Herbaspirillum colonization increases growth and nitrogen accumulation in aluminium-tolerant rice varieties
Article first published online: 4 APR 2002
Volume 154, Issue 1, pages 131–145, April 2002
How to Cite
Gyaneshwar, P., James, E. K., Reddy, P. M. and Ladha, J. K. (2002), Herbaspirillum colonization increases growth and nitrogen accumulation in aluminium-tolerant rice varieties. New Phytologist, 154: 131–145. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00371.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2002
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2002
- Received: 10 August 2001 Accepted: 14 November 2001
- 1986. Characterization of Herbaspirillum seropedicae gen. nov., sp. nov., a root associated nitrogen fixing bacterium. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 154: 86–93. , , , .
- 1996. Emended description of Herbaspirillum; inclusion of (Pseudomonas) rubrisubalbicans, a mild plant pathogen, as Herbaspirillum rubrisubalbicans comb. nov. & classification of a group of clinical isolates (EF group 1) as Herbaspirillum species 3. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 46: 802–810. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Inoculation of rice plants with the endophytic diazotrophs Herbaspirillum seropedicae and Burkholderia spp. Biology and Fertility of Soils 30: 485–489. , , .
- 1997. Isolation of endophytic bacteria from wetland rice. Plant and Soil 194: 15–24. , , .
- 1998. Production of indole-3-acetic acid and gibberelins GA1 and GA3 by Acetobacter diazotrophicus and Herbaspirillum seropedicae in chemically defined culture media. Plant Growth Regulation 24: 7–11. , , , , , .
- 1995. Biological nitrogen fixation associated with sugar cane and rice: contributions and prospects for improvement. Plant and Soil 174: 195–209. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Assessment of bacterial nitrogen fixation in grass species. In: TriplettEW, ed. Prokaryotic nitrogen fixation: a model system for analysis of a biological process. Wymondham, UK: Horizon Scientific Press, 705–726. , , , , .
- 2000. Immunolocalization of dinitrogen reductase produced by Klebsiella pneumoniae in association with Zea mays. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66: 783–787. , .
- 1992. Associative N2 fixation and root exudation of organic acids from wheat cultivars of different aluminum tolerance. Plant and Soil 139: 167–174. , , .
- 1999. Endophytic expression of nif genes of Azoarcus sp. strain BH72 in rice roots. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 12: 813–819. , , .
- 2000. Preferential occurrence of diazotrophic endophyte, Azoarcus sp. in wild rice species and land races of Oryza sativa in comparison with modern races. Environmental Microbiology 2: 131–141. , , .
- 1957. The infection of clover root hairs by nodule bacteria studied by a simple glass slide technique. Journal of General Microbiology 16: 374–381. .
- 2001. Endophytic colonization of rice by a diazotrophic strain of Serratia marcescens. Journal of Bacteriology 183: 2634–2645. , , , , , .
- 1994. Root colonization and systemic spreading of Azoarcus sp. strain BH72 in grasses. Journal of Bacteriology 176: 1913–1923. , , , .
- 2000. Nitrogen fixation in endophytic and associative symbiosis. Field Crops Research 65: 197–209. .
- 1998. Infection and colonization of sugar cane and other graminaceous plants by endophytic diazotrophs. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 17: 77–119. , .
- 1994. Infection of sugarcane by the nitrogen-fixing bacterium Acetobacter diazotrophicus. Journal of Experimental Botany 275: 757–766. , , , , .
- 1997. Herbaspirillum, an endophytic diazotroph colonizing vascular tissue in the leaves of Sorghum bicolor L. Moench. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 785–797. , , , .
- 2000. Endophytic diazotrophs associated with rice. In: LadhaJK, ReddyPM eds. The quest for nitrogen fixation in rice, 119–140. Makati City, The Philippines: International Rice Research Institute. , , , , .
- 1987. GUS fusions: β-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 1993. Automated elemental analysis: a rapid and reliable but expensive measurement of total carbon and nitrogen in plant and soil samples. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 24: 1897–1924. , .
- 1996. Variability and genetics for tolerance to aluminum toxicity in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 93: 738–744. , , , .
- 1999. Phosphate solubilization by organic anion excretion from rice growing in aerobic soil: rates of excretion and decomposition, effects on rhizosphere pH and effects on phosphate solubility and uptake. New Phytologist 142: 185–200. , , .
- 1995. Extension of nitrogen fixation to rice – necessity and possibilities. Geojournal 35: 363–372. , .
- 2000. Steps towards nitrogen fixation in rice. In: LadhaJK, ReddyPM eds. The quest for nitrogen fixation in rice, 36–46. Makati City, The Philippines: International Rice Research Institute. , .
- 1986. Plant associated N2-fixation (C2H2 reduction) by five rice varieties and relationship with plant growth characters as affected by straw incorporation. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 32: 91–106. , , , , , .
- 2000. Aluminum tolerance genes on the short arm of chromosome 3R are linked to organic acid release in Triticale. Plant Physiology 122: 687–694. , , .
- 1999. Influence of available nitrogen and rice genotype on associative nitrogen fixation. Soil Science Society of America Journal 63: 93–99. , .
- 2001. Isolation and 16S rRNA sequence analysis of the beneficial bacteria from the rhizosphere of rice. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 47: 110–117. , , , , , , .
- 1986. The fate of marker Azospirillum lipoferum inoculated into rice and its effect on growth yield and N2-fixation of plants studied by acetylene reduction, 15N2 feeding and 15N dilution techniques. Biology and Fertility of Soils 2: 7–14. , , .
- 2000. Establishment of Azorhizobium caulinodans on the rhizosphere of wetland rice (Oryza sativa L.). Biology and Fertility of Soils 31: 143–149. , , , .
- 2001. Dinitrogen fixation activity of Azorhizobium caulinodans in the rice (Oryza sativa L.) rhizosphere assessed by nitrogen balance and nitrogen-15 dilution methods. Biology and Fertility of Soils 33: 25–32. , , , .
- 1996. Occurence of the endophytic diazotrophs Herbaspivillum spp. in roots, stems and leaves predominantly of Graminede. Biology and Fertility of Soils 21: 197–200. , , , , .
- 1997. Infection of mottled stripe disease susceptible and resistant varieties of sugarcane by the endophytic diazotroph Herbaspirillum. New Phytologist 35: 723–737. , , , .
- 1995. Organic acid exudation as an aluminum-tolerance mechanism in maize. Planta 196: 788–795. , , .
- 1992. Biological N2 fixation in wetland rice fields: estimations and contribution to nitrogen balance. Plant and Soil 141: 41–55. , .
- 2000. Evaluation of lacZ and gusA marker for studying rhizobial colonization of rice roots. Indian Journal of Microbiology 40: 15–20. , , , , , .
- 1996. Genotypic variation in promotion of rice nitrogen fixation as determined by 15N dilution. Soil Science Society of America Journal 60: 1815–1821. , .
- 2000. Azospirillum, a free-living nitrogen-fixing bacterium closely associated with grasses: genetic, biochemical and ecological aspects. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 24: 487–506. , .
- 1997. Isolation of endophytic bacteria from rice and assessment of their potential for supplying rice with biologically fixed nitrogen. Plant and Soil 194: 25–36. , , , , .
- 1995a. Remarkable N2-fixing bacterial diversity detected in rice roots by molecular evolutionary analysis of nifH gene sequences. Journal of Bacteriology 177: 1414–1417. , , , .
- 1995b. Genetic diversity of N2 fixing bacteria associated with rice roots by molecular evolutionary analysis of nifD library. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 41: 235–240. , , , .
- 1993. Spatial–temporal colonization patterns of Azospirillum brasilense on the wheat root surface and expression of the bacterial nifH gene during association. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 6: 592–600. , , , .
- 1994. Genomic fingerprinting of bacteria using repetitive sequence based polymerase chain reaction. Methods in Molecular and Cell Biology 5: 25–40. , , , .
- 1995. β-glucuronidase (GUS) transposons for ecological and genetic studies of rhizobia and other Gram negative bacteria. Microbiology 141: 1691–1705. , , , , , .
- 1999. Application of GUS marker gene technique to high-throughput screening of rhizobial competition. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 45: 678–685. , , .
- 2000. QTLs and epistasis for aluminum tolerance in rice (Orzya sativa L.) at different seedling stages. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 100: 1295–1303. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Molecular-marker-facilitated investigation on the ability to stimulate N2 fixation in the rhizosphere by irrigated rice plants. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 91: 1171–1183. , , , , .