Nitrogen translocation in Sphagnum mosses: effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition
Article first published online: 21 OCT 2002
Volume 156, Issue 2, pages 241–253, November 2002
How to Cite
Aldous, A. R. (2002), Nitrogen translocation in Sphagnum mosses: effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition. New Phytologist, 156: 241–253. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00518.x
- Issue published online: 21 OCT 2002
- Article first published online: 21 OCT 2002
- Received: 27 February 2002 Accepted: 29 July 2002
- 1990. Nutrient use efficiency in evergreen and deciduous species from heathlands. Oecologia 84: 391–397. .
- 1996. Nutrient resorption from senescing leaves of perennials: are there general patterns? Journal of Ecology 84: 597–608. .
- 1999. Plant-mediated controls on nutrient cycling in temperate fens and bogs. Ecology 80: 2170–2181. , , .
- 2001. Nitrogen-use-efficiency in Sphagnum mosses: effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition. PhD thesis. Ithaca, NY, USA: Cornell University. .
- 2002 Nitrogen retention by Sphagnum mosses: response to atmospheric nitrogen deposition. Canadian Journal of Botany 80: 721–731. .
- 1990. Production and depth distribution of fine roots in a boreal open bog. Annals Botanica Fennici 27: 261–265. .
- 1995. Elemental concentrations in fresh snowfall across a regional transect in the northeastern US – apparent sources and contribution to acidity. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 84: 269–286. , , , .
- 1978. Nitrogen fixation in wet minerotrophic moss communities of a subarctic mire. Oikos 31: 236–246. , , .
- 1995. How Sphagnum bogs down other plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 270–275. .
- 1995. Nutrient-use efficiency: a litterfall index, a model, and a test along a nutrient availability gradient in North Carolina peatlands. American Naturalist 145: 1–21. , , , .
- 1998. Carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus mineralization in northern wetlands. Ecology 79: 1545–1561. , , .
- 1990. Bryophytes and nutrient cycling. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 104: 129–147. , .
- CASTNet. 199899. Environmental Protection Agency: Clean air status and trends network. Washington, DC, USA: EPA Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards.
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260.
- 1991. Effects of multiple stresses on nutrient availability and use. In: MooneyHA, WinnerWE, PellEJ, eds. Responses of plants to multiple stresses. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 67–88.
- 1989. Differences in growth and nutrient use among arctic plant growth forms. Functional Ecology 3: 73–80. , .
- 1982. Dinitrogen fixation by surface peat and Sphagnum in an ombrotrophic bog. Canadian Journal of Botany 60: 538–543. , .
- 1995. Regional precipitation and surface water trends in southeastern Canada (1983–91). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 52: 197–212. , , , , , .
- 1970. The growth of Sphagnum: methods of measurement. Journal of Ecology 58: 13–49. .
- 1991. The eccentric bogs of Maine: a rare wetland type in the United States. Orono, ME, USA: Maine Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Maine. , .
- 1995. Long-term trends in the chemistry of precipitation and lake water in the Adirondack region of New York, USA. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 85: 583–588. , , , .
- 1987. Processes and causes of lake acidification during spring snowmelt in the west-central Adirondack Mountains, New York. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 44: 1595–1602. , , , , .
- 1998a. Short-term effect of nitrogen enrichment on the microbial communities of a peatland. Hydrobiologia 373/374: 111–119. , , , .
- 1998b. The microbial loop at the surface of a peatland: structure, function, and impact of nutrient input. Microbial Ecology 35: 83–93. , , , .
- 1973. Nitrogen fixation in a subarctic mire. Oikos 24: 8–15. , .
- 1982. Profiles of water content and pore size in Sphagnum and peat and their relation to peat bog ecology. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 215: 299–325. , .
- 1987. Biological dinitrogen fixation (acetylene reduction) exhibited by blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) in association with mosses gathered on Surtsey, Iceland. Arctic and Alpine Research 19: 432–436. , , , .
- 1992. Effects of plants species on nutrient cycling. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 7: 336–339. .
- 1988. Nitrogen fixation in freshwater, estuarine, and marine ecosystems. 1. Rates and importance. Limnology and Oceanography 33: 669–687. , , .
- 1990. Rapid physiological adjustment of roots to localized soil enrichment. Nature 344: 58–59. , , .
- 1999. Seasonal partitioning of nitrogen by plants and soil microorganisms in an alpine ecosystem. Ecology 80: 1883–1891. , , , .
- 1997. Competition for nitrogen between plants and soil microorganisms. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 12: 139–143. , .
- 1988. Vegetation structure and the interception of acidic deposition by ombrotrophic mires. In: VerhoevenJTA, HeilGW, WergerMJ, eds. Vegetation structure in relation to carbon and nutrient economy. The Hague, The Netherlands: SPB Academic Publishing, 137–147. , .
- 1997. Pattens of retention and utilization of aerially deposited nitrogen in boreal peatlands. Ecoscience 4: 106–116. , .
- 1993. Le basi morfologiche della conduzione degli elaborati nelle Briofite. Informatore Botanico Italiano 25: 256–259. .
- 1998a. The leafy stems of Sphagnum (Bryophyta) contain highly differentiated polarized cells with axial arrays of endoplasmic microtubules. New Phytologist 140: 567–579. , .
- 1998b. Development of the leafy shoot in Sphagnum (Bryophyta) involves the activity of both apical and subapical meristems. New Phytologist 140: 581–595. , .
- 1994. Atmospheric deposition of nutrients and pollutants in North America: an ecological perspective. Ecological Applications 4: 629–650. .
- 1988. Patterns in the growth and the accumulation of inorganic constituents in the Sphagnum cover on ombrotrophic bogs in Scandinavia. Oikos 53: 105–120. .
- 1990. Constant or increasing nitrogen concentrations in Sphagnum mosses on mires in Southern Sweden during the last few decades. Aquilo Series Botanica 28: 57–65. .
- 1993. Mineral nutrients in vegetation and surface layers of Sphagnum-dominated peat-forming systems. Advances in Bryology 5: 223–248. .
- NADP/NTN (National Atmospheric Deposition Program/National Trends Network). 199799. Data Summary. Fort Collins, CO, USA: NADP/NTN Coordinating Office, Natural Resources Ecology Laboratory, Colorado. State University.
- 1993. A spatial model of atmospheric deposition for the northeastern US. Ecological Applications 3: 459–472. , , , , , .
- 1990. Growth, production, and decomposition dynamics of Sphagnum under natural and experimentally acidified conditions. Ecology 71: 1986–2000. , , .
- 1980. Nitrogen cycling in a subarctic ombrotrophic mire. Ecological Bulletins 30: 209–234. , .
- 1989. Transport of carbon and phosphorus about Sphagnum. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 237: 63–84. , .
- 1996. Biomass and production of two vascular plants in a boreal mesotrophic fen. Canadian Journal of Botany 74: 934–938. .
- SAS Institute Inc. 1990. SAS/STAT user's guide, version 6, 4th edn. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.
- 1993. Identifying sources of snowmelt acidification with a watershed mixing model. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 67: 345–365. , .
- 1994. Concentrations in air and deposition of acidic components in Poland. Ecological Engineering 3: 217–224. .
- 1991. Biogeochemistry: an analysis of global change. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. .
- 1991. Nitrogenase activity by Hapalosiphon flexuosus associated with Sphagnum erythrocalyx mats in the cloud forest on the volcano La Soufriere, Guadeloupe, French West Indies. Biotropica 23: 134–140. .
- 1984. The surface chemistry of soils. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 1954. Some observations on the nutrient turn-over in a bog community dominated by Eriophorum vaginatum L. Oikos 5: 189–194. .
- 1998. Deposition of nitrogen and other major inorganic compounds in Norway, 1992–96. Environmental Pollution 102: 299–304. , .
- 1988. Nitrogen cycling in a forested Minnesota bog. Canadian Journal of Botany 66: 435–449. , .
- 1982. Nutrient cycling and nutrient use efficiency. American Naturalist 119: 553–572. .
- 1990. Growth and production dynamics of boreal mosses over climatic, chemical and topographic gradients. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 104: 35–59. .
- 1990. The relationships of vegetation to surface water chemistry and peat chemistry in fens of Alberta, Canada. Vegetatio 89: 87–106. , .
- 1980. Nitrogen fixation and the nitrogen balance in peatland ecosystems. Ecology 61: 1185–1198. , .
- 1997. Cupric oxide oxidation products of North American peat. MSc thesis, Ithaca, NY, USA: Cornell University. .