Arbuscular mycorrhizas influence plant diversity and community structure in a semiarid herbland
Article first published online: 4 APR 2002
Volume 154, Issue 1, pages 209–218, April 2002
How to Cite
O’Connor, P. J., Smith, S. E. and Smith, F. A. (2002), Arbuscular mycorrhizas influence plant diversity and community structure in a semiarid herbland. New Phytologist, 154: 209–218. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00364.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2002
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2002
- Received: 2 July 2001 Accepted: 12 November 2001
- 1995. Enrichment, isolation and counting of microorganisms. In: AlefK, NannipieriP, eds. Methods in applied soil microbiology and biochemistry. London, UK: Academic Press, 145–173. .
- 1988. Mycorrhizal infection and plant species diversity. Nature 154: 202. , .
- 1992. A field study using the fungicide benomyl to investigate the effect of mycorrhizal fungi on plant fitness. Oecologia 90: 550–555. , , .
- 1963. The estimation of phosphorus fertilizer requirement of wheat in southern New South Wales by soil analysis. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture and Animal Husbandry 3: 190–197. .
- 1999. Characterisation of two arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in symbiosis with Allium porrum L. I. Colonisation, plant growth and P uptake. New Phytologist 141. , , .
- 1999. Interactive effects of arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis, intraspecific competition and resource availability on Trifolium subterraneum cv. Mt. Barker. New Phytologist 141: 535–547. , , , .
- 1986. Effect of benomyl on leaf phosphorus concentration in alpine grasslands: a test of mycorrhizal benefit. New Phytologist 103: 767–776. .
- 1995. Mutualism and antagonism in the mycorrhizal symbiosis, with special reference to impacts on plant community structure. Canadian Journal of Botany 73: 1301–1309. , .
- 1990. A test of mycorrhizal benefit in an early successional plant community. New Phytologist 115: 85–91. , , .
- 1980. An evaluation of techniques for measuring vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal infection in roots. New Phytologist 84: 489–500. , .
- 1997. Biodiversity and ecosystem function: the debate deepens. Science 277: 1260–1261. .
- 1987. Floristic diversity in a model system using experimental microcosms. Nature 328: 420–422. , , , .
- 1999. Mycorrhizae influence plant community structure and diversity in tallgrass prairie. Ecology 80: 1187–1195. , .
- 1993. Mycorrhizal influence on intra- and interspecific neighbour interactions among co-occurring prairie grasses. Journal of Ecology 81: 787–795. , , , .
- 1999. Plant diversity and productivity experiments in European grasslands. Science 286: 1123–1127. .
- 1997. The effects of plant composition and diversity on ecosystem processes. Science 277: 1302–1305. , .
- 1997. Hidden treatments in ecological experiments: re-evaluating the ecosystem function of biodiversity. Oecologia 110: 449–460. .
- 1997. Functioning of mycorrhizal associations along the mutualism–parasitism continuum. New Phytologist 135: 575–585. , , .
- 1991. Density-dependent response to mycorrhizal infection in Abutilon theophrasti Medic. Oecologia 85: 389–395. .
- 1991. Mycorrhizal fungi and the nutrient ecology of three old field annual plant species. Oecologia 85: 403–412. , .
- 1982. Quantification of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae in plant roots. In: SchenkNC, ed. Methods and principles of mycorrhizal research. St Paul, MN, USA: The American Phytopathological Society, 37–46. , .
- 1996. Benomyl inhibits phosphorus transport but not fungal alkaline phosphatase activity in a Glomus–cucumber symbiosis. New Phytologist 132: 127–133. , , , .
- 1996. Phosphorus nutrition of an obligately mycorrhizal plant treated with the fungicide benomyl in the field. New Phytologist 132: 307–311. , .
- 1994. Declining biodiversity can alter the performance of ecosystems. Nature 368: 734–736. , , , , .
- 1992. Interactions between plants: the role of mycorrhizae. Mycorrhiza 1: 47–53. , , , .
- 1994. Root pathogenic and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi determine fecundity of asymptomatic plants in the field. Journal of Ecology 82: 805–814. , , .
- 1995. Arbuscular mycorrhiza protect an annual grass from root pathogenic fungi in the field. Journal of Ecology 83: 991–1000. , , .
- 2001. Influences of arbuscular mycorrhizas on a semi-arid plant community. PhD thesis, Adelaide University, Adelaide, Australia. .
- 1997. Limitations to using benomyl in evaluating mycorrhizal functioning. Biology and Fertility of Soils 25: 163–168. , .
- 1994. Water relations and alleviation of drought stress in mycorrhizal plants. In: GianinazziS, SchueppH, eds. Impact of arbuscular mycorrhiza on sustainable agriculture and natural ecosystems. Basle, Switzerland: Birkhauser-Verlag, 167–178. , .
- 1994. Nutrient acquisition and community structure in CO-occurring mycotrophic and non-mycotrophic old field annuals. Functional Ecology 8: 77–84. , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizae, biocides, and biocontrol. 3. Effects of three different fungicides on developmental stages of three AM fungi. Biology and Fertility of Soils 24: 18–26. , .
- 1999. Interacting influence of mycorrhizal symbiosis and competition on plant diversity in tallgrass prairie. Oecologia 121: 574–582. , , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis, 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press. , .
- 1998. Species loss and ecosystem functioning: effects of species identity and community composition. Oikos 81: 389–397. , , , .
- 1985. Phosphate inflow into Trifolium subterraneum L. effects of photon irradiance and mycorrhizal infection. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 17: 807–810. , , .
- 1997. The influence of functional diversity and composition on ecosystem processes. Science 277: 1300–1302. , , , , , .
- 1996. Productivity and sustainability influenced by biodiversity in grassland systems. Nature 379: 718–720. , , .
- 1948. Rainfall, vegetation and drought frequency in South Australia. South Australian Journal of Agriculture 52: 55–64. .
- 1998a. Different arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal species are potential determinants of plant community structure. Ecology 79: 2082–2091. , , , .
- 1998b. Mycorrhizal fungal diversity determines plant biodiversity, ecosystem variability and productivity. Nature 396: 69–72. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Is ‘sampling effect’ a problem for experiments investigating biodiversity-ecosystem function relationships? Oikos 87: 303–307. .
- 2000. Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: importance of species evenness in an old field. Ecology 81: 887–892. , .
- 1997. Effects of mycorrhizae on plant growth and dynamics in experimental tallgrass prairie microcosms. American Journal of Botany 84: 478–482. , .
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis, 2nd edn. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. .