Does low phosphorus supply limit seedling establishment and tree growth in groves of ectomycorrhizal trees in a central African rainforest?
Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2002
Volume 156, Issue 2, pages 297–311, November 2002
How to Cite
Newbery, D. M., Chuyong, G. B., Green, J. J., Songwe, N. C., Tchuenteu, F. and Zimmermann, L. (2002), Does low phosphorus supply limit seedling establishment and tree growth in groves of ectomycorrhizal trees in a central African rainforest?. New Phytologist, 156: 297–311. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00505.x
- Issue online: 21 OCT 2002
- Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2002
- Received: 7 March 2002 Accepted: 10 July 2002
- 1994. Nutrient cycling in ectomycorrhizal legume-dominated forest in Korup National Park, Cameroon. PhD thesis, University of Stirling, UK. .
- 2000. Litter nutrients and retranslocation in a central African rain forest dominated by ectomycorrhizal trees. New Phytologist 148: 493–510. , , .
- 2002. Litter breakdown and mineralization in a central African rain forest dominated by ectomycorrhizal trees. Biogeochemistry 61: 73–94. , , .
- 1986. The influence of topography and soil phosphorus on the vegetation of Korup Forest Reserve, Cameroun. Vegetatio 65: 131–148. , , , .
- 2001a. Light and seed size affect establishment of grove-forming ectomycorrhizal rain forest tree species. New Phytologist 151: 271–289. , .
- 2001b. Shade and leaf loss affect establishment of grove-forming ectomycorrhizal rain forest tree species. New Phytologist 151: 291–309. , .
- 1995. Phosphorus limitation of forest leaf area and net primary production on a highly weathered soil. Biogeochemistry 29: 223–235. , .
- Suriantata. 1999. Effects of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization in lowland evergreen rainforest. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, London, B 354: 1825–1829. , , , ,
- 1998b. Phosphorus nutrition of ectomycorrhizal and arbuscular mycorrhizal tree seedlings from a lowland tropical rain forest in Korup National Park, Cameroon. Journal of Tropical Ecology 14: 47–61. , , .
- 1998a. Spatial distribution of ectomycorrhizas and arbuscular mycorrhizas in Korup National Park rain forest, Cameroon, in relation to edaphic parameters. New Phytologist 139: 311–320. , , .
- 1997. Phosphorus dynamics in a lowland African rain forest: the influence of ectomycorrhizal trees. Ecological Monographs 67: 367–409. , , .
- 2000. Does proximity to conspecific adults influence the establishment of ectomycorrhizal tree species in an African rain forest? New Phytologist 147: 401–409. , , .
- 1988. Ectomycorrhizal rain-forest legumes and soil phosphorus in Korup National Park, Cameroon. New Phytologist 109: 433–450. , , , .
- 1996. Structural analysis of the rain forest at Korup and Douala Edea, Cameroon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, B. 104: 177–224. , .
- 1998. Phenology and dynamics of an African rainforest at Korup, Cameroon. In: NewberyDM, PrinsHHT, BrownND, eds. Dynamics of ecological communities. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science, 267–308. , , .
- 2000. Genstat Release 5.42: Reference Manual. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press. , ed.
- 1997. Genstat Release 5.41: Reference Manual. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press. , et al.
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis. London, UK: Academic Press. , .
- 1992. Nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization effects on Venezuelan montane forest trunk growth and litterfall. Ecology 73: 78–86. , , .
- 1990. Nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization in Jamaican montane forest trees. Journal of Tropical Ecology 6: 231–238. , , , , .
- 1998. Experimental investigation of nutrient limitation of forest growth on wet tropical mountains. Ecology 79: 10–72. , , .
- 1993. Nutrient limitations to plant growth during primary succession in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Biogeochemistry 23: 197–215. , , , .
- 1976. The fate of phosphorus during pedogenesis. Geoderma 15: 1–19. , .
- 2000. A comparative study of growth and mortality in a caesalp-dominated lowland African rainforest at Korup, Cameroon. Diploma Thesis, University of Bern, Switzerland. .