Plant water relations influence carbon gain in a grass occurring along sharp gradients of soil temperature
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2003
Volume 157, Issue 2, pages 241–250, February 2003
How to Cite
Germino, M. J. and Wraith, J. M. (2003), Plant water relations influence carbon gain in a grass occurring along sharp gradients of soil temperature. New Phytologist, 157: 241–250. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00663.x
- Issue online: 24 JAN 2003
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2003
- Received: 13 August 2002 Accepted: 29 October 2002
- 1991. Temperature-dependent water and ion transport properties of barley and sorghum roots. I. Relationship to leaf growth. Plant Physiology 97: 426–432. , , .
- 1994. Water relations, mineral nutrition, growth, and 13C discrimination in two apple cultivars under daily episodes of high root-medium temperature. Plant and Soil 162: 125–133. , , , .
- 1991. Soil temperature, root growth, and plant function. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half, 1st edn. New. York, USA: Marcel Dekker, 309–330. .
- 1997. Vegetation change along a geothermal stress gradient at the Te Kopia. Steamfield. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 27: 279–294. .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1998. Introduction to environmental biophysics. New. York, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2000. Temperature effects on hydraulic conductance and water relations of Quercus robur L. Journal of Experimental Botany 348: 1255–1259. , , , .
- 1973. Root temperature and plant growth. Slough, England: Commonwealth Agricultural. Bureaux. .
- 1969. Effect of root/leaf temperature differences on root/shoot ratios in some pasture grasses and clover. Annals of Botany 33: 561–569. .
- 2000. The influence of supra-optimal root-zone temperatures on growth and stomatal conductance in Capsicum annuum L. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 239–248. , , , , .
- 1988. Stomatal closure accounts for the inhibition of photosynthesis by abscisic acid. New Phytologist 108: 263–266. , , .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual. Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 1992. Heterogenous stomatal closure in response to leaf water deficits is not a universal phenomenon. Plant Physiology 98: 660–665. , .
- 2001. Limitations to photosynthesis of lettuce grown under tropical conditions: alleviation by root-zone cooling. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1323–1330. , , .
- 1993. Patterns of fine root mortality in two sugar maple forests. Nature 361: 59–61. , .
- 1985. Partitioning stomatal and nonstomatal limitations to photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 95–104. .
- 1984. Thermal and water relations of roots of desert succulents. Annals of Botany 54: 705–717. , .
- 1996. Monsoonal precipitation responses of shrubs in a cold desert community of the Colorado Plateau. Oecologia 106: 8–17. , , .
- 2001. Aquaporins. A molecular entry into plant water relations. Plant Physiology 125: 135–138. , .
- 1996. Temperature effects on root growth. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half, 2nd edn. New York, USA: Marcel Dekker. 383–396. , .
- 1989. Temperature, water availability, and nutrient levels at various soil depths – consequences for shallow-rooted desert succulents, including nurse plant effects. American Journal of Botany 76: 1486–1492. .
- 1999. Soil water content and water potential relationships. In: SumnerM, ed. Handbook of soil science. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 53–85. , .
- 2001. Developing an ecosystem perspective from experimental monitoring programs. II. Ecophysiological responses of a rare geothermal grass to soil water. Environmental Management 28: 243–253. .
- 2001. Developing an ecosystem perspective from experimental monitoring programs. I. Demographic responses of a rare geothermal grass to soil temperature. Environmental Management 28: 225–242. , .
- 1971. The influence of geothermal temperature gradients upon vegetation patterns in Yellowstone National Park. PhD Disseration, Colorado State University, Ft Collins, CO, USA. .
- 1998. How does water get through roots? Journal of Experimental Botany 322: 775–788. , .
- 1997. Heat- and acid-tolerance of a grass commonly found in geothermal areas within Yellowstone National Park. Plant Science 130: 1–9. , , , .
- 1992. Anatomy of nonuniform photosynthesis. Photosynthesis Research. 31: 195–204. .
- 1999. Plant aquaporins: their molecular biology, biophysics and significance for plant water relations. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1055–1071. , , , .
- 1995. Effects of root temperatures on leaf gas exchange and growth at high air temperatures in Phaseolus acutifolius and Phaseolus vulgaris. Crop Science 35: 490–495. , , ,
- 1988. The geology and remarkable thermal activity of Norris Geyser Basin, Yellowstone National Park. US Geological Survey Professional Paper 1456. . , .
- 2000. Intra- and interspecific variation for summer precipitation use in pinyon-juniper woodlands. Ecological Monographs 70: 517–537. , .
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis, 2nd edn. NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. .