Elevated pCO2 affects N-metabolism of young poplar plants (Populus tremula × P. alba) differently at deficient and sufficient N-supply
Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2002
Volume 157, Issue 1, pages 65–81, January 2003
How to Cite
Kruse, J., Hetzger, I., Mai, C., Polle, A. and Rennenberg, H. (2003), Elevated pCO2 affects N-metabolism of young poplar plants (Populus tremula × P. alba) differently at deficient and sufficient N-supply. New Phytologist, 157: 65–81. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00656.x
- Issue online: 19 DEC 2002
- Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2002
- Received: 29 May 2002 Accepted: 16 September 2002
- 1986. The partitioning of nitrate assimilation between root and shoot of higher plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 9: 511–519. .
- 1987. Rubisco: Structure, mechanisms, and prospects for improvement. In: HatchMD, BoardmanNK, eds. The biochemistry of plants: photosynthesis. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 131–218. , .
- 1992. The partitioning of nitrate assimilation between root and shoot of a range of temperate cereals and pasture grasses. Annals of Botany 70: 271–276. , , , .
- 1991. Effects of source-sink relations on photosynthetic acclimation to elevated cabon dioxide. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 869–876. .
- 1997. Growth and root NO3− and PO43− uptake capacity of three desert species in response to atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 353–358. , , , .
- 1996. Differential responses of root uptake kinetics of ammonium and nitrate to enriched atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations in field grown loblolly pine. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 367–371. , , , .
- 2001. Ammonium and nitrate acquisition by plants in response to elevated CO2 concentration: the roles of root physiology and architecture. Tree Physiology 21: 137–144. , .
- 1997. Effect of elevated carbon dioxide and nutrient status on growth, dry matter partitioning and nutrient content of Poa alpina var. Vivpara L. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1477–1486. , , .
- 1996. Regulation of shoot: root ratio by cytokinins from roots in Urtica dioica: Opinion. Plant and Soil 185: 3–12. .
- 1985. Resource limitation in plants – an economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 363–392. , , .
- 2000. Emerging model systems in plant biology: Poplar (Populus) as a model forest tree. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 19: 306–313. , , , .
- 1983. Functional equilibrium: Sense or non-sense? Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 31: 335–348. .
- 1999. Amino acid transport. In: SinghBK, ed. Plant amino acids. Princeton, NJ, USA: American Cyanamid Company. .
- 1990. Growth and biomass partitioning in Eucalyptus grandis seedlings in response to nitrogen supply. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 17: 503–515. , .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. , .
- 1997. More efficient plants: a consequence of rising atmospheric CO2? Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 609–639. , , .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1986. The photosynthetic-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishTA, ed. On the economy of plant, form and function. London, UK: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 1997. Nitrate nutrition of central European trees. In: RennenbergH, EschrichW, ZieglerH, eds. Trees-contributions to modern tree physiology. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 273–291. , .
- 1991. Distribution of NO3− reduction between roots and shoots of peach tree seedlings as affected by NO3− uptake rate. Physiologia Plantarum 82: 505–512. , , , .
- 2001. Tobacco plants that lack expression of a functional nitrate reductase in the roots show changes in growth rates and metabolite accumulation. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1251–1258. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Pflanzenbiochemie. Akademischer Verlag. .
- 1982. Relative addition rate and external concentration; driving variables used in plant nutrition research. Plant, Cell & Environment 5: 443–453. .
- 1990. Rapid physiological adjustment of roots to localized soil enrichment. Nature 344: 58–60. , , .
- 1996. Effects of CO2 and N on growth and N dynamics in ponderosa pine: results from the first two growing seasons. In: KochGW, MooneyHA, eds. Carbon dioxide and terrestrial ecosystems. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 23–40. , , , .
- 1991. Photosynthetic response of geranium to elevated CO2 as affected by leaf age and time of CO2 exposure. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 2482–2488. , , .
- 1994. Biomass fractionation in plants: a reconsideration of definitions based on plant functions. In: EditorA, ed. A whole plant perspective on carbon–nitrogen interactions. The Hague, The Netherlands: SPB Academic Publishing, 173–187. .
- 2002. Elevated pCO2 favours nitrate reduction in roots of wildtype tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum cv. Gat.) and significantly alters N-metabolism in transformed tobacco lacking functional nitrate reductase in the roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2351–2367. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Growth and C allocation of Populus tremuloides genotypes in response to atmospheric CO2 and soil N availability. New Phytologist 140: 251–259. , , , .
- 1992. Transgenic poplars: expression of chimeric genes using four different constructs. Plant Cell Reports 11: 137–141. , , , , .
- 2002. Nitrate and Phosphate Availability and Distribution Have Different Effects on Root System Architecture of Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 29: 751–762. , , , .
- 2001. Interactive effects of elevated CO2 concentration and nitrogen supply on partitioning of newly fixed 13C and 15N between shoot and roots of pedunculate oak seedlings (Quercus robur). Tree Physiology 21: 163–172. , , , .
- 2002. Effects of long-term exposure to elevated CO2 and N fertilization on the development of photosynthetic capacity and biomass accumulation in Quercus suber L. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 105–113. , , , , .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants, 2nd edn. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic press; Harcourt Brace Co. .
- 1996. Ecophysiology of the internal cycling of nitrogen for tree growth. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenernahrung und Bodenkunde 159: 1–10. .
- 1997. Elevated CO2 during leaf ontogeny. A new perspestive on acclimation. Plant Physiology 115: 1195–1200. , , , , , .
- 1999. The biochemical and molecular basis for photosynthetic acclimation to elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 567–582. , , , .
- 1996. Is coordination of leaf and root growth mediated by abscisic acid? Opinion. Plant and Soil 185: 33–49. , .
- 2000. Effect of elevated CO2 and varying nutrient application rates on physiology and biomass accumulation of Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis). Tree Physiology 20: 421–434. , , , .
- 1986. Carbon–nitrogen interactions in CO2-enriched white oak: Physiological and long-term perspectives. Tree Physiology 2: 233–241. , , .
- 2000. Xylem and phloem transport, assimilation and partitioning of nitrogen in Ricinus communis under several nutritional conditions. In: Martins-LoucaoMA, LipsSH, eds. Nitrogen in a sustainable ecosystem: from the cell to the plant. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers: Spektrum, 211–225. .
- 1996. Analysis of uptake and allocation of nitrogen and sulphur compounds by trees in the field. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1491–1498. , , .
- 2000. Kinetics of nitrogen uptake by Populus tremuloides in relation to atmospheric CO2 and soil nitrogen availability. Tree Physiology 20: 265–270. , , , .
- 1965. Sap pressure in vascular plants. Science 148: 339–346. , , , .
- 1999. Changes in the xylem exudate composition of poplar (Populus tremula × P. alba) – dependent on the nitrogen and potassium supply. Journal of Experimental Botany, 50, no. 341, 1797–1806. , .
- 1991. Rising CO2 levels and their potential significance for carbon flow in photosynthetic cells. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 741–763. .
- 1999. The interaction between elevated carbon dioxide and nitrogen nutrition: the physiological and molecular background. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 583–621. , .
- 1994. Plant growth, storage, and resource allocation: From flux control in a metabolic chain to the whole-plant level. In: SchulzeDE, ed. Flux control in biological systems. London, UK: Academic Press, Inc., 57–118. , .
- 2001. Photosynthesis, light and nitrogen relationships in a young deciduous forest canopy under open-air CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1257–1268. , , , , , .
- Strain. 1991. Root restriction as a factor in photosynthetic acclimation of cotton seedlings grown in elevated carbon dioxide. Plant Physiology 96: 627–634. ,
- 2001. Elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration favors nitrogen partitioning into roots of tobacco plants under nitrogen deficiency by decreasing nitrogen demand of the shoot. Journal of Plant Nutrition 24: 835–854. , , .
- 2000. Genotypic variation in physiological and growth responses of Populus tremuloides to elevated CO2 concentration. Tree Physiology 20: 1019–1028. , , , .