Plant roots release phospholipid surfactants that modify the physical and chemical properties of soil
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2003
Volume 157, Issue 2, pages 315–326, February 2003
How to Cite
Read, D. B., Bengough, A. G., Gregory, P. J., Crawford, J. W., Robinson, D., Scrimgeour, C. M., Young, I. M., Zhang, K. and Zhang, X. (2003), Plant roots release phospholipid surfactants that modify the physical and chemical properties of soil. New Phytologist, 157: 315–326. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00665.x
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2003
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2003
- Received: 3 July 2002 Accepted: 30 October 2002
- 1994. Surfactant-induced reductions in soil hydraulic conductivity. Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation 14: 174–184. , .
- 1989. Effects of addition of bentonite on the hydrocarbon fraction of a podzol soil (A1 Horizon). Journal of Soil Science 40: 685–694. , , , , .
- 1986. The He (I) photoelectron spectra of lipid phosphatides. Chemical Physics Letters 132: 365– 369. , , , .
- 1987. He (I) photoelectron studies of lipid layers. Chemical Physics Letters 135: 119–122. , , , .
- 1995. Biosurfactant production and possible uses in microbial enhanced oil recovery and oil pollution remediation: a review. Bioresource Technology 51: 1–12. .
- 1991. Effects of EPTC and dichlormid on membrane lipid composition of maize leaves and roots. Zeitschrift Fur Naturforschung C 46: 926–930. .
- 1974. Neutral lipids of leaves and stems of Trifolium repens. Phytochemistry 13: 1527–1530. .
- 1985. Soil physics with basic transport models for soil-plant systems. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier. .
- 1989. Gas chromatography and lipids. A practical guide. Ayr, UK: The Oily Press Ltd. .
- 1959. Light and electron microscope studies of the cell wall structure of the root hairs of Raphanus sativus. American Journal of Botany 46: 561–565. , .
- 2000. Effect of maize root mucilage on phosphate adsorption and exchangeability on a synthetic ferrihydrate. Biology and Fertility of Soils 31: 525–532. , , .
- 1980. A closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44: 892–898. .
- 1998. Gross mineralisation of nitrogen during the decomposition of leaf protein I (ribulose-1,5-diphosphate carboxylase) in the presence or absence of sucrose. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 30: 1821–1827. , .
- 1979. Polyprenyl phosphate sugars synthesised during slime-polysaccharide production by membranes of the root-cap cells of maize (Zea mays). Biochemical Journal 178: 661–671. , .
- 1998. Influence of plant morphology on root exudation of maize subjected to mechanical impedance in hydroponic conditions. Plant and Soil 201: 231– 239. , , .
- 1974. Distribution of glycolipids and phospholipids in Pteridium aquilinum. Phytochemistry 13: 979–981. , .
- 1995. Surfactant–induced interactions and hydraulic conductivity changes in soil. Waste Management 15: 463–470. , .
- 1995. Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants , 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 1993. C and N cycling during decomposition of root mucilage, roots and glucose in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 25: 1005–1014. , , , .
- 1999. Roots in soil: Unearthing the complexities of roots and their rhizospheres. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 50: 695–718. .
- 1978. Advanced Level Practical Physics , 4th edn. London, UK: Heinemann. Educational Books. , .
- 1999. Analysis of polysaccharides and monosaccharides in the root mucilage of maize (Zea mays L.) by gas chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A 831: 267–276. , , , .
- 1988. Water transport in and to roots. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 39: 245–265. .
- 1997. Surface tension and viscosity of axenic maize and lupin mucilages. New Phytologist 137: 623–628. , .
- 1994. Soil science: methods and applications. Harlow, UK: Longman Group UK Ltd. .
- 1958. Electron microscope studies of the epidermis of Allium cepa. American Journal of Botany 45: 449–461. , , , .
- 1980. Introduction to colloid and surface chemistry, 3rd edn. London, UK: Butterworths. .
- 1976. Polar lipids of spinach (Spinacea oleracea) Roots. Physiologia Plantarum 38: 221– 223. , , , .
- 1997. A survey of the causes of surfactant-induced changes in hydraulic conductivity. Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation 17: 138–144. .
- 1964. Characterisation and quantification of red cell lipids in normal man. Journal of Lipid Research 5: 318–328. , .
- 2000. Tillage, habitat space and function of soil microbes. Soil and Tillage Research. 53: 201–213. , .