The large capacity for dark nitrate-assimilation in diatoms may overcome nitrate limitation of growth
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2002
Volume 155, Issue 1, pages 101–108, July 2002
How to Cite
Clark, D. R., Flynn, K. J. and Owens, N. J.P. (2002), The large capacity for dark nitrate-assimilation in diatoms may overcome nitrate limitation of growth. New Phytologist, 155: 101–108. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00435.x
- Issue online: 18 JUN 2002
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2002
- Received: 3 October 2001 Accepted: 27 February 2002
- 1991. Demonstration of both a photosynthetic and a nonphotosynthetic CO2 requirement for NH4+ assimilation in the green-alga Selenastrum minutum. Plant Physiology 95: 192–196. , , .
- 2000. Photoacclimation in the marine diatom Skeletonema costatum. Limnology and Oceanography 45: 1807–1817. , , , , , .
- 1995. Laboratory and field responses of algal nitrate reductase to diel periodicity in irradiance, nitrate exhaustion, and the presence of ammonium. Marine Ecology Progress Series 124: 259–269. , , .
- 1998. Recovery of nitrogen-starved cultures of the diatom Ditylum brightwellii (Bacillariophyceae) upon nitrogen resupply. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 227: 237–250. , , , .
- 2002. N-assimilation in the noxious flagellate Heterosigma caterae (Raphiophyceae); dependence on light, N-source and physiological state. Journal of Phycology. (In press.) , .
- 1991a. Diel periodicity of nitrogen uptake by marine-phytoplankton in nitrate-rich environments. Limnology and Oceanography 36: 1689–1700. , , .
- 1991b. Effects of irradiance on nitrogen uptake by phytoplankton – comparison of frontal and stratified communities. Marine Ecology Progress Series 69: 103–116. , , .
- 1981. Effects of nitrate on the diurnal vertical migration, carbon to nitrogen ratio, and the photosynthetic capacity of the dinoflagellate Gymniodinium spendens. Marine Biology 62: 81–89. , .
- 1982. Effect of growth conditions on accumulation of internal nitrate, ammonium, amino acids, and protein in three marine diatoms. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 61: 243–264. .
- 1956. Colorimetric methods for determination of sugars and related substances. Analytical Chemistry 28: 350–356. , , , , .
- 1992. Non-protein free amines in microalgae: consequences for the measurement of intracellular amino acids and of the glutamine/glutamate ratio. Marine Ecology Progress Series 89: 73–79. , .
- 1998. The release of nitrite by marine dinoflagellates – development of a mathematical simulation. Marine Biology 130: 455–470. , .
- 1999. Interactions between iron, light, ammonium and nitrate; insights from the construction of a dynamic model of algal physiology. Journal of Phycology 35: 1171–1190. , .
- 1997. Modelling the interaction between ammonium and nitrate uptake in marine phytoplankton. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society 352: 1625–1645. , , .
- 1999. Variations in the maximum transport rates for ammonium and nitrate in the prymnesiophyte Emiliania huxleyi and the raphidophyte Heterosigma carterae. Journal of Plankton Research 21: 355–371. , , , .
- 2001. A comparison of two N-irradiance models of phytoplankton growth. Limnology and Oceanography 46: 1794–1802. , , .
- 2002. Modelling suggests that optimization of dark nitrogen-assimilation need not be a critical selective feature in phytoplankton. New Phytologist 155: 109–119. , , .
- 1992. Diel variability in nitrogenous nutrient-uptake by phytoplankton in the Chesapeake Bay plume. Journal of Plankton Research 14: 271–288. , .
- 1999. Effects of NH4+ assimilation on dark carbon fixation and α-1,3-glucan metabolism in the marine diatom Skeletonema costatum (Bacillariophyceae). Journal of Phycology 35: 1191–1199. , .
- 1998. Nitrate reductase activity as a measure of nitrogen incorporation in Rhizosolenia formosa (H. Peragallo): Internal nitrate and diel effects. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 229: 159–176. , .
- 1997. Carbon and nitrogen uptake response to light by phytoplankton during an upwelling event. Journal of Plankton Research 19: 609–630. , , .
- 1992. Activation of respiration to support dark NO3- and NH4+ assimilation in the green alga Selenastrum minutum. Plant Physiology 99: 495–500. , , , .
- 1994. The physiological ecology of a fresh-water dinoflagellate bloom population – vertical migration, nitrogen limitation, and nutrient-uptake kinetics. Journal of Phycology 30: 964–971. , , .
- 1995. Nitrogen-specific uptake rates of marine-phytoplankton isolated from natural-populations of particles by flow-cytometry. Marine Ecology Progress Series 123: 245–258. .
- 1979. Cell division periodicity in 13 species of marine phytoplankton on a light–dark cycle. Journal of Phycology 15: 67–75. , .
- 1996. Diel variability in nitrogenous nutrient uptake at photic and subphotic depths. Journal of Plankton Research 18: 2063–2079. , , , .
- 1984. Dinoflagellate flagella: a cost–benefit analysis. New Phytologist 98: 259–276. , .
- 1973. A continuous culture study of phosphate uptake, growth rate and polyphosphate in Scenedesmus sp. Journal of Phycology 9: 495–506. .
- 1998. Potential contributions of vertically migrating Rhizoselenia to nutrient cycling and new production in the open ocean. Journal of Plankton Research 20: 219–241. , , , .
- 1993. Diel periodicity in dark uptake of ammonium by natural populations of marine phytoplankton. Journal of Plankton Research 15: 1333–1339. , .
- 1992. Molecular and physiological-responses of diatoms to variable levels of irradiance and nitrogen availability – growth of Skeletonema costatum in simulated upwelling conditions. Limnology and Oceanography 37: 989–1007. , , .
- 1986. Effects of nitrogen deprivation on rates of uptake of nitrogenous compounds by the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum Bohlin. New Phytologist 102: 39–44. , , , , , .
- 1982. Comparisons of methods for extracting intracellular pools of inorganic nitrogen from marine phytoplankton. Journal of Plankton Research 4: 495–704. , , .
- 1991. The inorganic carbon requirements for nitrogen assimilation. Canadian Journal Botanic Review. Canadian Botany 69: 1139–1145. , , , .
- 1984. Effects of light, salinity and nutrient limitation on the production of β-1,3-d-glucan and exo-d-glucanase activity in Skeletonema costatum (Grev.) Cleve. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 83: 13–25. , .
- 1991. Diel vertical migration and nocturnal uptake of nutrients by Chattonella antiqua under stable stratification. Limnology and Oceanography 36: 593–602. , , .
- 1995. Growth of Heterosigma carterae (Raphidophyceae) on nitrate and ammonium at three photon flux densities: evidence for N-stress in nitrate-growing cells. Journal of Phycology 31: 859–867. , .