Stomatal uptake and cuticular adsorption contribute to dry deposition of NH3 and NO2 to needles of adult spruce (Picea abies) trees
Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2002
Volume 156, Issue 2, pages 179–194, November 2002
How to Cite
Geßler, A., Rienks, M. and Rennenberg, H. (2002), Stomatal uptake and cuticular adsorption contribute to dry deposition of NH3 and NO2 to needles of adult spruce (Picea abies) trees. New Phytologist, 156: 179–194. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00509.x
- Issue online: 21 OCT 2002
- Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2002
- Received: 12 March 2002 Accepted: 8 July 2002
- 1993. Measurements of ammonia flux to a spruce stand in Denmark. Atmospheric Environment. 27: 189–202. , , , .
- 1999. Measurements of ammonia concentrations, fluxes and dry deposition velocities to a spruce forest 1991–95. Atmospheric Environment. 33: 1367–1383. , , , .
- 1998. Ammonia: emission, atmospheric transport and deposition. New Phytologist 139: 27–48. , , .
- 1987. Calculations related to gas exchange. In: ZeigerE, FarquharGD, CownanIR, eds. Stomatal function. Stanford, USA: Stanford University Press, 445–476. .
- 1989. Nitrifying Bacteria. In: SchlegelHG, BowienB, eds. Autotrophic bacteria. Madison WI, USA: Science Tech Publishers, 81–96. , , .
- 1992. Interception and uptake of NH4+ and NO3− from wet deposition by above-ground parts of young beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) trees. Plant and Soil 153: 155–164. , , .
- BundesministeriumFür UmweltNaturschutz UndReaktorsicherheit (ed.) 1996. Bericht der Bundesregierung an Den Deutschen Bundestag – Sechster Immissionsschutzbericht der Bundesregierung. Bonn, Germany: Bonner Universitäts-Buchdruckerei.
- 1994. Thin water films on coniferous needles (With an Appendix ‘a new device for the study of water vapour condensation and gaseous deposition to plant surfaces and particle samples’ by J. Burkhardt and J. Gerchau). Atmospheric Environment 28: 2001–17. , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1994. Effects of atmospheric ammonia on vegetation – a review. Environmental Pollution 86: 43–82. , , , .
- 1980. On the gaseous exchange of ammonia between leaves and the environment: determination of the ammonia compensation point. Plant Physiology 66: 710–714. , , , .
- 1998. The atmospheric budget of oxidised nitrogen and its role in ozone formation and deposition. New Phytologist 139: 11–23. , , , , .
- 1998. Atmospheric Ammonia: Mechanisms of uptake and impacts on N metabolism of plants. In: De KokLJ, StulenI, eds. Responses of plant metabolism to air pollution and global change. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys publishers, 81–94. , .
- 2000. NH3 and NO2 fluxes between beech trees and the atmosphere – correlation with climatic and physiological parameters. New Phytologist 147: 539–560. , , .
- 1998a. Soluble N compounds in trees exposed to high loads of N: a comparison between the roots of Norway spruce (Picea abies[L.] Karst) and beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) trees grown under field conditions. New Phytologist 138: 385–399. , , , , .
- 1998b. Interaction of phloem-translocated amino compounds with nitrate net uptake by roots of beech (Fagus sylvatica) seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1529–1537. , , , .
- 1998. Nitrogen deposition and its contribution to nitrogen cycling and associated soil processes. New Phytologist 139: 49–58. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Uptake and utilization of atmospheric ammonia in three native Poacea species: leaf conductance, composition of apoplastic solution and interactions with root nitrogen supply. New Phytologist 141: 71–73. , , , .
- 1989. Environmental effects on nitrogen dynamics in soybean under conservation and clean tillage systems. Agronomy Journal 81: 623–631. , , , .
- 2001. Nitrogen oxide fluxes between corn (Zea mays L.) leaves and the atmosphere. Atmospheric Environment 35: 975–983. , .
- 2001. N budget and NH3 exchange of a grass/clover crop at two levels of N application. Plant and Soil 235: 243–252. , , , , .
- 1997. Untersuchungen zur Ammoniakimmission und zum Stickstoffhaushalt auf ungekalkten und neugekalkten Flächen in einem stickstoffübersättigen Fichtenökosystem. PhD thesis LMU München, Germany. .
- 1996. Ammonia compensation points in two cultivars of Hordeum vulgare L. during vegetative and generative growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 1299–1306. , , .
- 1995. Apoplastic pH and ammonium concentrations in leaves of Brassica napus L. Plant Physiology 109: 1453–1460. , .
- 1996. Ammonia flux between oilseed rape plants and the atmosphere in response to changes in leaf temperature, light intensity and air humidity. Plant Physiology 112: 67–74. , .
- 1972. Atmospheric ammonia: Absorption by plant leaves. Science 175: 771–772. , , .
- 1994. N demand and the regulation of nitrate uptake. Plant Physiology 105: 3–7. , .
- 1987. Pine Forests a negligible sink for atmospheric nitrogen in rural Sweden. Tellus 39B: 426–438. .
- 1993. Trace gas exchange between terrestrial plants and atmosphere: carbon dioxide, sulfide and ammonia under the rule of compensation points. In: SlaninaJ, AngelettiG, BeilkeS, eds. General assessment of biogenic emissions and deposition of nitrogen compounds. CEC Air Pollution Report 47 . Brussels, Belgium: Guyot SA, 71–80. , , , .
- 1995. Effects of forest liming on soil processes. Plant and Soil 168–169: 447–470. .
- 1992. Natural vegetation as a source or sink for atmospheric ammonia. A case study. Science 255: 581–583. , .
- 1990. Quantitative measurements of NO2 uptake and metabolism by sunflower plants. Naturwissenschaften 77: 283–285. , , .
- 1988. Interactions between plant cuticles and gaseous air pollutants. Aspects of Applied Biology 17: 97–104. , .
- 1996. Antioxidants in the apoplast and symplast of beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) leaves: Seasonal variations and responses to changing ozone concentrations in air. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 321–328. .
- 1998. A review on the molecular diffusivities of H2O, CO2, CH4, CO, O3, SO2, NH3, N2O, NO and NO2 in air, O2 and N2 near STP. Atmospheric Environment 32: 1111–1127. .
- 1997. Ammonia exchange between terrestrial plants and the atmosphere controlled by plant physiology: Compensation point and CO2 exchange. In: SlaninaS, ed. Biosphere-atmosphere exchange of pollutants and trace substances – experimental and theoretical studies of biogenic emissions and pollutant deposition. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer Verlag, 445–449. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Exchange of gaseous nitrogen compounds between agricultural systems and the atmosphere. Plant and Soil 228: 17–27. .
- 1996. Interaction between atmospheric and pedospheric nitrogen nutrition in spruce (Picea abies L. Karst) seedlings. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 345–355. , , .
- 1989. Seasonal changes in amino acids, protein, and total nitrogen in needles of fertilized Scots pine trees. Tree Physiology 6: 267–281. , .
- 2000. Surface/atmosphere exchange and chemical interaction of gases and aerosols over oilseed rape. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 105: 427–445. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Uptake of NO, NO2 and O3 bei Sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) and tobacco plants (Nicotiana tabacum L.): Dependence on stomatal conductivity. Atmospheric Environment 27A: 2137–2145. , , , , .
- 1993. Incorporation of atmospheric 15NO2- nitrogen into free amino acids by Norway spruce Picea abies (L.) Karst. Oecologia 94: 408–414. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Estimating photosynthetic rate and annual carbon gain in conifers from specific rate and leaf biomass. Oecologia 70: 187–193. , , , .
- 2002. Chemolithoautotrophic nitrifiers in the phyllosphere of a spruce ecosystem receiving high atmospheric nitrogen input. Current Microbiology 44: 56–60. , , , .
- 1993. The deposition of atmospheric ammonia its effects on plants. New Phytologist 125: 283–305. , .
- 1994. Effect of atmospheric ammonia on the nitrogen metabolism of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) needles. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 629–639. , , .
- 1995. The dry deposition of gaseous and particulate nitrogen compounds to a spruce stand. Water, Air and Soil Pollution. 85: 2217–2222. , .
- 2001. Effects of nutrition and soil water availability on water use in a Norway spruce stand. Tree Physiology 21: 851–860. , , , .
- 1995. Quantification of ozone influx and apoplastic ascorbate content in needles of Norway spruce trees (Picea abies L., Karst) at high altitude. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 681–688. , , .
- 2001. Ammonia concentrations and fluxes over a forest in midwestern USA. Atmospheric Environment 35: 5645–5656. , , , .
- 1993. Apoplastic antioxidants as decisive elimination factors within the uptake process of nitrogen dioxide into leaf tissues. New Phytologist 125: 771–785. , , , .
- 1998. Consequences of high loads of nitrogen for spruce (Picea abies L.) and beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) forests. New Phytologist 139: 71–86. , , , .
- 1996. Analysis of uptake and allocation of nitrogen and sulphur compounds by trees in the field. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1491–1498. , , .
- 1980. Uptake of ammonia by selected plant species. Environmental and Experimental Botany 20: 251–257. , .
- 1994. Studies on the dry deposition of NO2 to coniferous species at low NO2 concentrations. Tellus 46B: 339–352. , .
- 1993. Dry deposition of nitrogen dioxide and ozone to coniferous forests. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 5159–5172. , , .
- 2000. Physiological regulation of plant-atmosphere ammonia exchange. Plant and Soil 221: 95–102. , , , , , .
- 1996. Interactive effects of elevated CO2, ozone and drought stress on the activities of antioxidative enzymes in needles of Norway spruce trees (Picea abies,(L.) Karsten) grown with luxurious N-supply. Journal of Plant Physiology. 148: 351–355. , , .
- 2001. Leaf uptake of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in a tropical wet forest: implications for tropospheric chemistry. Oecologia 127: 214–221. , , , .
- 1998. Impact of gaseous nitrogen on plant functioning. New Phytologist 139: 61–70. , , , .
- 1995. Vegetation atmosphere exchange of ammonia: Canopy cycling and the impacts of elevated nitrogen inputs. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 85: 2057–2063. , , , .
- 2001. Biosphere–atmosphere interactions of ammonia with grasslands: Experimental strategy and results from a new European initiative. Plant & Soil 228: 131–145. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Fluxes of ammonia over oilseed rape – Overview of the EXAMINE experiment. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 105: 327–349. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Absorption of atmospheric NO2 by spruce (Picea abies) trees. II. Parameterization of NO2 fluxes by controlled dynamic chamber experiments. New Phytologist 134: 257–266. , , .
- 1991. Absorption of atmospheric NO2 by spruce (Picea abies L. Karst) trees I. NO2 influx and its correlation with nitrate reduction. New Phytologist 117: 575–585. , , , , .
- 1990. Effects of NH3 and (NH4)2SO4deposition on terrestrial semi-natural vegetation on nutrient-poor soils. Project 124/125, phase II. Dutch Priority Programme on Acidification. IPO report R 90/06, RIN report 90/20.Wageningen, The Netherlands: Institute of Plant Protection. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The effective thickness of water films on leaves. Atmospheric Environment 30: 2933–2936. , .
- 1989. A study of the adsorption of NH3 and SO2 on leaf surfaces. Atmospheric Environment 23: 1479–1486. , , , .
- 1987. Analysis of the uptake of atmospheric ammonia by leaves of Phaseolus vulgaris. Atmospheric Environment 8: 1759–1763. , , , , .
- 1990. The effect of wind velocity, air temperature and humidity on ammonia and sulfur dioxide transfer into bean leaves (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Atmospheric Environment 24A: 1263–1270. , , .
- 1989. Effect of carbon monoxide and light on ammonium and nitrite oxidation by chemolithoautotrophic bacteria. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 57: 69–76. , , .
- 1995. Experimentelle Pflanzenökologie: Grundlagen und Anwendungen. Stuttgart, Germany: Thieme. , , .
- 1997. Ozone and NO2 exchange to fruit orchards. Atmospheric Environment 31: 2767–2776. , , , .
- 1993. Aufnahme und Metabolisierung Von Atmosphärischem Stickstoffdioxid (NO2) in Weizen (Triticum Aestivum L.). Frankfurt, Germany: Wissenschafts-Verlag Maraun. .
- 1996. Dependency of nitrogen dioxide fluxes to wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) leaves from NO2 concentration, light intensity, temperature and relative humidity determined from controlled dynamic chamber experiments. Atmospheric Environment 30: 3001–3009. , .
- 1990. Why are atmospheric oxides of N usually phytotoxic and not alternative fertilizers? New Phytologist 115: 395–429. .
- 1989. Flux Measurement Techniques. In: LenschowDH, HicksBB, eds. Global tropospheric chemistry. Boulder, CO, USA: National Center for Atmospheric Research, 31–46. , , .
- 2000. Role of climate, crown position, tree age and altitude in calculated ozone flux into needles of Picea abies and Pinus cembra: a synthesis. Environmental Pollution 109: 415–422. , , , , .
- 1998. Ammonia exchange over coniferous forests. Atmospheric Environment 32: 441–451. , .