Reproduction and offspring competitiveness of Senna obtusifolia are influenced by nutrient availability
Article first published online: 6 JUN 2002
Volume 154, Issue 3, pages 661–669, June 2002
How to Cite
Tungate, K. D., Susko, D. J. and Rufty, T. W. (2002), Reproduction and offspring competitiveness of Senna obtusifolia are influenced by nutrient availability. New Phytologist, 154: 661–669. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00407.x
- Issue published online: 6 JUN 2002
- Article first published online: 6 JUN 2002
- Received: 26 October 2001 Accepted: 28 January 2002
- 1990. Maternal effects at four nutrient levels in Senecio vulgaris (Asteraceae) grown on a soil nutrient gradient. American Journal of Botany 77: 1231–1240. , .
- 1992. Fecundity allocation in herbaceous plants. Oikos 65: 225–232. , .
- 1983. Grain protein percentage, kernel hardness, and grain yield of winter wheat with foliar applied urea. Agronomy Journal 75: 87–91. , , .
- 1966a. The growth of watercress (Rorippa aquaticum (L.) Hayek) from seed as affected by the phosphorus nutrition of the parent plant. Plant and Soil 24: 113–120. .
- 1966b. The influence of the phosphorous and nitrogen nutrition of pea plants on the growth of their progeny. Plant and Soil 24: 359–368. .
- 1998. Seeds: ecology, biogeography, and evolution of dormancy and germination. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1998. A comparative study of seed dormancy and germination in an annual and perennial species of Senna (Fabaceae). Seed Science Research 8: 501–512. , , .
- 1998. Nitrogen effects on triticale grain yield, amino acid composition, and feed nutritional quality for swine. Journal of Production Agriculture 11: 180–184. , , .
- 1991. Ecological correlates of seed mass variation in Phoradendron juniperinum, a xylem-tapping mistletoe. Oecologia 85: 332–342. , .
- 1998. Maternal environmental effects in plants: adaptive plasticity?. In: MousseauTA, FoxCW, eds. Maternal effects in plants. New York, USA: Oxford University Press, 137–158. , .
- 1995. Weed survey – southern states: broadleaf crops subsection. Proceedings of the Southern Weed Science Society 48: 298–302. .
- 1991. Phytotron procedural manual. Technical Bulletin 244. Raleigh, NC, USA: North Carolina Agricultural Research Service. , .
- 1978. Effects of field applications of nitrate on weed seed germination and dormancy. Weed Science 26: 594–596. , .
- 1986. The allocation of minerals to seeds in Senecio vulgaris plants subjected to nutrient shortage. Journal of Ecology 74: 385–392. .
- 1992. Environmental influences on seed size and composition. Horticultural Reviews 13: 183–213. .
- 2001. The effect of maternal and paternal environments on seed characters in the herbaceous plant Campanula americana (Campanulaceae). American Journal of Botany 88: 832–840. .
- 1982. Seed germination and seedling emergence as influenced by the position of development of the seed on, and chemical application to, the parent plant. In: KhanAA, ed. The physiology and biochemistry of seed development, dormancy and germination. New York, USA: Elsevier Biomedical Press, 81–110. , .
- 1992. Maternal effects on seeds during development. In: FennerM, ed. Seeds: the ecology of regeneration in plant communities. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 27–59. .
- 1988. Optimal reproductive strategy of plants, with special reference to the modes of reproductive resource allocation. Plant Species Biology 3: 43–59. , , .
- 1970. The shapes and size of seeds. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 1: 327–356. , , .
- 1990. The influence of seed apparency, nutrient content and chemical defenses on dietary preferences in Dipodomys ordii. Oecologia 83: 333–341. .
- 1991. Germination and seedling development of bigroot morningglory (Ipomoea pandurata). Weed Science 39: 390–396. , .
- 1980. Herbivory in relation to plant content. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 119–161. .
- 1993. Seed size and packaging variation in Baptisia lanceolata (Fabaceae). American Journal of Botany 80: 735–742. .
- 1997. Sources of variation in seed mass in Arum italicum. International Journal of Plant Sciences 158: 298–305. .
- 1990. Responses to nutrient pulses of two colonizers requiring different disturbance frequencies. Ecology 71: 2166–2178. , .
- 1993. Seed mass variation in the perennial herb Asphodelus albus: sources of variation and position effect. Oecologia 93: 571–575. .
- 1998. Nitrogen fertilizer management effects on maize grain quality in the West African moist savanna. Crop Science 38: 1056–1061. , , .
- 1982. Responses of plants from three successional communities to a nutrient gradient. Journal of Ecology 70: 233–248. , .
- 1985. Nutrient content of Abutilon theophrasti seeds and the competitive ability of the resulting plants. Oecologia 65: 247–251. , .
- 1987. Maternal effects in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18: 209–235. , .
- 1985. Seed germination in Chenopodium album L. further evidence for the dependence of the effects of growth regulators on nitrate availability. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 707–711. , , .
- 1986. Size-dependent effects in the analysis of reproductive effort in plants. American Naturalist 127: 667–680. , .
- 1994. Effects of maternal and paternal environment and genotype on offspring phenotype in Solidago altissima L. Evolution 48: 1525–1549. , .
- 1990. Environmental effects on growth and fruit production in Phlox drummondii. Journal of Ecology 78: 15–26. , .
- 1995. Maternal phenotypic effects due to soil nutrient levels and sink removal in Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 82: 491–495. , .
- 1990. Production and effect of seed size in a grassland annual (Erodium brachycarpum, Geraniaceae). American Journal of Botany 77: 874–882. .
- 1984. Seed variation in wild radish: effect of seed size on components of seedling and adult fitness. Ecology 65: 1105–1112. .
- 1989. Competition prolongs expression of maternal effects in seedlings of Erigeron annuus (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany 76: 1646–1653. .
- 2000a. Plant-size and fruit-position effects on reproductive allocation in Alliaria petiolata. Canadian Journal of Botany 78: 1398–1407. , .
- 2000b. Patterns of seed mass variation and their effects on seedling traits in Alliaria petiolata. American Journal of Botany 87: 56–66. , .
- SYSTAT. 1997. Systat 7.0 for windows: statistics. Chicago, IL, USA: SPSS.
- 1998. A survey of mineral composition of weed seeds. Weed Research 38: 79–86. , .
- 1977. Reproductive allocation in Senecio sylvaticus and Chamaenerionangustifolium in relation to mineral nutrition. Journal of Ecology 65: 747–758. , .
- 1998. Sources and consequences of seed mass variation in Banksia marginata (Proteaceae). Journal of Ecology 86: 563–573. , .
- 1997. How important are environmental maternal effects in plants? A study with Centaurea maculosa. Journal of Ecology 85: 133–142. , , , , .
- 1982. The effects of propagule size on germination and seedling growth in Mirabilis hirsuta. Canadian Journal of Botany 60: 1868–1874. .
- 1987. Regulation of seed yield within and among populations of Prunella vulgaris. Ecology 68: 1224–1233. , .
- 1995. The genetics and ecology of seed size variation in a biennial plant, Hydrophyllum appendiculatum (Hydrophyllaceae). Oecologia 101: 343–352. .
- 1995. Environmental maternal effects on seed quality and germination. In: KigelJ, GaliliG, eds. Seed development and germination. New York, USA: Marcel-Dekker, 491–505. .
- 1992. Effect of the parental nutrient regime on growth of the progeny in Abutilon theophrasti (Malvaceae). American Journal of Botany 79: 1102–1107. , .
- 1994. Seed and seedling responses to maternal and offspring environments in Plantago lanceolata. Functional Ecology 8: 763–769. , , .
- 1996. Biostatistical analysis, 3rd edn. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. .
- 1993. Seed dimorphism in relation to germination and growth of Cakile edentula. Canadian Journal of Botany 71: 1231–1235. .