Programmed cell death during rice leaf senescence is nonapoptotic
Article first published online: 18 JUN 2002
Volume 155, Issue 1, pages 25–32, July 2002
How to Cite
Lee, R.-H. and Chen, S.-C. G. (2002), Programmed cell death during rice leaf senescence is nonapoptotic. New Phytologist, 155: 25–32. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00443.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUN 2002
- Article first published online: 18 JUN 2002
- Received: 9 January 2002 Accepted: 18 March 2002
- 1997. Localization of hydrogen peroxide accumulation during the hypersensitive reaction of lettuce cells to Pseudomonas syringae pv Phaseolicola. The Plant Cell 9: 209–221. , , , .
- 1997. The molecular biology of leaf senescence. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 181–199. .
- 2000. Mitochondria as the central control point of apoptosis. Trends in Cell Biology 10: 369–377. , .
- 1996. Xylogenesis: initiation, progression, and cell death. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 299–325. .
- 1992. Identification of programmed cell death in situ via specific labeling of nuclear DNA fragmentation. Journal of Cell Biology 119: 493–501. , , .
- 1999. Tracheary element differentiation uses a novel mechanism coordinating programmed cell death and secondary cell wall synthesis. Plant Physiology 119: 375–384. , .
- 1996. Apoptosis during diploid parthenogenesis and early somatic embryogenesis of Norway spruce. International Journal of Plant Science 157: 8–16. , .
- 1996. Transduction of an ethylene signal is required for cell death and lysis in the root cortex of maize during aerenchyma formation induced by hypoxia. Plant Physiology 112: 463–472. , , .
- 1992. Arabinogalactan-rich glycoproteins are localized on the cell surface and in intravacuolar multivesicular bodies. Plant Physiology 98: 264–272. , .
- 2001. Cloning and characterization of leaf senescence up-regulated genes in sweet potato. Physiologia Plantarum 113: 384–391. , , , , , .
- 1998. Three-dimensional analysis of the senescence program in rice (Oryza sativa L.) coleoptiles: Investigation by fluorescence microscopy and electron microscopy. Planta 206: 585–597. , , , .
- 2000. Does the plant mitochondrion integrate cellular stress and regulate programmed cell death? Trends in Plant Science 5: 225–230. .
- 2000. Coleoptile senescence in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Annual of Botany 86: 405–414. , .
- 1991. Definition and incidence of apoptosis: an historical perspective. In: TomeiLD, CopeFO, eds. Apoptosis: the molecular basis of cell death. Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 5–29. , .
- 1997. Apoptosis in cells of the initial leaf and coleoptile of wheat seedlings: internucleosomal fragmentation of genome and synthesis of ‘heavy’ oligonucleosome-size DNA fragments. Biochemistry (Moscow) 62: 864–869. , , .
- 2001. Leaf senescence in rice plants: cloning and characterization of senescence up-regulated genes. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1117–1121. , , , .
- 1996. Calcium-mediated apoptosis in plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Current Biology 6: 427–437. , , , , .
- 1994. Dicing with death: dissecting the components of the apoptosis machinery. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 19: 26–30. , , .
- 1997. The vacuole and cell senescence. Advances in Botanical Research 25: 87–112. .
- 1996. Autophagy in tobacco suspension-cultured cells in response to sucrose starvation. Plant Physiology 111: 1233–1241. , .
- 1997. Programmed cell death in plants. Plant Cell 9: 1157–1168. , .
- 1996. Cleavage of nuclear DNA into oligonucleosomal fragments during cell death induced by fungal infection or by abiotic treatments. Plant Cell 8: 393–402. , .
- 2000. AtBI-1, a plant homologue of Bax inhibitor-1, suppresses Bax-induced cell death in yeast and is rapidly unregulated during wounding and pathogen challenge. Plant Journal 21: 393–399. , , .
- 2000. Aspects of programmed cell death during leaf senescence of mono- and dicotyledonous plants. Protoplasma 214: 93–101. , , , .
- 1994. Gene expression during leaf senescence. New Phytologist 126: 419–448. .
- 1999. Mannose induces an endonuclease responsible for DNA laddering in plant cells. Plant Physiology 121: 71–79. , .
- 1980. Leaf senescence. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 31: 83–111. , .
- 1999. Molecular characterization of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase activase in rice leaves. Planta 209: 66–76. , , .
- 1994. Endonuclease activities, chromatin structure, and DNA degradation in apoptosis. Biochemistry and Cell Biology 72: 615–623. , .
- 1999. Apoptosis in developing anthers and the role of ABA in this process during androgenesis in Hordeum vulgare L. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 489–501. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal regulation of DNA fragmentation in the aleurone of germinating barley. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1293–1301. , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Cell death: the significance of apoptosis. International Review of Cytology 68: 251–306. , , .
- 2000. Programmed cell death during pollination-induced petal senescence in petunia. Plant Physiology 122: 1323–1333. , .
- 1998. Evidence for programmed cell death during leaf senescence in plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 39: 922–927. , .
- 1999. Analysis of programmed cell death in wheat endosperm reveals differences in endosperm development between cereals. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 915–926. , .