Early signalling events in the apoplastic oxidative burst in suspension cultured French bean cells involve cAMP and Ca2+
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 151, Issue 1, pages 185–194, July 2001
How to Cite
Bindschedler, L. V., Minibayeva, F., Gardner, S. L., Gerrish, C., Davies, D. R. and Bolwell, G. P. (2001), Early signalling events in the apoplastic oxidative burst in suspension cultured French bean cells involve cAMP and Ca2+. New Phytologist, 151: 185–194. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00170.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 26 February 2001 Accepted: 21 March 2001
- 1998. Activation of a plant plasma membrane Ca2+ channel by TGα1, a heterotrimeric G protein α-subunit homologue. FEBS Letters 424: 17–21. , , , .
- 1999. Phosphorylation of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase: evidence for a novel protein kinase and identification of the phosphorylated residue. FEBS Letters 457: 47–52. , , , , .
- 2000. A high affinity calmodulin-binding site in a tobacco plasma-membrane channel protein coincides with a characteristic element of cyclic-nucleotide-binding domains. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 591–601. , , .
- 1995. Cyclic-AMP As a 2nd Messenger in Higher-Plants – Status and Future-Prospects. Plant Physiology 108: 885–889. .
- 1995. Plasma-membrane redox enzyme is involved in the synthesis of O2−and H2O2 by Phytophthora elicitor-simulated rose cells. Plant Physiology 107: 1241–1247. & .
- 1995. Cholera toxin elevates pathogen resistance and induces pathogenesis-related gene expression in tobacco. EMBO Journal 14: 5753–5761. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Receptor-mediated increase in cytoplasmic free calcium required for activation of pathogen defense in parsley. The Plant Cell 12: 1425–1440. , , , .
- 1992. A role for phosphorylation in the down-regulation of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase in suspension-cultured cells of French bean. Phytochemistry 31: 4081–4086. .
- 1995. Cyclic AMP the reluctant messenger in plant cells. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 20: 492–495. .
- 1996. The origin of the oxidative burst in plants. Biochemical Society Transactions 24: 438–442. .
- 1999. Role of active oxygen species and NO in plant defence responses. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 287–294. .
- 1999. Recent advances in understanding the origin of the apoplastic oxidative burst in plant cells. Free Radical Research 31: S137–S145. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The origin of the oxidative burst in plants. Free Radical Research 23: 517–532. , , , .
- 1991. Modulation of the elicitation response in cultured French bean cells and its implication for the mechanism of signal transduction. Phytochemistry 30: 397–405. , , , , .
- 1998. Comparative biochemistry of the oxidative burst produced by rose and French bean cells reveals two distinct mechanisms. Plant Physiology 116: 1379–1385. , , , , .
- 1999. MAP kinase activation by hypoosmotic stress in tobacco cell suspensions: towards the oxidative burst response? Plant Journal 19: 297–307. , , , , , .
- 1997. Measurement of Ca2+ fluxes during elicitation of the oxidative burst in aequorin-transformed tobacco cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 28274–28280. & .
- 2000. NO way back: nitric oxide and programmed cell death in Arabidopsis thaliana suspension cultures. Plant Journal 24: 667–677. , , , , .
- 2000. The Arabidopsis dnd1 ‘defense, not death’ gene encodes a mutated cyclic nucleotide gated ion channel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 9323–9328. , , , , , .
- 1994. Evidence that cyclic-AMP is involved in the hypersensitive response of Medicago sativa to a fungal elicitor. Phytochemistry 35: 889–895. , , , .
- 1979. Stimulation of de novo synthesis of l-phenylammonia-lyase in relation to phytoalexinaccumulation of Colletotrichum lindemuthianum elicitor-treated cell suspension cultures of French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris). Biochimica Biophysica Acta 586: 453–463. & .
- 1998. Defense gene induction in tobacco by nitric oxide, cyclic GMP, and cyclic ADP-ribose. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 10328–10333. , , .
- 2000. Phytophthora parasitica elicitor-induced reactions in cells of Petroselinum crispum. Plant Cell Physiology 41: 692–701. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The RPM1 plant disease resistance gene facilitates a rapid and sustained increase in cytosolic calcium that is necessary for the oxidative burst and hypersensitive cell death. Plant Journal 23: 441–450. , , , , , .
- 1999. Hydroperoxide assay with the ferric-xylenol orange complex. Analytical Biochemistry 273: 149–155. , , .
- 1998. Potention of the oxidative burst and isoflavonoid phytoalexin accumulation by serine protease inhibitors. Plant Physiology 118: 1487–1494. , , .
- 1997. Transgenic tobacco expressing a foreign calmodulin gene shows an enhanced production of active oxygen species. The EMBO Journal 16: 1137–1144. , , .
- 1998. Incompatible pathogen infection results in enhanced reactive oxygen and cell death responses in transgenic tobacco expressing a hyperactive mutant calmodulin. Planta 206: 253–258. & .
- 2000. Plant Rac proteins induce superoxide production in mammalian cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 272: 783–788. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The small GTP-binding protein Rac is a regulator of cell death in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 10922–10926. , , , , , , .
- 1998. A plant homolog of the neutrophil NADPH oxidase gp91phox subunit gene encodes a plasma membrane protein with Ca2+ binding motifs. Plant Cell 10: 255–266. , , , , , .
- 1999. Characterisation of a novel gene family of putative cyclic nucleotide- and calmodulin-regulated ion channels in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 18: 97–104. , , .
- 1993. Synthesis and degradation of cyclic-AMP in cultured carrot cells treated with forskolin. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 303: 177–179. , , .
- 1993. Stimulation of calcium influx and calcium cascade by cyclic-AMP in cultured carrot cells. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 302: 144–151. & .
- 1997. The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 251–275. & .
- 1999. Cloning and first function characterization of a plant cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel. Plant Physiology 121: 753–761. , , , .
- 1994. Cyclic-AMP stimulates K+ channel activity in mesophyll cells of Vicia faba K. Plant Physiology 106: 957–961. , , , .
- 1999. Cyclic nucleotides in higher plants: the enduring paradox. New Phytologist 143: 427–455. , , , .
- 1998. Rapid, Cf-9- and Avr9-dependent production of active oxygen species in tobacco suspension cultures. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 11: 1155–1166. , , , .
- 2000. Cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channels mediate sodium and calcium influx in rat colon. American Journal of Physiology and Cell Physiology 278: C336–C343. , , , , , .
- 1999. Early events in the signal pathway for the oxidative burst in soybean cells exposed to avirulent Pseudomonas syringae pv. Glycinea. Plant Physiology 120: 1137–1146. , , .
- 1995. Rapid changes in oxidative metabolism as a consequence of elicitor treatment of suspension-cultured cells of French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Plant Molecular Biology 27: 59–67. , , , , .
- 2000. Resistance gene-dependent activation of a calcium-dependent protein kinase in the plant defense response. Plant Cell 12: 803–815. , , .
- 1998. Resistance response physiology and signal transduction. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 305–310. .
- 1998. Protein kinases and phosphatases and their role in cellular signalling in plants. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 17: 245–318. & .
- 1998. Induction of alkalinization and an oxidative burst by low doses of cycloheximide in soybean cells. Planta 206: 666–672. & .
- 1998. Six Arabidopsis thaliana homologues of the human respiratory burst oxidase (gp91phox). Plant Journal 14: 365–370. , , , , , .
- 1998. Ca2+ and intracellular signaling in plant cell: Role in phytochrome transduction. Biologicheskie Membrany 15: 573–587. .
- 1998. Second messengers mediate increases in cytosolic calcium in tobacco protoplasts. Plant Physiology 117: 1023–1030. , , , .
- 1997. Mechanisms for the generation of reactive oxygen species in plant defence – a broad persepective. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 51: 347–366. & .