Stem respiration increases in CO2-enriched sweetgum trees
Version of Record online: 3 JUL 2002
Volume 155, Issue 2, pages 239–248, August 2002
How to Cite
Edwards, N. T., Tschaplinski, T. J. and Norby, R. J. (2002), Stem respiration increases in CO2-enriched sweetgum trees. New Phytologist, 155: 239–248. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00458.x
- Issue online: 3 JUL 2002
- Version of Record online: 3 JUL 2002
- Received: 29 January 2002 Accepted: 15 April 2002
- 1989. Respiration and crop productivity. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2000. The McCree-de Wit-Penning de Vries-Thornley Respiration Paradigms: 30 Years Later. Annals of Botany 86: 1–20. .
- 1996. Stem respiration and construction respiration in Pinus ponderosa grown in different concentrations of atmospheric CO2. Tree Physiology 16: 125–130. , , .
- 2002. Stem and branch respiration of beech: from tree measurements to estimations at the stand level. New Phytologist 153: 159–172. , , , .
- 1999. Acclimation of the respiration/photosynthesis ratio to temperature: insights from a model. Global Change Biology 5: 615–622. , , .
- 1996. Stem respiration in a closed-canopy upland oak forest. Tree Physiology 16: 433–439. , .
- 1978. Temperature-independent diel variations of respiration rates in Quercus alba and Liriodendron tulipifera. Oikos 31: 200–206. , .
- 1981. Carbon metabolism in terrestrial ecosystems. In: ReichleDE, ed. Dynamic properties of forest ecosystems. London, UK: Cambridge University Press, 499–536. , , , .
- 1998. Clonal and seasonal differences in leaf osmotic potentials and organic solutes of five hybrid poplar cl1s grown under field conditions. Tree Physiology 18: 645–652. , , , .
- 2002. Environmental and stomatal control of photosynthetic enhancement in the canopy of a Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua L.) plantation during 3 years of CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 379–393. , , , , , .
- 1999. A free-air enrichment system for exposing tall forest vegetation to elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 3: 463–309. , , , .
- 2000. Long-term effects of elevated CO2 on woody tissue respiration of Norway spruce studied in open-top chambers. Biologia Plantarum 43: 41–46. , , .
- 1979. Physiology of woody plants. Academic Press, New York, 811 p. , .
- 1997. Growth and maintenance respiration rates of aspen, black spruce and jack pine stems at northern and southern BOREAS sites. Tree Physiology 17: 543–551. , .
- 1997. Comparing nocturnal eddy covariance measurements to estimates of ecosystem respiration made by scaling chamber measurements at 6 coniferous boreal sites. Journal of Geophysical Research 102 (d24): 28977–29985. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1970. An equation for the rate of respiration of white clover plants grown under controlled conditions. In SetlikI (Ed.) Prediction and measurement of photosynthetic productivity. PUDOC, Wageningen, Netherlands, pp. 221–229. .
- 1977. Spatial and temporal patterns in transport and respiratory allocation of sucrose by white oak (Quercus alba) roots. Canadian Journal of Botany 55: 2971–2980. , , .
- 2001. Allometric determination of tree growth in a CO2-enriched sweetgum stand. New Phytologist 150: 477–487. , , , .
- 1975. The cost of maintenance processes in plant cells. Annals of Botany 39: 77–92. .
- 1974. Products, requirements and efficiency of biosynthesis: a quantitative approach. Journal of Theoretical Biology 45: 339–377. , , .
- 1990. Growth and maintenance respiration in stems of Pinus contorta and Picea engelmannii. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 48–57. .
- 1991. Measureing woody-tissue respiration and photosynthesis. In LassoieJP, HinckleyTM (Eds) Techniques and Approaches in Forest Tree Ecophysiology. CRC Press, Boca raton, FL, USA, pp. 329–355. , .
- 2000. Temperature variations and distribution of living cells within tree stems: implications for stem respiration modeling and scale-up. Tree Physiology 20: 1057–1062. .
- 1998. Effect of nitrogen on the seasonal course of growth and maintenance respiration in stems of Norway spruce trees. Tree Physiology 18: 155–166. , .
- 2001. Sap velocity and canopy transpiration in a sweetgum stand exposed to free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE). New Phytologist 150: 489–498. , .
- 1995. Growth and maintenance respiration in stems of Quercus alba after 4 years of CO2 enrichment. Physiologia Plantarum 93: 47–54. , , .
- 1997. Energetic costs of tissue construction in yellow-poplar and white Oak trees exposed to long-term CO2 enrichment. Annals of Botany 80: 289–297. , , , .