Abscisic acid modifies the changes in lipids brought about by water stress in the moss Atrichum androgynum
Article first published online: 21 OCT 2002
Volume 156, Issue 2, pages 255–264, November 2002
How to Cite
Guschina, I. A., Harwood, J. L., Smith, M. and Beckett, R. P. (2002), Abscisic acid modifies the changes in lipids brought about by water stress in the moss Atrichum androgynum. New Phytologist, 156: 255–264. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00517.x
- Issue published online: 21 OCT 2002
- Article first published online: 21 OCT 2002
- Received: 2 May 2002 Accepted: 29 July 2002
- 1991. Contrasting photo- and thermoperiod-induced changes in abscisic acid and lipid contents in leaves of mungbean seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 83: 346–352. , , , , .
- 1992. A reappraisal of the use of DMSO for the extraction and determination of chlorophyll-a and chlorophyll-b in lichens and higher plants. Environmental and Experimental Botany 32: 85–100. , , , , .
- 1999. Partial dehydration and ABA induce tolerance to desiccation-induced ion leakage in the moss Atrichum androgynum. South African Journal of Botany 65: 212–217. .
- 2001. ABA-induced tolerance to desiccation-induced ion leakage in the moss Atrichum androgynum. Plant Growth Regulation. 35: 131–135. .
- 1997. Seasonal variations in tolerance to ion leakage following desiccation in the moss Atrichum androgynum from a KwaZulu-Natal Afromontane forest. South African Journal of Botany 63: 276–279. , .
- 2000. ABA treatment increases both the desiccation tolerance of photosynthesis, and nonphotochemical quenching in the moss Atrichum undulatum. Plant Ecology 151: 65–71. , , .
- 1993. Abscisic acid and desiccation tolerance in mosses. Botanica Acta 106: 103–106. , .
- 1997. Plant responses to water deficit. Trends in Plant Science 2: 48–54. .
- 1979. Desiccation effects and cation distribution in bryophytes. New Phytologist 82: 115–125. , .
- 1994. Peculiarities of lipid distribution in bryophytes: taxonomic and ecological aspects. Biochemistry (Moscow) 59: 1227–1238. .
- 2002. Analysis of lipids in lichens. In: KrannerI, BeckettRP, VarmaI, eds. Protocols in lichenology: culturing, biochemistry, ecophysiology and use in biomonitoring. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 332–347. .
- 1997. Effects of an abscisic acid pretreatment on membrane leakage and lipid composition of Vigna unguiculata leaf discs subjected to osmotic stress. Plant Science 130: 11–18. , .
- 1989. Effects of CaCl2 and ABA on changes in H2O2 metabolism in two jute species under water deficit stress. Journal of Plant Physiology 135: 179–183. , .
- 2000. Control of morphogenesis in bryophytes. In: ShawAJ, GoffinetB, eds. Bryophyte biology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 199–224. .
- 2002. Biomarkers for membrane damage and pollution-induced oxidative stress in lichens. In: NimmisPL, ScheideggerC, PurvisPA, eds. Monitoring with lichens – lichen monitoring. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer, 97–110. , , , .
- 1995. Effect of drought-stress on lipids in rape leaves. Phytochemistry 40: 1383–1386. , , .
- 1993. Lipids of bryophytes. Progress in Lipid Research 32: 281–356. .
- 1996. Betaine ether-linked glycerolipids: chemistry and biology. Progress in Lipid Research 35: 1–52. .
- 1981. Drought tolerance in two mosses: correlation with enzymatic defence against lipid peroxidation. Journal of Experimental Botany 32: 79–91. , .
- 1989. Enzymatic breakdown of polar lipids in cotton leaves under water stress. 1. Degradation of monogalactosyl-diacylglycerol. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 27: 495–502. , , , .
- 1999. Enzymatic activity and gene expression under water stress of phospholipase D in two cultivars of Vigna unguiculata L. Walp. differing in drought tolerance. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 1257–1265. , , , , .
- 1996. Phosphatidic acid: a lipid messenger involved in intracellular and extracellular signalling. Cell Signalling 8: 341–347. .
- 1991. Chemistry and biochemistry of 4-hydroxynonenal, malondialdehyde and related aldehydes. Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine 11: 81–128. , , .
- 1989. Abscisic acid of high osmoticum promotes accumulation of long-chain fatty acids in developing embryos of Brassica napus. Plant Sciences 61: 213–217. , .
- 2000. Water deficit triggers phospholipase D activity in the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum. Plant Cell 12: 111–123. , , , , .
- 1980. Degradation of acyl lipids: hydrolytic and oxidation enzymes. In: StumpfPK, ConnEE, eds. The biochemistry of plants, Vol. 4. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 85–130. .
- 1963. The rapid incorporation of phosphate into mitochondrial lipids. Journal of Biological Chemistry 238: 59–63. , , , .
- 1997. Mechanistic aspects of xanthophyll cycle dependent photoprotection in higher plant chloroplasts and leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 99: 197–209. .
- 2002. Lipid biochemistry, 5th edn. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific. , , .
- 1992. Reserve lipid-accumulation and translocation of C-14 in the photosynthetically active and senescent shoot parts of Dicranum elongatum. Physiologia Plantarum 85: 111–119. , .
- 1980. Plant acyl lipids: structure, distribution, and analysis. In: StumpfPK, Conn, EE eds. The Biochemistry of plants. Lipids, Vol. 4. New York: Academic Press, 1–55. .
- 1998. Involvement of chloroplast lipids in the reaction of plants submitted to stress. In: SiegenthalerP-A, MurataN, eds. Lipids in photosynthesis: structure, function and genetics. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer, 287–302. .
- 1994. Abscisic acid and the induction of desiccation tolerance in the extremely xerophilic liverwort Exormotheca holstii. Planta 194: 525–531. , , , .
- 1987. Separation and analysis of membrane lipid components. In: FindlayJBC, EvansWH, eds. Biological membranes: a practical approach. Oxford, UK: IRL Press, 103–137. .
- 1997. Induction of lipid peroxidation during heavy metal stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and influence of plasma membrane fatty acid unsaturation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63: 2971–2976. , .
- 2000. A stress-inducible gene for 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase involved in abscisic acid biosynthesis under water stress in drought-tolerant cowpea. Plant Physiology 123: 553–562. , , , .
- 1999. Generation of hydroxyl radicals and its relation to cellular oxidative damage in plants subjected to water stress. Acta Botanica Sinica 41: 229–234. .
- 1986. Techniques in lipidology, 2nd edn. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier. .
- 2000. Drought effects on membrane lipids and photosynthetic activity in different peanut cultivars. Photosynthetica 38: 7–12. , , , , .
- 1990. A biophysical study of abscisic acid interaction with membrane phospholipid components. New Phytologist 116: 487–498. , , , , .
- 1998. Abscisic acid signal transduction. Annual Review in Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 199–222. , .
- 1992. The effects of water deficit stress on plant membrane lipids. Progress in Lipid Research 31: 335–343. .
- 1995. Modulation of soybean lipoxygenase expression and membrane oxidation by water deficit. FEBS Letters 371: 223–226. , , , .
- 1999. Sequence analysis of expressed sequence tags from an ABA-treated cDNA library identifies stress response genes in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Plant and Cell Physiology 40: 378–387. , , , , , , .
- 2001. A novel patatin-like gene stimulated by drought stress encodes a galactolipid acyl hydrolase. FEBS Letters. 491: 188–192. , , , , , .
- 2001. ABA increases the desiccation tolerance of photosynthesis in the Afromontane understorey moss Atrichum androgynum. Annals of Botany 86: 1093–1100. , , , .
- 2002. An oxidative burst of hydrogen peroxide during rehydration following desiccation in the moss Atrichum androgynum. New Phytologist 155: 275–283. , , .
- 2001. Hyperosmotic stress rapidly generates lyso-phosphatidic acid in Chlamydomonas. Plant Journal 25: 541–548. , , , , .
- 1985. Isolation of chloroplast envelopes from Chlamydomonas. Lipid and polypeptide composition. Plant Science 41: 91–104. , , .
- 1992. Energy coupling, membrane lipids and structure of thylakoids of lupin plants submitted to water stress. Photosynthesis 32: 95–107. , , , .
- 2001. High rates of extracellular superoxide production in bryophytes and lichens, and an oxidative burst in response to rehydration following desiccation. New Phytologist 152: 333–343. , .
- 2000. Hyperosmotic stress stimulates phospholipase D activity and elevates the level of phosphatidic acid and diacylglycerol pyrophosphate. Plant Journal 22: 147–154. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Unusual composition of thylakoid membranes of the resurrection plant Boea hydroscopica: Changes in lipids upon dehydration and rehydration. Physiologia Plantarum 94: 135–142. , , , .
- 1998. ‘To dryness and beyond’: preparation for the dried state and rehydration in vegetative desiccation tolerant plants. Plant Growth Regulation 24: 193–201. , , .
- 2000. The origin of vegetative desiccation tolerance in land plants. Plant Ecology 151: 85–100. , , .
- 1996. Drought stress in seedlings: lipid metabolism and lipid peroxidation during recovery from drought in Lotus corniculatus and Cerastium fontanum. Physiologia Plantarum 96: 577–584. , , , .
- 1985. Effects of water stress on lipid metabolism in cotton leaves. Phytochemistry 24: 723–727. , , , , .
- 1987. Effect of drought on [1–14C]-oleic and [1–14C]-linoleic acid desaturation in cotton leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 69: 147–150. , , , , .
- 1994. Membranes and organelles of dehydrated Selaginella and Tortula retain their normal configuration and structural integrity – freeze-fracture evidence. Protoplasma 178: 57–65. , , .
- 1994. Response of Brassica napus L. microspore-derived embryos to exogenous abscisic acid and desiccation. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology Plant 30P: 196–203. , , .
- 2000. Mosses and alternative adaptation to life on land. New Phytologist 148: 1–6. .
- 1997. Desiccation-tolerant Sporobolus stapfianus: lipid composition and cellular ultrastructure during dehydration and rehydration. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1269–1279. , , , , , .
- 1997. Leaf membrane lipids and drought tolerance in young coconut palms (Cocos nucifera L.). European Journal of Agronomy 6: 25–33. , , , , , .
- 1993. Characterization of protein synthetic changes in a desiccation-tolerant fern, Polypodium virginianum– comparison of the effects of drying, rehydration and abscisic acid. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 921–928. , .
- 2000. Abscisic acid stimulation of phospholipase D in the barley aleurone is G-protein-mediated and localized to the plasma membrane. Plant Physiology 124: 693–702. , .
- 1994. Osmotic potential and abscisic acid regulate triacylglycerol synthesis in developing wheat embryos. Planta 192: 9–15. , .
- 1998. Enzymatic degradation of polar lipids in Vigna unguiculata leaves and influence of drought stress. Physiologia Plantarum 104: 577–586. , , , , .
- 1994. General metabolic changes in leaf lipids in response to ozone. Plant Cell Physiology. 35: 53–62. , , .
- 1991. Radical formation and accumulation in vivo, in desiccation tolerant and intolerant mosses. Free Radical Research Communications 15: 133–141. , , , .
- 1992. The combined effects of desiccation and irradiance on mosses from xeric and hydric habitats. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1023–1030. , , .
- 1998. Molecular responses to water stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Plant Research. 111: 345–351. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Microviscosity of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) fruit protoplast membranes is altered by triacontanol and abscisic acid. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1323: 263–271. , , .
- 1993. The role of active oxygen in the response of plants to water deficit and desiccation. New Phytologist 125: 27–58. .
- 1992. Effect of dehydration and rehydration on the polar lipid and fatty acid composition of Ramonda species. Canadian Journal of Botany 70: 107–113. , , , .
- 1982. Stability and synthesis of phospholipids during desiccation and rehydration of a desiccation-tolerant and a desiccation-intolerant moss. Plant Physiology 69: 724–727. , .
- 1991. Abscisic acid promotes fusion of phospholipid vesicles. Phytochemistry 30: 3539–3544. , , , .
- 1953. A modified peroxide test for detection of lipid oxidation in dairy products. Journal of Dairy Science 37: 202–208. , , , .
- 1993. Rehydration induces rapid onset of lipid biosynthesis in desiccated Nostoc commune (Cyanobacteria). Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1168: 228–237. , , .
- 1991. The biological significance of malondialdehyde determination in the assessment of tissue oxidative stress. Life Sciences 48: 301–309. .
- 1975. A universal reagent for phospholipid analysis. Journal of Chromatagraphy 114: 129–141. , , .
- 2000. Multiple forms of phospholipase D in plants: the gene family, catalytic and regulatory properties, and cellular functions. Progress in Lipid Research 39: 109–149. .
- 1991. Abscisic-acid-induced drought tolerance in Funaria hygrometrica Hedw. Planta 186: 99–103. , , , .
- 1997. Effects of abscisic acid and temperature on erucic acid accumulation in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). Journal of Plant Physiology 150: 414–419. , , .
- 1998. Regulation of elongase activity by abscisic acid and temperature in microspore-derived embryos of oilseed rape (Brassica napus). Physiologia Plantarum 102: 185–191. , , , .