control of guard-cell Volume in stomatal movements. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 3: 196–204. .
- 1987. Pyridine nucleotide metabolites stimulate calcium release from sea urchin egg microsomes desensitised to inositol trisphosphate. Journal of Biological Chemistry 262: 9561–9569. , , , .
- 1986. Ultrastructural evidence of abscisic acid binding sites in guard cells of Vicia faba. Microscopia Electronica Y Biologia Celular 10: 115–123. & .
- 1985. Synergism between calcium ions and abscisic acid in preventing stomatal opening. New Phytologist 100: 473–482. , , .
- 1993. Ca2+ oscillations in nonexcitable cells. Annual Review of Physiology 55: 427–454. .
- 1991. Ca2+-induced Ca2+ release in sea urchin egg homogenates: modulation by cyclic ADP-ribose. Science 253: 1143–1146. , , .
- 1993. Cyclic ADP-ribose: a new way to control calcium. Science 259: 325–326. .
- 1994. Cyclic ADP-ribose, the ADP-ribosyl cyclase pathway and calcium signalling. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 98: 125–131. .
- 2000. Cyclic ADP-ribose as a calcium-mobilising messenger. Science’s signal transduction knowledge environment. 1–6. ( http://www.skte.org/cgi/content/full/OCsigtrans;2000/41/pe1) .
- 1991. Role of calcium in signal transduction of Commelina guard cells. Plant Cell 3: 333–344. , , , .
- 1990. Elevation of cytoplasmic calcium by caged calcium or caged inositol trisphosphate initiates stomatal closure. Nature 346: 769–771. , , .
- 1992. Inhibition of blue light-dependent H+ pumping by abscisic acid in Vicia guard-cell protoplasts. Plant Physiology 111: 433–440. , , , .
- 1999. A steep dependence of inward-rectifying potassium channels on cytosolic free calcium concentration increase evoked by hyperpolarisation in guard cells. Plant Physiology 119: 277–287. & .
- 2000. Ca2+ channels at the plasma membrane of stomatal guard cells are activated by hyperpolarisation and abscisic acid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 4967–4972. , , , .
- 1983. The site of action of abscisic acid at the guard cell plasmalemma of Valerianella locusta. Plant, Cell & Environment 6: 427–428. .
- 1998. The control of specificity in guard cell signal transduction. Philosophical Transduction of the Royal Society of London Series B 353: 1489–1494. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Spatiotemporal dynamics of inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate that underlies complex Ca2+ mobilisation patterns. Nature 284: 1527–1530. , , , .
- 1992. Changes in cytosolic pH and calcium of guard cells precede stomatal movements. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 1790–1794. , , .
- 1999. Abscisic acid signal transduction in guard cells is mediated by phospholipase D activity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 12192–12197. , , , .
- 2000. Signalling networks: the origins of cellular multitasking. Cell 103: 193–200. , , .
- 1995. Cytosolic concentration of Ca2+ regulates the plasma membrane H+-ATPase in guard cells of fava bean. Plant Cell 7: 1333–1342. , , .
- 1998. Abscisic acid-induced stomatal closure mediated by cyclic ADP-ribose. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 15837–15842. , , , , .
- 2000. Multiple calcium stores: separate but interacting. Science’s signal transduction knowledge environment. 1–4. ( http://www.skte.org/cgi/content/full/OCsigtrans;2000/40/pe1). .
- 1995. Cyclic ADP-ribose and its metabolic enzymes. Biochimie 77: 345–355. , , .
- 1989. Structural determination of a cyclic metabolite of NAD+ with intracellular Ca2+-mobilising activity. Journal of Biological Chemistry 264: 1608–1615. , , , , .
- 1996. Abscisic acid-induced phosphoinositide turnover in guard cell protoplasts of Vicia faba. Plant Physiology 110: 987–996. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Inositol hexakisphosphate is a physiological signal regulating the K+-inward rectifying conductances in guard cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 8687–8692. , , .
- 1994. Role of calcium in the modulation of Vicia guard cell potassium channels by abscisic acid: a patch-clamp study. Journal of Membrane Biology 137: 99–107. & .
- 1996. An abscisic acid-activated and calcium- independent protein kinase from guard cells of fava bean. Plant Cell 8: 2359–2368. & .
- 1998. Guard cells possess a calcium-dependent protein kinase that phosphorylates the KAT1 potassium channel. Plant Physiology 116: 785–795. , , .
- 2000. Regulation of abscisic acid-induced stomatal closure and anion channels by guard cell AAPK kinase. Science 287: 300–303. , , , .
- 1993. Immunosuppressants implicate protein phosphatase regulation of K+ channels in guard cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 2202–2206. , , , , .
- 1989.Calcium influx at the plasmalemma of isolated guard cells of Commelina communis. Planta 178: 231–241. .
- 1995. ABA-induced ion efflux in stomatal guard cells: multiple actions of ABA inside and outside the cell. Plant Journal 7: 565–576. .
- 1998. Signal transduction and ion channels in guard cells. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B 353: 1475–1488. .
- 2000. ABA activates multiple Ca2+ fluxes in stomatal guard cells, triggering vacuolar K+ (Rb+) release. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 12361–12368. .
- 1990. Abscisic acid-induced elevation of guard cell cytosolic Ca2+ precedes stomatal closure. Nature 343: 186–188. , , .
- 1991. Partial inhibition of ABA-induced stomatal closure by calcium-channel blockers. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 243: 195–201. , , .
- 1992. Visualising changes in cytosolic-free Ca2+ during the response of stomatal guard cells to abscisic acid. Plant Cell 4: 1113–1122. , , .
- 1997. Calcium ions as second messengers in guard cell signal transduction. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 16–29. , , .
- 1996. Changes in stomatal behaviour and guard cell cytosolic free calcium in response to oxidative stress. Plant Physiology 111: 1031–1042. , , , .
- 2000. Ca2+ signalling in stomatal guard cells. Biochemical Society Transactions 28: 476–481. , , , , .
- 1998. Encoding specificity in Ca2+ signalling systems. Trends in Plant Science 3: 32–36. & .
- 1995. Stimulus-induced oscillations in guard-cell cytosolic free calcium. Plant Cell 7: 1207–1219. , , , .
- 1993. Cyclic ADP-ribose as an endogenous regulator of the nonskeletal type ryanodine receptor Ca2+ channel. Nature 364: 76–79. , , .
- 1997. Abscisic acid activates a 48-kilodalton protein kinase in guard cell protoplasts. Plant Physiology 113: 833–839. & .
- 1997. Ligand-gated Ca2+ channels and Ca2+ signalling in higher plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 589–597. , , , .
- 1996. Pharmacology of Ca2+ release from red beet microsomes suggests the presence of ryanodine receptor homologs in higher plants. FEBS Letters 395: 39–42. & .
- 2000. Calcium release from the endoplasmic reticulum of higher plants elicited by the NADP metabolite nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide phosphate. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 8693–8698. , , , , , .
- 1993. Identification of 3- and 4-phosphorylated phosphoinositides and inositol phosphates in stomatal guard cells. Plant Journal 4: 255–263. & .
- 1995. Metabolism of 3- and 4-phosphorylated phosphatidylinositols in stomatal guard cells of Commelina communis L. Plant Journal 8: 425–433. & .
- 1998. Role of farnesyltransferase in ABA regulation of guard cell anion channels and plant water loss. Science 282: 287–290. , , , , .
- 2000. Calcium channels activated by hydrogen peroxide mediate abscisic acid signalling in guard cells. Nature 406: 731–734. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Magnesium sensitises slow vacuolar channels to physiological cytosolic calcium and inhibits vacuolar channels in fava bean guard cell vacuoles. Plant Physiology 121: 977–986. , , .
- 1997. Slowly activating vacuolar channels cannot mediate Ca2+-induced Ca2+ release. Plant Journal 12: 1387–1398. , , , .
- 2000. Increases in cytosolic Ca2+ are not required for abscisic acid-inhiibtion of inward K+ currents in guard cells of Vicia faba L. Planta 211: 209–217. , , , .
- 1999. Communicating with calcium. Plant Cell 11: 691–706. , , .
- 1989. Cytosolic calcium regulates ion channels in the plasma membrane. Nature 338: 417–430. & .
- 1990. Repetitive increases in cytosolic Ca2+ of guard cells by abscisic acid activation of nonselective Ca2+ permeable channels. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 9305–9309. & .
- 1994. Inhibition of inward K+ channels and stomatal response by abscisic acid: an intracellular locus of phytohormone action. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 85: 436–440. , , , .
- 1999. Involvement of intracellular Ca2+ in blue light-dependent proton pumping in guard cell protoplasts from Vicia faba. Physiologia Plantarum 105: 554–561. , , .
- 2000. Lipid rafts and signal transduction. Nature Reviews – Molecular Cell Biology 1: 31–39. & .
- 1999. Abscisic acid induces oscillations in guard-cell cytosolic free calcium that involve phosphoinositide-specific phospholipase C. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 1779–1784. , , , , , .
- 2000. Translocation and reversible localisation of signalling proteins: a dynamic future for signal transduction. Cell 103: 181–184. & .
- 1994. Calcium-activated K+ channels and calcium-induced calcium release by slow vacuolar ion channels in guard cell vacuoles implicated in the control of stomatal closure. Plant Cell 6: 669–683. & .
- 1997. Convergence of the ABA, CO2 and extracellular calcium signal transduction pathways in stomatal guard cells. Plant Physiology 114: 1557–1560. & .
- 1996. Carbon dioxide induces increases in guard cell cytosolic free calcium. Plant Journal 9: 297–304. , , , .
- 1996. Stomata, 2nd edn. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. & .
- 1997. Abscisic acid signalling through cyclic ADP-ribose in plants. Science 278: 2126–2130. , , , , , , .