The advantage of early flowering in the spring ephemeral annual plant Floerkea proserpinacoides
Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2002
Volume 154, Issue 3, pages 689–694, June 2002
How to Cite
Houle, G. (2002), The advantage of early flowering in the spring ephemeral annual plant Floerkea proserpinacoides. New Phytologist, 154: 689–694. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00418.x
- Issue online: 6 JUN 2002
- Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2002
- Received: 3 December 2001 Accepted: 18 February 2002
- 1988. A contribution to the germination ecology of Floerkea proserpinacoides (Limnanthaceae). Botanical Gazette 149: 427–431. , , .
- 1979. Contribution to reproductive effort by photosynthesis of flowers and fruits. Nature 279: 554–555. , , .
- 1985. Resource limitation in plants – an economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 363–392. , , .
- 1966. A general theory of clutch size. Evolution 20: 174–184. .
- 1971. Maximizing final yield when growth is limited by time or by limiting resources. Journal of Theoretical Biology 33: 299–307. .
- 1950. Gray’s Manual of Botany. New York, NY, USA: Van Nostrand. .
- 1992a. Annual plant life histories and the paradigm of resource allocation. Evolutionary Ecology 6: 482–499. .
- 1992b. The effect of time-varying mortality and carbon assimilation on models of carbon allocation in annual plants. Evolutionary Ecology 6: 500–518. .
- 1970. Life historical consequences of natural selection. American Naturalist 104: 1–24. , .
- 1990. The cost of meristem limitation in Polygonum arenastrum: negative genetic correlations between fecundity and growth. Evolution 44: 799–819. .
- 1963. Manual of vascular plants of northeastern United States and adjacent Canada. New York, NY, USA: Reinhold. , .
- 1998. Facteurs responsables de la rareté de Floerkea proserpinacoides au Québec. Québec, Canada: Gouvernement du Québec, Ministère de l’Environnement et de la Faune. , , .
- 2001. Spatiotemporal dynamics of Floerkea proserpinacoides (Limnanthaceae), an annual plant of the deciduous forest of eastern North America. American Journal of Botany 88: 594–607. , , .
- 1982a. Graded allocation between vegetative and reproductive growth for annual plants in growing seasons of random length. Theoretical Population Biology 22: 1–16. , .
- 1982b. Multiple switches between vegetative and reproductive growth in annual plants. Theoretical Population Biology 21: 194–204. , .
- 1979. The cost of reproduction in annual meadow grass. American Naturalist 113: 3–16. .
- 1947. A phenological record for Sauk and Dane Counties, Wisconsin, 1935–45. Ecological Monographs 17: 81–122. , .
- 2000a. Why are annual plants rarely spring ephemeral? New Phytologist 148: 295–302. , .
- 2000b. Under-saturated distribution of Floerkea proserpinacoides Willd. (Limnanthaceae) at the northern limit of its distribution. Écoscience 7: 466–473. , .
- 1968. Numerical taxonomy of Limnanthaceae. American Journal of Botany 55: 173–182. , .
- 1974. Plant yield and the switch from vegetative to reproductive growth. Journal of Theoretical Biology 44: 23–34. , .
- 1998. Architectural constraints on flower number in a photoperiodic annual. Oikos 81: 279–288. .
- 1919. A comparative study of Floerkea proserpinacoides and allies. Contributions of the Botanical Laboratory of the University of Pennsylvania 4: 401–418. .
- 1974. Optimal reproductive effort in fluctuating environments. American Naturalist 108: 783–790. .
- 1983. Demography of Floerkea proserpinacoides, a forest-floor annual. II. Density-dependent reproduction. Journal of Ecology 71: 405–412. .
- 1984. The optimal design of a herbaceous body. American Naturalist 123: 197–211. .
- 1976. Life-history tactics: a review of the ideas. Quarterly Review of Biology 51: 3–47. .
- 1981. Flower and fruit abortion: proximate causes and ultimate functions. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 12: 253–279. .
- 1963. Flora of Missouri. Ames, IA, USA: Iowa State University Press. .
- 1965. Growth patterns of some native annual and perennial herbs in southern Wisconsin. Ecology 46: 401–420. .
- 1985. Some life-history consequences of modular construction in plants. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B 313: 31–51. , .
- 1984. Developmental constraints: effect on population growth and patterns of resource allocation in a clonal plant. American Naturalist 123: 411–426. .
- 1984. Morphogenetic constraints on patterns of carbon distribution in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 15: 233–258. , .
- 1966. Natural selection, the costs of reproduction, and a refinement of Lack’s principle. American Naturalist 100: 687–690. .