Comparison of measured growth rates with those calculated from rates of photosynthesis in Planktothrix spp. isolated from Blelham Tarn, English Lake District
Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2002
Volume 156, Issue 2, pages 225–239, November 2002
How to Cite
Davis, P. A. and Walsby, A. E. (2002), Comparison of measured growth rates with those calculated from rates of photosynthesis in Planktothrix spp. isolated from Blelham Tarn, English Lake District. New Phytologist, 156: 225–239. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00495.x
- Issue online: 21 OCT 2002
- Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2002
- Received: 30 April 2002 Accepted: 5 July 2002
- 1999. The diversity of gas vesicle genes in Planktothrix rubescens from Lake Zürich. Microbiology 145: 2757–2768. , , , .
- 1999. Physiology and gas vesicles of Planktothrix rubescens. PhD Thesis. Bristol, UK: University of Bristol. .
- 2000. The daily integral of growth by Planktothrix rubescens calculated from growth rate in culture and irradiance in Lake Zürich. New Phytologist 146: 301–316. , .
- 2002. The ecophysiology and gas vesicles of Planktothrix spp. PhD Thesis. Bristol, UK: University of Bristol. .
- 2002. Variation in filament width and gas vesicles of red and green isolates of Planktothrix spp. Archiv für Hydrobiologie Supplement, Algological Studies (In press.) , , .
- 2002. The annual cycle of biomass change and growth rate of Planktothrix spp. in Blelham Tarn. English Lake District. Freshwater Biology (In press.) , , , , .
- 1987. A system for measuring photosynthesis in a defined light field with an oxygen electrode. Journal of Plankton Research 9: 607–612. , , , .
- 1997. Aquatic photosynthesis. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science. , .
- 1998. Light dependence of quantum yield for PSII charge separation and oxygen evolution in eucaryotic algae. Limnology and Oceanography 43: 284–297. , .
- 1965. Algal Cultures and Phytoplankton Ecology. Madison, WI, USA: University of Wisconsin Press. .
- 1980. The influence of surface to volume ratio on the growth rates of planktonic blue-green algae. British Phycological Journal 15: 279–289. .
- 1980. The role of carbohydrate accumulation in the growth of planktonic Oscillatoria species. British Phycological Journal 15: 139–150. , .
- 1975. A field and laboratory study of oxygen uptake by planktonic blue-green algae. Journal of Ecology 63: 867–880. .
- 1976. A theoretical analysis of the contribution of algal cells to the attenuation of light within natural waters. III. Cylindrical and spheroidal cells. New Phytologist 77: 341–358. .
- 1994. Light and photosynthesis in aquatic ecosystems, 2nd edn. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1993. Use of active fluorescence to estimate phytoplankton photosynthesis in situ. Limnology and Oceanography 38: 646–1665. , .
- 1979. Growth kinetics of Oscillatoria agardhii Gomont in continuous culture, limited in its growth by light energy supply. Journal of General Microbiology 115: 153–160. , .
- 1982. Interactions of cyanobacteria with light. In: CarrNG, WhittonBA, eds. The biology of the cyanobacteria. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 9–45. , .
- 1998. The daily integral of photosynthesis by Planktothrix rubescens during summer stratification and autumnal mixing in Lake Zürich. New Phytologist 138: 233–249. , , .
- 1978. Competition of the green alga Scenedesmus and the blue-green Oscillatoria. Mitteilungen der Internationale Vereinigung für Theoretisch und Angewandte Limnologie. 21: 473–479. , , .
- 1984. A cost–benefit analysis of photon absorption by photosynthetic unicells. New Phytologist 98: 593–625. .
- 1988. Limits to growth. In: Borowitzka, MA, Borowitzka, LJ eds. Microalgal biotechnology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 331–356. .
- 1984. The ecology of freshwater phytoplankton. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1997. Modelling phytoplankton dynamics in lakes and reservoirs: the problem of in-situ growth rates. Hydrobiologia 349: 5–17. , .
- 1984. Estimation of phytoplankton loss rates from daily photosynthetic rates and observed biomass change in Lake Constance. Journal of Plankton Research 6: 309–324. .
- 2001. Changes in the photosynthetic coefficients α and Pm of Planktothrix rubescens grown on light–dark cycles. Aquatic Sciences 63: 350–362. , , .
- 1994. Gas vesicles. Microbiological Reviews 58: 94–144. .
- 1997. Numerical integration of phytoplankton through depth and time in a water column. New Phytologist 136: 189–209. .
- 2001. Determining the photosynthetic productivity of a stratified phytoplankton population. Aquatic Sciences 63: 18–43. .
- 1979. Average thickness of the gas vesicle wall. Journal of Molecular Biology 129: 279–285. , .
- 1996. Measurement of filamentous cyanobacteria by image analysis. Journal of Microbiological Methods 26: 11–20. , .
- 1988. The dimensions of cyanobacterial gas vesicles in relation to their efficiency in providing buoyancy and withstanding pressure. Journal of General Microbiology 134: 2635–2645. , .
- 2002. Light-dependent growth rate determines changes in the population of Planktothrix rubescens over the annual cycle in Lake Zürich, Switzerland. New Phytologist 154: 671–687. , .
- 1991. Overall planktonic oxygen and carbon dioxide metabolisms: the problem of reconciling observations and calculations of photosynthetic quotients. Journal of Plankton Research 13: s152–169. , .