Changes in leaf hydraulic conductance during leaf shedding in seasonally dry tropical forest
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2003
Volume 158, Issue 2, pages 295–303, May 2003
How to Cite
Brodribb, T. J. and Holbrook, N. M. (2003), Changes in leaf hydraulic conductance during leaf shedding in seasonally dry tropical forest. New Phytologist, 158: 295–303. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00736.x
- Issue published online: 11 APR 2003
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2003
- Received: 19 November 2002 Accepted: 15 January 2003; doi: 10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00736.x
- 1999. Hydraulic conductances of angiosperms versus conifers: similar transport efficiency at the whole-plant level. Tree Physiology 19: 445–452. , , .
- 1996. Determination of the quantum efficiency of photosystem II and non-photochemical quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence in the field. Oecologia 102: 425–432. , , .
- 2000. Stem hydraulic supply is linked to leaf photosynthetic capacity: evidence from New Caledonian and Tasmanian rainforests. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1381–1388. , .
- 2002a. Hydraulic and photosynthetic co-ordination in seasonally dry tropical forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1435–1444. , , .
- 2002b. Relations between stomatal closure, leaf turgor and xylem vulnerability in eight tropical dry forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment (In press.) , , , .
- 1990. What becomes of the transpiration stream? New Phytologist 114: 341–368. .
- 1972. Phenology and other characteristics of tropical semi-deciduous forest in northeastern Costa Rica. Journal of Ecology 60: 147–170. .
- 2001. Long-term tree ring chronologies from sympatric tropical dry-forest trees: individualistic responses to climatic variation. Journal of Tropical Ecology 17: 41–60. , .
- 1990. Plant anatomy, 4th edn. New York, NY, USA: Pergamon Press. .
- 1974. Comparative phenological studies of trees in tropical wet and dry forests in the lowlands of Costa Rica. Journal of Ecology 62: 881–919. , , .
- 2001. Cavitation fatigue. Embolism and refilling cycles can weaken the cavitation resistance of xylem. Plant Physiology 125: 779–786. , , , , .
- 1948. Water transport in plants as a catenary process. Discussions of the Faraday Society 3: 146–153. .
- 1996. Regulation of light harvesting in green plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 47: 655–684. , , .
- 1999. Evidence that hydraulic conductance limits photosynthesis in old Pinus ponderosa trees. Tree Physiology 19: 165–172. , , .
- 2001. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis vary linearly with plant hydraulic conductance in ponderosa pine. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 113–121. , , , .
- 1983. Costa Rican natural history. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1984. A seasonal census of phenolics, fibre and alkaloids in foliage of forest trees in Costa Rica: some factors influencing their distribution and relation to host selection by Sphingidae and Saturniidae. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 21: 439–454. , .
- 1995. Water relations of plants and soils. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1994. Patterns of hydraulic architecture and water relations of two tropical canopy trees with contrasting leaf phenologies: Ochroma pyramidale and Pseudobombax septenatum. Tree Physiology 14: 219–240. , .
- 1973. Cavitation in Ricinus by acoustic detection: induction in excised leaves by various factors. Planta 18: 253–265. .
- 2001. Are sclerophylls and malacophylls hydraulically different? Biologia Plantarum 44: 239–245. .
- 2000. Limitation of stomatal conductance by hydraulic traits: sensing or preventing xylem cavitation? Trees 15: 14–24. , .
- 2001. Xylem cavitation in the leaf of Prunus laurocerasus L. and its impact on leaf hydraulics. Plant Physiology 125: 1700–1709. , , .
- 2000. Seasonal changes in hydraulic conductance, xylem embolism and leaf area in Eucalyptus tetrodonta and Eucalyptus miniata saplings in a north Australian savanna. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 955–965. , .
- 1999. Characterization of the fast and slow reversible components of non-photochemical quenching in isolated pea thylakoids by picosecond time-resolved chlorophyll fluorescence analysis. Biochemistry 38: 12718–12726. , , , .
- 2002. The hydraulic conductance of the angiosperm leaf lamina: a comparison of three measurement methods. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2177–2184. , , , .
- 1995. Influence of leaf water status on stomatal response to humidity, hydraulic conductance, and soil drought in Betula occidentalis. Planta 196: 357–366. , , .
- 2001. Vulnerability to cavitation of leaf minor veins: any impact on leaf gas exchange? Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 851–859. , , , .
- 2002. Changes in stem and leaf hydraulics preceding leaf shedding in Castanea sativa L. Biologia Plantarum 45: 227–234. , , , .
- 1986. Aspects of tissue water relations and seasonal changes of leaf water potential components of evergreen and deciduous species coexisting in tropical dry forests. Oecologia 68: 413–416. .
- 1993. Trade-off between water transport efficiency and leaf life-span in a tropical dry forest. Oecologia 96: 19–23. .
- 2000. Hydraulic constraints on plant gas exchange. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 104: 13–23. .
- 1993. The effect of reduced hydraulic conductance on stomatal conductance and xylem cavitation. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 1075–1082. , , .
- 1997. The cohesion–tension theory of sap ascent: current controversies. Journal of Experimnetal Botany 48: 1753–1765. .
- 2001. Hydrogel control of xylem hydraulic resistance in plants. Science 291: 1059–1062. , , .