PEP carboxylase kinase is a novel protein kinase controlled at the level of expression
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 151, Issue 1, pages 91–97, July 2001
How to Cite
Nimmo, H. G., Fontaine, V., Hartwell, J., Jenkins, G. I., Nimmo, G. A. and Wilkins, M. B. (2001), PEP carboxylase kinase is a novel protein kinase controlled at the level of expression. New Phytologist, 151: 91–97. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00155.x
- Issue online: 21 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 20 September 2000 Accepted: 27 November 2000
- 1993. Regulatory phosphorylation of C4 phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase. A cardinal event influencing the photosynthethis rate in Sorghum and maize. Plant Physiology 101: 891–897. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Regulatory protein phosphorylation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in the facultative crassulacean- acid-metabolism plant Mesembryanthemum crystallinum L. European Journal of Biochemistry 209: 95–101. , , .
- 1997. A comparative study on the regulation of C3 and C4 carboxylation processes in the constitutive crassulacean acid metabolism CAM plant Kalanchoë daigremontiana and the C3-CAM intermediate Clusia minor. Planta 201: 368–378. & .
- 1999. Metabolite control overrides circadian regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase and CO2 fixation in Crassulacean Acid Metabolism. Plant Physiology 121: 889–896. , , , , .
- 1986. Phosphorylation-dephosphorylation process as a probable mechanism for the diurnal regulatory changes of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in CAM plants. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 136: 151–159. , , , , .
- 1990. Bryophyllum fedtschenkoi protein phosphatase 2A can dephosphorylate phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase. FEBS Letters 263: 233–236. , , , .
- 1991. Circadian rhythms in the activity of a plant protein kinase. EMBO Journal 10: 2063–2068. , , , .
- 1992. Nitrate activation of cytosolic protein kinases diverts photosynthetic carbon from sucrose to amino acid biosynthesis. Plant Physiology 100: 7–12. & .
- 1996. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase: a ubiquitous, highly regulated enzyme in plants. Annual Reviews of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 273–298. , , .
- 2000. An increase in phosphoinositide-specific phospholipase C activity precedes induction of C4 phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase phosphorylation in illuminated and NH4Cl-treated protoplasts from Digitaria sanguinalis. Plant Journal 23: 497–506. , , , .
- 1987. Regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase activity in maize leaves. Plant Physiology 84: 82–87. & .
- 1997. In vivo phosphorylation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in guard cells of Vicia faba L. is enhanced by fusicoccin and suppressed by abscisic acid. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 337: 345–350. , , .
- 1990. Reversible light activation of the phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase protein-serine kinase in maize leaves. FEBS Letters 275: 25–28. , , , .
- 1988. Temperature effects on malic-acid efflux from the vacuoles and on the carboxylation pathways in Crassulacean acid metabolism plants. Planta 174: 453–461. , , , .
- 1996. The light-dependent transduction pathway controlling the regulatory phosphorylation of C4 phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in protoplasts from Digitaria sanguinalis. Plant Cell 8: 573–586. , , , , , .
- 1995. The eukaryotic protein kinase superfamily: kinase catalytic domain structure and classification. FASEB Journal 9: 576–596. & .
- 1999a. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase is a novel protein kinase regulated at the level of expression. Plant Journal 20: 333–342. , , , , , .
- 1999b. The light induction of maize phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase translatable mRNA requires transcription but not translation. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 883–889. , , , .
- 1996. Higher plant phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase is regulated at the level of translatable mRNA in response to light or a circadian rhythm. Plant Journal 10: 1071–1078. , , , , .
- 1986. Changes in sensitivity to effectors of maize leaf phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase during light/dark transitions. Plant Physiology 81: 674–677. & .
- 1988. Light/dark regulation of maize leaf phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase by in vivo phosphorylation. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 261: 409–417. & .
- 1991. Protein turnover as a component in the light/dark regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase protein-serine kinase activity in C4 plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 2712–2715. , , , .
- 1983. Photoregulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in Salsola soda L. and other C4 plants. Plant Physiology 73: 735–739. , , .
- 1988. Regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in crassulacean acid metabolism: in vitro phosphorylation of the enzyme. Journal of Plant Physiology 133: 252–256. , , , , .
- 1993. Sorghum phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase gene family: structure, function and molecular evolution. Plant Molecular Biology 21: 487–502. , , , , .
- 1991. Illumination increases the phosphorylation state of maize leaf phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase by causing an increase in the activity of a protein kinase. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1093: 189–195. , , , , .
- 1998. Circadian regulation of a plant protein kinase. Chronobiology International 15: 109–118. .
- 2000. The regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in CAM plants. Trends in Plant Science 5: 75–80. .
- 1987a. Changes in the kinetic properties and phosphorylation state of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in Zea mays leaves in response to light and dark. FEBS Letters 213: 18–22. , , , , .
- 1984. Diurnal changes in the properties of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in Bryophyllum leaves: a possible covalent modification. FEBS Letters 178: 199–203. , , , .
- 1986. Purification of the phosphorylated night form and dephosphorylated day form of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from Bryophyllum fedtschenkoi. Biochemical Journal 239: 213–220. , , , , .
- 1987b. Persistent circadian rhythms in the phosphorylation state of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from Bryophyllum fedtschenkoi leaves and in its sensitivity to inhibition by malate. Planta 170: 408–415. , , , .
- 2001. Partial purification and characterization of a protein inhibitor of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase. Planta 213: (In press.). , , .
- 1981. Crassulacean acid metabolism. In: Hatch MD, Boardman NA, eds. The biochemistry of plants. New York, USA: Academic Press, 283–370. & .
- 1996. In vivo and in vitro phosphorylation of the phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from wheat seeds during germination. Plant Physiology 111: 551–558. , , , , .
- 1999. Evidence for a slow-turnover form of the Ca2+-independent phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase in the aleurone-endosperm tissue of germinating barley seeds. Plant Physiology 119: 511–520. , , , , , , .
- 2000. A minimal serine/ threonine protein kinase circadianly regulates phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase activity in Crassulacean acid metabolism-induced leaves of the common ice plant. Plant Physiology 123: 1471–1481. , , , .
- 1992. NO3− enhances the kinase activity for phosphorylation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase and sucrose phosphate synthase proteins in wheat leaves. Evidence from the effects of mannose and okadaic acid. Plant Physiology 99: 344–347. & .
- 1991. Effect of light and NO3− on wheat leaf phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase activity: evidence for covalent modification of the C3 enzyme. Plant Physiology 97: 1476–1482. , , .
- 1997. Regulatory phosphorylation of C4 PEP carboxylase. Trends in Plant Science 2: 230–237. & .
- 1993. Partial purification and characterization of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase protein-serine kinase from illuminated maize leaves. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 304: 496–502. & .
- 1994. In vivo phosphorylation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from the facultative CAM plant Mesembryanthemum crystallinum. Journal of Plant Physiology 144: 654–660. .
- 1992. Circadian rhythms: their origin and control. New Phytologist 121: 347–375. .
- 1995. In vivo regulatory phosphorylation of soybean nodule phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase. Plant Physiology 108: 1561–1568. , , .