One katal represents the conversion of one mole of substrate into one mole of product per second.
Limitations to CO2 assimilation in ozone-exposed leaves of Plantago major
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2002
Volume 155, Issue 1, pages 67–78, July 2002
How to Cite
Zheng, Y., Shimizu, H. and Barnes, J. D. (2002), Limitations to CO2 assimilation in ozone-exposed leaves of Plantago major. New Phytologist, 155: 67–78. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00446.x
- Issue online: 18 JUN 2002
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2002
- Received: 5 December 2002 Accepted: 8 March 2002
- 1997. Analysis of limitations to CO2 assimilation on exposure of leaves of two Brassica napus cultivars to UV-B. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 633–640. , , , .
- 1988. The relationship between changes in photosynthesis and growth for radish plants fumigated with SO2 and O3. New Phytologist 110: 173–184. , , .
- 1994. Responses of photosynthetic light-use efficiency and chloroplast development on exposure of leaves to ozone. In: AlscherRG, WellburnAR, eds. Plant responses to the gaseous environment. molecular, metabolic and physiological aspects. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 219–238. , , .
- 1997. Photosynthesis and photoinhibition. In: Lumsden, P, ed. Plants and UV-B: responses to environmental change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 123–132. , , .
- 1985. Effect of temperature on the CO2/O2 specificity of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and the rate of respiration in the light. Planta 165: 397–406. , .
- 1998. Impacts of ozone on wild plants. New Phytologist 139: 135–151. , .
- 1993. Photosynthesis, Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase and leaf characteristics of Nicotiana tabacum L. Genotypes selected by survival at low CO2 concentrations. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 1–7. , , , , .
- 1994. O3 induced degradation of Rubisco protein and loss of Rubisco mRNA in relation to leaf age in Solanum tuberosum L. New Phytologist 127: 741–748. , .
- 1977. Quantum yields from CO2 uptake in C3 and C4 plants: Dependence on temperature, CO2 and O2 uptake. Plant Physiology 59: 86–90. , .
- 1983. Variation in quantum yield for CO2 uptake among C3 and C4 plants. Plant Physiology 73: 555–559. , .
- 1992. Activity of ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase from potato cultivars with differential response to ozone stress. New Phytologist 122: 493–500. , , .
- 1992. Ozone inhibition of photosynthesis – a mechanistic analysis following short-term and long-term exposure in 3 contrasting species. Photosynthesis Research 34: 244–244. , .
- 1995. An in vivo analysis of photosynthesis during short-term O3 exposure in three contrasting species. Photosynthesis Research 43: 11–18. , .
- 1999. The effects of O3 fumigation during leaf development on photosynthesis of wheat and pea: an in vivo analysis. Photosynthesis Research 59: 1–7. , .
- 1991. The sequence of change within the photosynthetic apparatus of wheat following short-term exposure to ozone. Plant Physiology 95: 529–535. , , , .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 1982. Modeling of photosynthetic response to environmental conditions. In: LangeOL, NobelPS, OsmondCB, ZieglerH, eds. Encyclopedia of plant physiology. New York, USA: Springer-Verlag, 549–587. , .
- 1994. Dynamics of self-regulation of photosynthetic carbon metabolism. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 32: 173–183. , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 1992. Regulation of photosynthesis by end-product accumulation in leaves of plants storing starch, sucrose, and hexose sugars. Plant Physiology 99: 1443–1448. , .
- 1991. An improved model of C3 photosynthesis at high CO2: Reversed O2 sensitivity explained by lack of glycerate re-entry into the chloroplast. Photosynthesis Research 27: 169–178. , .
- 1992. Modeling photosynthesis of cotton grown in elevated CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 271–282. , , , .
- 1994. Alterations of plant metabolism by ozone exposure. In: AlscherRG, WellburnAR, eds. Plant response to the gaseous environment-molecular, metabolic and physiological aspects. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 121–146. .
- 1980. Regulation of photosynthesis by sink activity – the missing link. New Phytologist 86: 131–144. .
- 1989. An integration portable apparatus for the simultaneous field measurement of photosynthetic CO2 and water vapour exchange, light absorption and chlorophyll fluorescence on attached leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 12: 947–958. , .
- 1984. The CO2/O2 specificity of ribulose-1, 5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase: dependence on ribulose-bisphosphate concentration, pH and temperature. Planta 161: 308–313. , .
- 1990. Ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and carbonic anhydrase. In: LeaPJ, ed. Methods in plant biochemistry. New York, USA: Academic Press, 1–14. , .
- 1998. Biomass, reproductive output, and physiological responses of rapid-cycling brassica (Brassica rapa L.) to ozone and modified root temperature. New Phytologist 139: 657–665. , , .
- 1995. An evaluation of direct and indirect mechanisms for the ‘sink-regulation’ of photosynthesis in spinach: Changes in gas exchange, carbohydrates, metabolites, enzyme activities and steady-state transcript levels after cold-girdling source leaves. Planta 195: 313–323. , .
- 1988. Atmospheric ozone: Formation and effects on vegetation. Environmental Pollution 72: 101–137. , .
- 1996. Photosynthetic responses of Aspen clones to simultaneous exposures of ozone and CO2. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 26: 639–648. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Modification of rubisco and altered proteolytic activity in ozone-stressed hybrid poplar (Populus maximowiczii×trichocarpa). Plant Physiology 101: 1355–1362. , .
- 1987. The effect of ozone in ambient air on ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase activity decreases photosynthesis and grain-yield in wheat. Journal of Plant Physiology 130: 189–200. , , , .
- 1974. An improved spectrophotometric assay for ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase. Biochimica Biophysica Acta 358: 226–229. , .
- 1991. Effect of the long-term elevation of CO2 concentration in the field on the quantum yield of photosynthesis of C3 sedge, Scirpus olneyi. Plant Physiology 96: 221–226. , .
- 1992. Photosynthetic CO2 assimilation and rising atmospheric CO2 concentrations. In: BakerNR, ThomasH, eds. Crop photosynthesis: spatial and temporal determinants. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science, 69–103. , .
- 1998. Influence of plant age on ozone resistance in Plantago major L. New Phytologist 138: 83–89. , .
- 1995. The interactive effects of elevated CO2 and O3 concentration on photosynthesis in spring wheat. Photosynthesis Research 45: 111–119. , , .
- 1990. Differential sensitivity of stomata and mesophyll to sudden exposure of bean shoots to ozone. Photosynthetica 24: 446–458. , , .
- 1993. Impact of acute ozone exposure on CO2 uptake by two cultivars of Phaseolus vulgaris L. Photosynthetica 28: 133–141. , , .
- 1978. Photochemical oxidant injury in rice plants: Effect of ozone on physiological activities in rice plants. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 47: 704–714. , .
- 1992. Timing of ozone stress and resulting status of ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase and associated net photosynthesis. New Phytologist 120: 397–405. , , .
- 1994a. Biochemical and molecular basis for the impairment of photosynthetic potential. Photosynthesis Research 39: 453–462. , , .
- 1994b. Effects of gaseous air pollutants on ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase: Effects and implications. In: AlscherRG, WellburnAR, eds. Plant response to the gaseous environment: molecular, metabolic and physiological aspects. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 239–254. , , , .
- 1983. Ozone induced reduction in quantity of Rubisco in alfalfa. Plant Physiology 73: 183–187. , .
- 1997. Ozone-induced stress: Mechanisms of action and reaction. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 364–273. , , .
- 2000. Ozone: a tool for probing programmed cell death in plants. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 345–358. , , .
- 1997. Comparison of spectrophotometric and radioisotopic methods for the assay of Rubisco in ozone-treated plants. Physiologia Plantarum 101: 398–404. , , , .
- 1995. Effects of ozone on stomatal conductance and photosynthesis in populations of Plantago major L. New Phytologist 129: 587–594. , .
- 1998. Disturbances in stomatal behaviour caused by air pollution. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 461–469. , , .
- 1998. Ozone-induced oxidative burst in the ozone biomonitor plant, tobacco Bel-W3. Plant Journal 16: 235–245. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Photosynthesis in intact leaves of C3 plants: physics, physiology and rate limitations. Botanical Review 51: 53–105. .
- 1986. Limitation of photosynthesis by carbon metabolism II. O2-insensitive CO2 uptake results from limitation of triose phosphate utilization. Plant Physiology 81: 1123–1129. , , , , , .
- 1994. Feedback control of gene expression regulation of photosynthesis by end-product accumulation in leaves of plants storing starch, sucrose, and hexose sugars. Photosynthesis Research 39: 427–438. .
- 2000. Phenological weighting of ozone exposures in the calculation of critical levels for wheat, bean and plantain. Environmental Pollution 109: 517–524. , , , , , .
- 1999. Ozone inhibits guard cell K+ channels implicated in stomatal opening. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 13577–13582. , , .
- 1981. Some relationship between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1989. A comparison between the coupled spectrophotometric and uncoupled radiometric assays for RuBP carboxylase. Photosynthesis Research 22: 167–171. , .
- 1993. Biochemical limitations and carbon assimilation in C3 plants – A retrospective analysis of the A/ci curves from 109 species. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 907–920. .
- 1998. An in vivo Analysis of the Impact of Ozone on Primary Carbon Metabolism. PhD thesis, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: University of Newcastle upon Tyne. .
- 2000. Effects of ozone on the production and utilization of assimilates in Plantago major. Environmental and Experimental Botany 43: 171–180. , , .
- 1998. Ozone levels in Chongqing: a potential threat to crop plants commonly grown in the region?. Environmental Pollution 99: 299–308. , , , , , .