Heterotrimeric G-proteins in plant cell signaling
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 151, Issue 1, pages 165–174, July 2001
How to Cite
Millner, P. A. (2001), Heterotrimeric G-proteins in plant cell signaling. New Phytologist, 151: 165–174. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2001.00172.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 27 November 2000 Accepted: 27 March 2001
- 1998. Activation of a plant plasma membrane Ca2+ channel by TGα1, a heterotrimeric G protein α-subunit homologue. FEBS Letters 424: 17–21. , , , .
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST; a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acid Research 25: 3389–3402. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Evidence for K+ channel control in Vicia guard-cells coupled by G-proteins to a 7TMS receptor mimetic. Plant Journal 8: 187–198. & .
- 1997. Isolation of an AP-1 repressor by a novel method for detecting protein– protein interactions. Molecular and Cellular Biology 17: 3094–3102. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of a single-chain Fv antibody against abscisic-acid creates a wilty phenotype in transgenic tobacco. Plant Journal 8: 745–750. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Rice gibberellin-insensitive dwarf mutant gene Dwarf 1 encodes the alpha-subunit of GTP-binding protein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 10284–10289. , , , , .
- 1995. Cholera-toxin elevates pathogen resistance and induces pathogenesis-related gene-expression in tobacco. Embo Journal 14: 5753–5761. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Identification and isoprenylation of plant GTP-binding proteins. Plant Molecular Biology 31: 1021–1028. , , .
- 1997. Structural aspects of heterotrimeric G-protein signaling. Current Opinions in Biotechnology 8: 480–487. , , .
- 1990. The GTPase superfamily – a conserved switch for diverse cell functions. Nature 348: 125–132. , , .
- 1991. The GTPase superfamily – conserved structure and molecular mechanism. Nature 349: 117–127. , , .
- 1998. Investigating molecular interactions of the plant G-protein α-subunit, GPα1. PhD thesis, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK. .
- 1991. Specific activation of Gs by synthetic peptides corresponding to an intracellular loop of the beta-adrenergic-receptor. FEBS Letters 279: 277–280. , , , .
- 1991. The 2-hybrid system – a method to identify and clone genes for proteins that interact with a protein of interest. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 9578–9582. , , , .
- 1997. G protein βγ subunits. Annual Review of Pharmacology 37: 167–203. & .
- 1993. Structural elements of Gα-subunits that interact with Gβγ, receptors, and effectors. Cell 73: 631–641. & .
- 1993. Substitution of 3 amino-acids switches receptor specificity of G (q) alpha to that of G (i) alpha. Nature 363: 274–276. , , , , .
- 1998. Compartment-specific accumulation of recombinant immunoglobulins in plant cells: an essential tool for antibody production and immunomodulation of physiological functions and pathogen activity. Plant Molecular Biology 38: 101–109. & .
- 1998. Putative involvement of cytosolic Ca2+ and GTP-binding proteins in cyclic-GMP-mediated induction of stomatal opening by auxin in Commelina communis L. Planta 206: 308–314. & .
- 1996. The yeast two-hybrid system: Prospects for protein linkage maps. Trends in Cell Biology 6: 196–199. , , .
- 1997. Cell signaling through guanine-nucleotide-binding regulatory proteins (G proteins) and phospholipases. European Journal of Biochemistry 243: 10–20. .
- 1991. Evidence for G-protein regulation of inward K+ channel current in guard-cells of fava-bean. Plant Cell 3: 1037–1044. & .
- 1994. Peptides derived from the auxin binding protein C-terminus elevate Ca2+ and pH in stomatal guard cells of Vicia faba: a confocal fluorescence ratio imaging study. SEB Symposium 48: 215–228. , , , , .
- 1999. Suppression of the heterotrimeric G protein causes abnormal morphology, including dwarfism, in rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 7575–7580. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The G-protein beta gamma complex. Cell Sign 10: 447–455. , , , .
- 1996. Characterisation of transducing elements downstream of the auxin binding protein. PhD thesis, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK. .
- 1998. The many faces of G protein signaling. Journal of Biological Chemistry 273: 669–672. .
- 1999. Initial signaling processes induced by elicitors of ectomycorrhiza-forming fungi in spruce cells can also be triggered by G-protein-activating mastoparan and protein phosphatase-inhibiting cantharidin. Planta 207: 418–425. , , .
- 1997. Vision in microalgae. Planta 203: 265–274. .
- 1990. Regulation of Gi and Go by mastoparan, related amphiphilic peptides, and hydrophobic amines – mechanism and structural determinants of activity. Journal of Biological Chemistry 265: 14176–14186. , , .
- 1999. Mastoparan analogues stimulate phospholipase C- and phospholipase d-activity in Chlamydomonas: a comparative study. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1735–1742. , , , , , .
- 2001. Seven transmembrane receptors and G-protein signaling. New Phytologist (In press.). .
- 1998. The Physcomitrella patens GPα1 homologue is located at protonemal cell junctions. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1113–1118. , , .
- 1998. Abscisic acid induction of GTP hydrolysis in maize coleoptile plasma membranes. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 539–546. .
- 1993. Isolation of cDNA of an auxin-regulated gene encoding a G-protein beta-subunit-like protein from tobacco BY2 cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 11152–11156. , , .
- 1999. Abscisic acid signal transduction in guard cells is mediated by phospholipase D activity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 12192– 12197. , , , .
- 1988. Specific guanine-nucleotide binding by membranes from Cucurbita-pepo seedlings. Biochemistry and Biophysics Research Communications 155: 1478–1484. , , , , .
- 1998. Heterotrimeric G proteins are implicated in gibberellin induction of alpha-amylase gene expression in wild oat aleurone. Plant Cell 10: 245–253. , , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular characterization of cDNAs encoding G protein alpha and beta subunits and study of their temporal and spatial expression patterns in Nicotiana Plumbaginifolia Viv. Biochemica Biophysica Acta-Gene Structure and Expression 1491: 143–160. , , , .
- 1994. Mastoparan may activate GTP hydrolysis by G (i)-proteins in HL-60 membranes indirectly through interaction with nucleoside diphosphate kinase. Biochemistry Journal 304: 377–383. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Activation of GTP formation and high-affinity GTP hydrolysis by mastoparan in various cell membranes – G-protein activation via nucleoside diphosphate kinase, a possible general mechanism of mastoparan action. Biochemical Pharmacology 51: 217–223. , , , .
- 1994. GCRDB – A G-protein-coupled receptor database. Receptors and Channels 2: 1–7. .
- 1993. Characterization of the oligogalacturonide-induced oxidative burst in cultured soybean (Glycine-max) cells. Plant Physiology 102: 233–240. , , , .
- 1993. Characterization of a G-protein-regulated outward K+ current in mesophyll-cells of Vicia-faba L. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 262–266. & .
- 1993. Antagonism of catecholamine receptor signaling by expression of cytoplasmic domains of the receptors. Science 259: 1453–1457. , , , , .
- 1990. Molecular cloning and characterization of GPA1, a G protein α-subunit gene from Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 3821–3825. , , .
- 2000. Completing the heterotrimer: Isolation and characterization of an Arabidopsis thaliana G-protein gamma subunit cDNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 14784–14788. & .
- 1995. Are G-proteins involved with nitrate signal-transduction in plants? Plant Physiology 108: 100. , , .
- 1999. Molecular characteristics and cellular roles of guanine nucleotide binding proteins in plant cells. In: HooykaasPJJ, HallMA, LibbengaKR, eds. New comprehensive biochemistry, vol 33; biochemistry and molecular biology of plant hormones. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Elsevier, 315–336. & .
- 1996. Synthetic peptides as probes of plant cell signaling – G-proteins and the auxin signaling pathway. Plant Growth Regulators 18: 143–147. , , .
- 1998. Detailed analysis of the turnover of polyphosphoinositides and phosphatidic acid upon activation of phospholipases C and D in Chlamydomonas cells treated with non- permeabilizing concentrations of mastoparan. Planta 207: 133–145. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of auxin and light-regulated arrestin-like proteins, G proteins and nucleoside diphosphate kinase during induction and development of wheat sornatic embryos. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 38: 483–490. , , , , , .
- 1994. The ancient regulatory-protein family of WD-repeat proteins. Nature 371: 297– 300. , , , .
- 1993. Calcium/calmodulin-dependent and calcium/calmodulin-independent phytochrome signal-transduction pathways. Cell 73: 937–952. , , , .
- 1994. Antibody fragments from a single pot phage display library as immunochemical reagents. EMBO Journal 13: 692–698. , , , , , , .
- 1993. The 2.2 Å crystal structure of transducin-alpha complexed with GTPγS. Nature 366: 654–663. , , .
- 2000. Plant heterotrimeric G protein beta subunit is associated with membranes via protein interactions involving coiled-coil formation. FEBS Letters 476: 208–212. , , .
- 1989. Mapping of beta- adrenoceptor coupling domains to Gs-protein by site-specific synthetic peptides. FEBS Letts 254: 89–93. , , , .
- 1999. Analysis of flanking sequences from Dissociation insertion lines: a database for reverse genetics in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 11: 2263–2270. , , , , , .
- 1995. GTP-binding proteins. 1 Heterotrimeric G Proteins Protein Profile 2: 167–177. .
- 2000. Heterotrimeric G-protein β-subunit is localized in the plasma membrane and nuclei of tobacco leaves. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 915–922. & .
- 1995. VISTAS – A package for visualizing structures and sequences of proteins. Journal of Molecular Graphics 13: 73–75. & .
- 1997. Detection and characterization of GTP-binding proteins on tonoplast of Spinacia oleracea. Plant Science 122: 23–33. , , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular cloning, spatial and temporal characterization of spinach SOGA1 cDNA, encoding an alpha subunit of G protein. Gene 248: 191–201. , , , .
- 1999. Early events in the signal pathway for the oxidative burst in soybean cells exposed to avirulent Pseudomonas syringae pv. Glycinea. Plant Physiology 120: 1137–1146. , , .
- 1992. A site on rod G-protein alpha-subunit that mediates effector activation. Science 256: 1031–1033. , , .
- 1995. Detection and purification of a Gαo-protein from Sorghum bicolor. Journal of Plant Physiology 146: 645–651. , , , , .
- 1999. A redox-dependent, G-protein-coupled phospholipase A of the plasma membrane is involved in the elicitation of alkaloid biosynthesis in Eschscholtzia californica. Biochemica Biophysica Acta-Molecular Cell Research 1448: 390–402. , , , , , .
- 1999. The alpha-subunit of a heterotrimeric G-protein from tobacco, NtGPα1, functions in K+ channel regulation in mesophyll cells. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 53–61. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The C-terminal KDEL sequence increases the expression level of a single-chain antibody designed to be targeted to both the cytosol and the secretory pathway in transgenic tobacco. Plant Molecular Biology 30: 781–793. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. G protein regulation of adenylate cyclase. Trends in Pharmacological Science 20: 66–73. .
- 1997. Regulation of eukaryotic phosphatidylinositol-specific phospholipase C and phospholipase D. Annual Review of Biochemistry 66: 475–509. , , .
- 1999. G protein gated potassium channels. Ion Channel Regulation 33: 179–201. , , , , .
- 1992. G-protein-bound conformation of mastoparan-X, a receptor-mimetic peptide. Journal of Biological Chemistry 267: 21421–21424. & .
- 2000. Gibberellin signal transduction. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 3: 374–380. .
- 1993. Modulation of K+ channels in Vicia stomatal guard-cells by peptide homologues to the auxin-binding protein-C terminus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 11493–11497. , , , , .
- 1994. Clustal-W – improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 1998. Recent advances in the regulation of plant calcium channels: evidence for regulation by G-proteins, the cytoskeleton and second messengers. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 424–427. , , .
- 2000. Rice dwarf mutant d1, which is defective in the α subunit of the heterotrimeric G protein, affects gibberellin signal transduction. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 1638–11643. , , , , , , .
- 1999. GTP binding activity of membrane proteins in isolated barley embryo is enhanced by abscisic acid. Plant Science 148: 139–145. , , .
- 1997. Activation of phospholipase D by calmodulin antagonists and mastoparan in carnation petals. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1631–1637. & .
- 1995. The structure of the G protein heterotrimer Giα1β1γ2. Cell 83: 1047–1058. , , , , , , .
- 1991. A blue-light-activated GTP-binding protein in the plasma-membranes of etiolated peas. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. USA 88: 8925–8929. , , , .
- 1994. The G-protein linked receptor factsbook. London, UK: Academic Press Ltd. & .
- 1997. Two inward K+ channels in the xylem parenchyma cells of barley roots are regulated by G-protein modulators through a membrane-delimited pathway. Planta 203: 506–516. & .
- 1994. Isolation of cDNAs encoding guanine-nucleotide-binding protein beta-subunit homologs from maize (ZGB1) and arabidopsis (AGB1). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 9554–9558. , , , , .
- 1993. Immunolocalization of the G-protein alpha-subunit encoded by the GPA1 gene in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 5: 1513–1528. , , .
- 1997. The G protein alpha subunit (GP alpha 1) is associated with the ER and the plasma membrane in meristematic cells of Arabidopsis and cauliflower. FEBS Letters 407: 361–367. , , , .
- 1993. Evidence for G-protein linked receptors in plants: stimulation of GTPγS binding to membrane fractions by the mastoparan analogue mas 7. Planta 191: 285–288. , , .
- 1994. Isolation of a putative receptor from Zea mays microsomal membranes that interacts with the G-protein GPα1. FEBS Letters 356: 233–237. , , , .
- 2000. Antibody-mediated improved resistance to ClYVV and PVY infections in transgenic tobacco plants expressing a single-chain variable region antibody. Molecular Breeding 6: 421–431. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Identification of G proteins mediating fungal elicitor-induced dephosphorylation of host plasma membrane H+-ATPase. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 229–237. , , .
- 1999. Mapping signal transduction pathways by phage display. Nature Biotechnology 17: 1193–1198. , , , , .