Canopy position affects the temperature response of leaf respiration in Populus deltoides
Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2002
Volume 154, Issue 3, pages 609–619, June 2002
How to Cite
Griffin, K. L., Turnbull, M. and Murthy, R. (2002), Canopy position affects the temperature response of leaf respiration in Populus deltoides. New Phytologist, 154: 609–619. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00410.x
- Issue online: 6 JUN 2002
- Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2002
- Received: 19 September 2001 Accepted: 4 February 2002
- 1984. The role of maintenance respiration in plant growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 7: 561–569. .
- 1989. Respiration and crop productivity. New York: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1997. Plant respiratory response to elevated CO2 partial pressure. In: AllenJrLH, KirkhamMB, OlszykDM, WhitmanCE, eds. Advances in Carbon Dioxide Effects Reasearch. Wisconsin, USA: American Society of Agronomy, 35–77. .
- 1995. Patterns of light and nitrogen distribution in relation to whole canopy carbon gain in C3 and C4 mono- and dicotyledonous species. Oecologia 101: 504–513. , , .
- 1997. Temperature adaptation and acclimation potential of dark respiration in two species of Ranunculus from warm and cold habitats. Arctic and Alpine Research 29: 122–125. , .
- 2000. Acclimation of snow gum (Eucalyptus pauciflora) leaf respiration to seasonal and diurnal variations in temperature. The Importance of Changes in the Capacity and Temperature Sensitivity of Respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 15–26. , , .
- 1983. Relationship between photosynthesis and respiration – the effect of carbohydrate status on the rate of CO2 production by respiration in darkened and illuminated wheat leaves. Plant Physiology 71: 574–581. , .
- 1999. Foliar temperature – respiration response functions for broad-leaved tree species in the southern Appalachians. Tree Physiology 19: 871–878. , , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic capacity in a central Amazonian rain forest. Tree Physiology 20: 179–186. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Biosphere 2 engineering design. Ecological Engineering 13: 31–42. .
- 1999. Acclimation of the respiration photosynthesis ratio to temperature: insights from a model. Global Change Biology 5: 615–622. , , .
- 1993. Canopy structure and vertical patterns of photosynthesis and related leaf traits in a deciduous forest. Oecologia 96: 169–178. , .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1993. Photosynthetic acclimation and nitrogen partitioning within a lucern canopy. II. Stability through time and comparison with a theoretical optimum. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 20: 69–82. .
- 1983. Allocating leaf nitrogen for the maximization of carbon gain: Leaf age as a control on the allocation program. Oecologia 56: 341–347. .
- 1991. Ecological scaling of carbon gain to stress and resource availability. In: MooneyHA, WinnerWE, PellEJ, eds. Response of plants to multiple stresses. New York, USA: Academic Press, 35–65. .
- 2001. Plant physiology of the ‘missing’ carbon sink. Plant Physiology. 125: 25–28. .
- 1999. Altered night-time CO2 concentration affects the growth, physiology and biochemistry of soybean. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 91–99. , , .
- 2001. Leaf dark respiration as a function of canopy position in Nothofagus fusca trees grown at ambient and elevated CO2 partial pressures for five years. Functional Ecology 15: 497–505. , , , , .
- 2002. Leaf respiration is differentially affected by leaf vs ecosystem nighttime warming. Global Change Biology (in press). , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Acclimation of photosynthesis and respiration to simulated climatic warming in northern and southern populations of Acer saccharum: laboratory and field evidence. Tree Physiology 20: 87–96. , , .
- 1999. GISS analysis of surface temperature change. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 30997–31022. , , , .
- 1983. Rapid extraction and analysis of non-structural carbohydrates in plant tissues. Crop Science 33: 1306–1131. .
- 1987. Maximizing daily photosynthesis with respect to the leaf nitrogen pattern in the canopy. Oecologia 72: 520–526. , .
- Werger MJA Vanrheenen JWA. 1989. Canopy development and leaf nitrogen distribution in a stand of Carex-Acutiformis. Ecology 70: 1610–1618. ,
- 1989. Canopy organization and foliage photosynthetic capacity in a broad-leaved evergreen montane forest. Functional Ecology 3: 53–62. .
- 1996. Optimality and nitrogen allocation in a tree canopy. Tree Physiology 16: 627–634. .
- 2001. Uncertainties in global terrestrial biosphere modeling 1. A comprehensive sensitivity analysis with a new photosynthesis and energy balance scheme. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 15: 207–225. , .
- 1995. Acclimation of leaf dark respiration to temperature in alpine and lowland plant species. Annals of Botany 76: 245–252. , .
- 1991a. Spatial distributions of foliar nitrogen and phosphorus in crowns of Eucalyptus grandis. Oecologia 88: 504–510. , , .
- 1991b. Model simulations of spatial distributions and daily totals of photosynthesis in Eucalyptus grandis canopies. Oecologia 88: 494–503. , , .
- 1998. An experimental and modeling study of responses in ecosystems carbon exchanges to increasing CO2 concentrations using a tropical rainforest mesocosm. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 547–556. , , , , , .
- 1994. On the temperature-dependence of soil respiration. Functional Ecology 8: 315–323. , .
- 1999. Biosphere 2 research past and present. BV, New York: Elsevier. , .
- 2001. Leaf respiration in two tropical rainforests: constraints on physiology by phosphorus, nitrogen and temperature. Functional Ecology 15: 378–387. , , .
- 1996. Needle respiration and nitrogen concentration in Scots pine populations from a broad latitudinal range: a common garden test with field grown trees. Functional Ecology 10: 768–776. , , .
- 1998a. Relationships of leaf dark respiration to leaf nitrogen, specific leaf area and leaf life-span: a test across biomes and functional groups. Oecologia 114: 471–482. , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Photosynthesis and respiration rates depend on leaf and root morphology and nitrogen concentration in nine boreal tree species differing in relative growth rate. Functional Ecology 12: 395–405. , , , , .
- 1991a. Effects of climate change on plant respiration. Ecological Applications 1: 157–167. .
- 1991b. A simple method for estimating gross carbon budgets for vegetation in forest ecosystems. Tree Physiology. 9: 255–266. .
- 1995. Foliar maintenance respiration of subalpine and boreal trees and shrubs in relation to nitrogen content. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 765–772. .
- 1996. Foliage, fine-root, woody-tissue and stand respiration in Pinus radiata in relation to nitrogen status. Tree Physiology 16: 333–343. , , , , .
- 1985. Plant physiology. Belmont, CA, USA: Wadsworth. , .
- 1995. Terrestrial ecosystems and the carbon-cycle. Global Change Biology 1: 77–91. .
- 2001. Modelling respiration of vegetation: evidence for a general temperature-dependent Q (10). Global Change Biology 7: 223–230. , , .
- 2001. The response of leaf respiration to temperature and leaf characteristics in three deciduous tree species differs at sites of contrasting soil moisture. Tree Physiology 21: 571–578. , , , , , .
- 1981. Techniques of analysis of variance in experimental marine biology and ecology. Oceanography and Marine Biology Annual Review 19: 513–605. .
- 2000. The controls on net ecosystem productivity along an Arctic transect: a model comparison with flux measurements. Global Change Biology 6: 116–126. , , , , .
- 1965. Spectrophotometric characteristics of chlorophylls a and b and their pheophytins in ethanol. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 109: 448–453. , .
- 1999. Construction and engineering of a created environment: Overview of the Biosphere 2 closed system. Ecological Engineering 13: 43–63. , , , .