Plant responses to simultaneous stress of waterlogging and shade: amplified or hierarchical effects?
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2003
Volume 157, Issue 2, pages 281–290, February 2003
How to Cite
Lenssen, J. P. M., Menting, F. B. J. and Van der Putten, W. H. (2003), Plant responses to simultaneous stress of waterlogging and shade: amplified or hierarchical effects?. New Phytologist, 157: 281–290. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00666.x
- Issue online: 24 JAN 2003
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2003
- Received: 4 July 2002 Accepted: 24 October 2002
- 1984. The role of maintenance respiration in plant growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 7: 561–569. .
- 1991. Annual plants: potential responses to multiple stresses. In: MooneyHA, WinnerWE, PellEJ, eds. Response of plants to multiple stresses. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 283–305. , .
- 1999. Fertilization effects on interactions between above- and belowground competition in an old field. Ecology 80: 466–480. .
- 1987. Plant responses to multiple environmental factors. Bioscience 37: 49–57. , , , .
- 1994. Interpreting phenotypic variation in plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 187–191. , , .
- 1983. Growth and morphogenesis in sun and shade plants. I. The influence of light intensity. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 32: 49–62. .
- 1992. The ecophysiology of Veronica chamaedrys, V. montana and V. officinalis. II. The interaction of irradiance and water regime. Journal of Ecology 80: 493–504. , .
- 1995. Thirty years of change in the vegetation communities of three valley mires in Suffolk, England. Journal of Applied Ecology 32: 561–577. , .
- 1991. Carbon allocation and response to stress. In: MooneyHA, WinnerWE, PellEJ, eds. Response of plants to multiple stresses. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 104–127. , .
- 1966. Allometry and size in ontogeny and phylogeny. Biological Review 41: 587–640. .
- 1999. The factors controlling species density in herbaceous plant communities: an assessment. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 2: 1–28. .
- 1999. Partitioning of dry mass and leaf area within plants of three species grown at elevated CO2. Functional Ecology 13 (Supll. 1): 3–11. , , .
- 1999. Shading by Phragmites australis: a threat for species-rich fen meadows? Applied Vegetation Science 2: 61–70. , .
- 1989. Effects of competition from shrubs on herbaceous wetland plants: a 4-year field experiment. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 708–716. .
- 1990. How to test for proportionality in the reproductive effort of plants. American Naturalist 135: 291–300. , , .
- 1990. Internal oxygen transport in Rumex species and its significance for respiration under hypoxic conditions. Plant and Soil 122: 39–46. , , , .
- 1999. Control of plant species richness and zonation of functional groups along a freshwater flooding gradient. Oikos 80: 523–534. , , , .
- 1989. Growth consequences of plasticity of plant traits in response to light conditions. Oecologia 78: 508–512. , .
- 1999. Acquisition and allocation of resources in two waterlogging-tolerant grasses. New Phytologist 143: 539–546. , .
- 1993. Light spectral quality, phytochrome and plant competition. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8: 47–51. , .
- 1995. Biometry, the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. San Francisco, CA, USA: Freeman. , .
- 1987. Comparative studies of plant growth and distribution in relation to waterlogging. XII. Growth, photosynthetic capacity and metal ion uptake in Salix caprea and S. cinerea ssp oleifolia. New Phytologist 105: 563–574. , , .
- 2000. Adaptive and inevitable morphological plasticity of three herbaceous species in a multi-species community: field experiment with manipulated nutrients and light. Acta Oecologica 21: 139–147. , .
- 1996. Vegetation zonation in a former tidal area: a vegetation-type response model based on DCA and logistic regression using GIS. Journal of Vegetation Science 7: 505–518. , , .
- 1996. Heukels’ Flora Van Nederland. Groningen, The Netherlands: Wolters- Noordhoff. .
- 1997. Variation in growth form in relation to spectral light quality (red/far-red ratio) in Plantago lanceolata L. in sun and shade populations. Oecologia 111: 452–459. , .
- 2000a. Flooding tolerance of Carex species in relation to field distribution and aerenchyma formation. New Phytologist 148: 93–103. , , , , .
- 2000b. Changes in growth, porosity, and radial oxygen loss from adventitious roots of selected mono- and dicotyledonous wetland species with contrasting types of aerenchyma. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1237–1245. , , , .
- 1991. Aboveground crop mass and species richness of the principle types of herbaceous rich-fen vegetation of lowland England and Wales. Journal of Ecology 79: 285–301. , .
- 1988. Shoot competition and root competition. Journal of Applied Ecology 25: 279–296. .